Sponsored by:

Cayman for "this" dummy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 11:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Cayman for "this" dummy

I have some cayman questions for racing only. Not street legal. Will never touch the street. I'm looking at base caymans 2009-2012 to fit into a specific SCCA class on Hoosier A/R7's. I'm fabricating everything that's part of the fun for me.

I'm 90% sure Base caymans have PSM? There is a button on the dash to turn it off but if ABS triggers at threshold braking the PSM comes back on? True or False?

What happens to PSM if the yaw sensor is removed? That should inactive PSM and NOT cause motor power derate and keep ABS intact? True or false?

90% sure All base caymans have sport mode button? True or False?

90% sure only PDK cars have sport+? True or false?

Can PSM be turned off and Sport mode be engaged at same time?

Will sport mode work if PSM is inactivated by a system fault (pulling yaw sensor)?

Cars with PASM....If you put double adjustable shocks on the PASM no longer works and you get a dash light only? True or False?

All cars have TPMS. on base caymans you can be under what the car wants to see and the dash lights flash but there are no constant chimes and no engine derate? True or False?

Are there Tuners in LA/Orange County like GMG. who can permanently turn off PSM, optimize the tune, set a hard RPM limit, program PDK, turn off TPMS, program stock ABS?

Are there any other CAN Bus PCM issues I have not thought about that need a work around?

Old 04-17-2022, 08:59 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

All caymans have PSM
SOME have sport, and some PDK have Sport+. All CAN have sport. You can have a dealer add the button and phone in the upgrade for like $2k.

PSM cannot be fully disabled without killing the yaw sensor. On the .2 PSM soft disabled isn’t too bad but I believe most racers still kill it.
ABS is not affected by the yaw sensor kill. Separate note, program ABS for ceramic disks in PIWIS to reduce ice pedal (it softens the parameters)

if the yaw sensor is disabled, sport mode will not enable (fairly confident of this, true for the 987.1)

You can code out PASM, using PIWIS. To run decent shocks. I think you can then also take out the control box (right side of passenger footwell) and wiring

TPMS just gets out of the way if there aren’t sensors. I forget if there’s a light, certainly aren’t any bells.

any Shop with PIWIS can configure out some of the warnings, like airbags, etc.
For rpm limits and the like you need to program the DME, either call Softronic (send in the box) or get a Cobb or the like.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:25 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a light (or 2, a TPMS plus a !) if you have no TPMS sensors and every so often it beeps at you and displays a message and goes looking for sensors but it's not too bad, and TPMS can be coded out. I have TPMS on one set of wheels but not the other, and it doesn't bother me. The TPMS did tell me I had a flat on track one time. And I don't run super low pressure so only once it gave me a hard time about one tire being too low, and I reset the TPMS when my tires were hot and it cleared.

I hate the PSM (maybe it's just my driving ) but I soft disable it, no sport mode, and it still works my back brakes pretty hard. I am debating cutting the yaw wire...

I love my 2.9 Cayman, they are great cars!
Old 04-17-2022, 10:35 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Agree with everything Steve and Eric have said.
it is amazing to me how configurable this car is. With pwis or durametric, you can turn just about everything you don't want off. The only exception is psm, and as noted you can switch the power lead of the yaw sensor to turn it off..

The only thing you missed was ice pedal.. many of us in SPC have the abs program changed to PCCB mode, this really seems to help.

Good luck with your build, they are great cars.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:49 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Dont suppose you would be interested in a 981 2016 MR Clubsport eh?
Old 04-18-2022, 07:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Thank You gents!

Quick Reply: Cayman for "this" dummy