Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

In the 944 NAs the orientation of the brake lines (they point straight up out of the caliper on an NA) is such that they get the maximum ‘stretch’ at compression – like when you are on the brakes hard during a race….951 brake lines come out of the caliper in the middle pointing toward the inside.

If the lines were anchored to the struts then it should not be an issue.

Did you find the “made in China” stamp….?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same failure in a front braided brake line that was installed 24 hours before the failure in a 86 911. Only one side and it came out clean from the crimp. Frightening moment as I was pulling into a restaurant parking lot and the pedal went to the floor. A quick pull of the handbrake brought the car to a stop. Many years ago so I do not remember what brand.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I had 2 or 3 break over 20 years of racing a 944. Got them at either Paragon or Zims, but they always broke after 3 or so years, so like a lot of stuff, you probably should replace them after a couple of years. I always replaced the steel A arms after 2 or so years, even if they looked good. The last steel A arms I bought were $22 apiece, not counting welding the Heim joint in. Never had a failure, but who knows that coulda been luck. I remember seeing a failure on the Daytona banking, at the Brian Redman Reunion in 2004, tore up the car pretty bad. About the title of this thread, I saw a late-model Civic SI do summersaults when a stock brake line broke.

I race a Civic SI now, and until this year couldn't use steel ones. I still haven't changed to steel yet, but probably will before the Runoffs.

Bill Seifert
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I race a Civic SI now, and until this year couldn't use steel ones. I still haven't changed to steel yet, but probably will before the Runoffs.

At the RunOffs, hunt down Lipperini and thank him for leading the charge for SS cars to upgrade the stock brake hoses !
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow glad no one got hurt
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Prof

I've already thanked him. We have wanted that change for years, but Joel has a way with words that got the change done.

Bill
Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lotta Chinese junk out there.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Lotta Chinese junk out there.
Scary.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Looks like they pulled out or blew out. For those not familiar with this track, the section of track immediately prior to the this failure has a hill that makes many cars go light or off the ground. (I can go light in my slow azz 912 and fully 4 wheels airborne in my 911. This unloads the suspension and I wonder if the lines were pulled out rather than blown out. This could also explain why both failed at the same time.

Remember this is a Lemons car and it would have a tuff time getting lite going off the side of a cliff. Add to that was the car wouldnt go over 5k rpm and going up the hill to the crest at that point of the track was a real challenge.

Considering the damage to the tie rod on that side of the car, likley the tow took out the second brake line.

Now back to the incident, the line did fail under heavy braking going into the turn, seeming to point to fluid pressure as the cause. Prior to that time the car was not in any incidents or off track excursions.

And while everyone can draw their own conclusions on the failure, as we'll never be 100% certain, I agree with Steve that brake lines is not to place to try to save a few bucks.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I agree as well. I was just spittballing based on the image of 2 failed lines. Hard to pressure fail two at once and was surmising that the failure could have occured befor braking zone as you would not know it untill the brakes were used. Tow truck damage would more than explain a double failure more so when looking at the big gaff mark in one line. Considering how many many bogus line sets there are out there stock or only from a known full oversight, birth to box, manu might be a safe pick.

Quick Reply: Warning - defective brake lines