Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will win the Conga race?
Jenson Button
5.19%
Lewis Hamilton
20.78%
Michael Schumacher
14.29%
Nico Rosberg
1.30%
Sebastian Vettel
27.27%
Mark Webber
6.49%
Felipe Massa
0%
Fernando Alonso
20.78%
Rubens Barrichello
0%
Nico Hulkenberg
0%
Robert Kubica
0%
Vitaly Petrov
0%
Adrian Sutil
0%
Viantonio Liuzzi
0%
Sebastien Buemi
0%
Jamie Alguersuari
0%
Jarno Trulli
0%
Heikki Kovalainen
0%
Karun Chandhok
1.30%
Bruno Senna
0%
Pedro de la Rosa
0%
Kamui Kobayashi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Lucas di Grassi
0%
Takuma Sato
2.60%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Monaco Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:56 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Digrassi is a StrekStrekStrekStreking ****. He almost called himself out while trying to flirt with FA..
Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Let's face it, he is the guy that was critical of his team Renault when Schumacher passed him in the points in 2006 and said they were not doing enough to get him the championship.
There's a difference between saying the team isn't pushing hard enough and being a prima dona. Funny thing is, everyone of his critics bash him for saying what and how he feels. Frankly I find it refreshing to see a pro athlete with that much to lose tell the truth instead of regurgitating the team's publicist's company line. Like what Hamilton does when he knows the media is watching.

It was Alonso was was critical of the McLaren situation and was the one dispatched away.
I've agreed that he acted poorly (i.e. like a prima donna) during this time. And did you really think that Ron Dennis was going to fire his bitch? No way, FA was always the odd man out.

It was Alonso who was critical of Renault when he went back and again said they didn't do enough to get the car up the grid.
Again there's a difference between saying the team isn't pushing hard enough and being a prima dona. Again he was just saying the truth.

For you to say that he is a team guy is a complete joke.
It's not a joke. He is and has been since joining the Scuderia.

I see the same words coming out of Alonso's mouth that are coming out of Hamilton's mouth if the roles were reversed and it were Alonso's wheel nut that wasn't place right or his brakes there were being used prematurely half way through the race.
Funny you should say that because it did happen to him whilst at Renault in Hungary; no complaints from him.

Besides, it's not like Ferrari hasn't had engine problems this year and yet no complaint. As a matter of fact technical director, Stefano Domenical was more critical and showed more concern than Alonso did, who btw just said that he was "100% confident in the team's ability to resolve the issue."

I'm not a big fan of Jensen Button's driving ability, but you have to give him credit for not blowing up (see Barrechello throwing the steering wheel outside the cockpit in frustration) after a really inexcusable mistake by McLaren.
Your giving one guy credit and criticizing another and don't know **** about what's really happening. Rubens may have told the Williams team to fix something and was told not to worry about that everything would be fine. Obviously it wasn't. I don't know that as much as what you know. Oh yeah and one other thing, Rubens could've been killed, Jenson not so much.

I know you've driven at a high level, but have you ever been the one to turn the wrench? You do all you can to get a car right, analyse everything, double and triple check things, make adjustments and 99% of the time you do everything correctly. But that 1% of the time when something is not tightened down or something you forgot to do in haste comes back to bite your driver in a DNF, there is no one more self critical than yourself. No one needs the driver to come up and start to throw a fit about the mistake as well.... on worldwide television. I've never seen or known a mechanic to publically criticise a driver when they StrekStrekStrekStreked up a corner and crashed a car out. Never.
When was the last time a mechanic risked his life out on the track and/or relied/put his life in someone else's hands? If the mechanic ***** up, the driver gets hurt and/or can die. If the driver ***** up, the driver gets hurt and/or can die. Notice that in either scenario nothing happens to the mechanic. So if I die or get hurt because I fcuked up, that's one thing but if the guys I trust with my life and rely on their work to keep me safe, **** up, yes **** yes I'd be pissed!! Their (mechanics') mistake can cost me my life. Besides if demand perfection of myself (and all drivers at that level do), then I expect the same of everyone else around me.

Pete if people don't like Alonso, that's one thing but they should be equal opportunity critics as well as give credit to someone who makes changes for self improvement purposes.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
NEWEY
+1

Since his days in IndyCar ('80's) 'till now, his designs and vision are truly the bees' knees!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to thank my mechanics , the wheels are still intact .....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmdz
Of course WE Just for the record I'm not Alonso's Fan, I even hated him in the beginning precisely because of his arrogance but today I enjoy watching him racing, being aggressive behind the wheel and going for it, that's all.

What do I know...

Regards
Essentially for a track that should really be superceded due to speed, I also enjoyed watching Alonso carve through the tail of the field through the kink at the end of the tunnel.
It's really a bit of a silly race but glad to see Webber prevail. Now we hear Ferrari is sniffing around him so perhaps his stocks are rising and he'll get some credit finally....
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmdz
It's specifically spelled on the regulations what happens if the race is under SC during the last lap, section 40.13, so the pass is illegal. Now I don't know if there was a mistake from the marshals in changing it to green flag/light after the SC pitted. In any case MS should be able to argue he was misled by those green flags and then the penalty could be removed but in my opinion he should go back to 7th spot...
You really think Alonso was racing at that point a got passed by the great Michael...?
Post-race, MS has been given a drive-through penalty. Since it's after the race, the penalty has been converted into a 20 second penalty. MS goes from 6th to 12th.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10799.html
Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM
rickmdz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Post-race, MS has been given a drive-through penalty. Since it's after the race, the penalty has been converted into a 20 second penalty. MS goes from 6th to 12th.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10799.html
I know. What I'm saying is if MS overtook FA misled by the green flags maybe they can make him give up that position and finish in the 7th spot as opposed to being penalized for knowingly doing something against regulations.

Also +1 for Newey. Even the five times Champion JM Fangio said: "It's car racing, not men racing"
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Under rule 40.13, which states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking," Schumacher has been given a penalty.

The race was already hooooveeer .. hence the penalty ......
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Anyone catch the LH whine back to his team about telling him to go easy on the front brakes? LH is really turning out to be very critical of the very entity that nurtured him into F1.

Its well known LH winds in a ton of front brake bias -- meaning he struggles with controlling his car with much rear bias -- wimp
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You must be joking Fred ! You make it sound like only Alonso benefited from the safety car moments...,

Alonso was without a doubt the drive of the day , now if only he would stop making stupid mistakes that cost him track position so he can start controlling the top podium .

No question about it, Alonso drove fantastically. But no one benefited as much as he did from the first SC. I think Weber was the drive of the day. That guy is on fire - what's up with that?

On the MS topic, I think Rosberg will have to get used to seeing the back of Schumi's car. Barring the call at the end of the race, it seems to me that the old man is getting back to being the top performer he once was. That's fun to watch and that is good for F1.

Lastly, I must say that I take great pleasure in seeing LH struggle. Serious attitude problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just try and think about this dispassionately.

Alonso saves 22 seconds by the dispatch of the safety car, passes 6 of the slowest cars, secures 12 positions through pit stops, and then benefits from another safety car to close up the gaps. Excellent drive, but eliminate the SC, deduct those 22 seconds and where would he have been?

Webber never puts a wheel wrong, drives away from everyone including his teammate and wins handily. Eliminate the SC and Webber would have won by 30 some seconds. At least an equal drive in my mind.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Larry,

I disagree. Webber's was THE "drive of the day", in that he didn't make any mistakes and had the whole field covered as far as speed.

Alonso's drive was awesome from a strategic point of view, much like many of Schumi's old drives from the past, where he (Alonso, like Schumi before him) did what they had to do to make the strategy work. Alonso and Ferrari didn't know when nor how many SC periods there would be, but when they did come, they took full advantage of them. They deserve some credit for that. Start 24th anywhere and finish 6th is no easy task at all, but to that at Monaco, well that's just in a different league all together. Yesterday's race proved to me that Alonso & la Scuderia are working real well together. That's no good news for the rest of the grid. Sooner or later they will stop having this many issues and then look out. Even with all the things that have gone wrong for FA this season, he's only 3 points behind in Championship.

Oh and you should know better than to what if anything in motor racing. What if he doesn't screw up and crash on Saturday and can actually qualify, where would he had qualified and ultimately finished? It works both ways. You can't what if Motorsports.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The SC had a very big impact on the race. Had it come out again before the first round of pit stops, then Alonso would have leapfrogged even further up.
More importantly, each time it came out it compressed the field, giving Weber a clear track instead of having to deal with backmarkers. A big risk at Monaco was averted. Even though he was clearly the fastest, he had it all going his way.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yes and name one back marker that moved over ?
:
kovalainen nearly put his car in the water coming out of the tunnel he moved over so fast
Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lastly, giving Schu a 20 sec penalty when everyone is queued behind the SC is as good as disqualifying him. Not that he didn't deserve it. Can you imagine if he'd have taken Alonso out?

Quick Reply: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix