Sponsored by:

My bad experience renting a track car at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob996
Lots of **** and vinegar in this tread, very entertaining "he said / she said", reminds me of divorce court with a international twist...

After reading the article in Excellence magazine about the New Yorker who took European delivery of a new GT3, and drove a number of great tracks including the famous ones discussed here. I loved the article and afterwards added doing the same to my bucketlist. A lot faster than renting a crappy Clio, "sewing machine" without proper safety gear as roll cage and harness.

Yes, its not the same price.. but not the same expereince either.....

As i get older i have less and less patience for this kind of bullsh*t, although a good debate i would rather read on-line than expereince in real life... In running any kind of reatil business, One bad reference is more damaging than 1000 great ones, especially when it turns ugly like this tread has.
Actually both the RSR and Rentracecar.de cars all have proper safety gear installed to the best of my knowledge, they also typically have track rubber
and race pads depending on the car in question. Both companies take safety and proper preparation seriously.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

my opinion is - all that BS is much more about local pecking order than about 'real life actual experience'.
kinda entertaining but mostly pointless stuff.
That's why it is important to read it and or post, you might just read a negative post without realizing there are several real life positive ones, like Larry above.
I can only speak for rentracecar.de but my experience with them was exactly as advertised. Seemed like a safe and well prepared car. I was well warned and prepared without being babied.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That's why it is important to read it, you might just read a negative post witout realizing there are several real life positive ones. I can only speak for rentracecar.de but my experience with them was exactly as advertised.
DITTO ... I have rented from them several times, TOTALLY satisfied.

Also Am-Tiergarten (Sabine's family hotel) are partnering with RSR to offer all-inclusive pkgs...

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/media/am...tenklause1.pdf
Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Damn, that's a deal.

I'm getting hungry and thirsty looking at the pictures.
My German wife knows there are no more trips to Europe, let alone Germany that don't include at least a few laps at the Ring....

I hope to make it back there to join them for a track day in my own car next summer.

Larry, let's put 2 cars in a container!
Have 2 bedroom 2 car garage, must go..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Damn, that's a deal.

I'm getting hungry and thirsty looking at the pictures.
My German wife knows there are no more trips to Europe, let alone Germany that don't include at least a few laps at the Ring....

I hope to make it back there to join them for a track day in my own car next summer.

Larry, let's put 2 cars in a container!
Have 2 bedroom 2 car garage, must go..
If I wasnt still paying for my car, I would be ALL OVER this idea for next year, but you cant (temporarily) export without clear title ... I hate it when reality messes up my fun! ...

donations greatfully received!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I keep thinking about moving my 996 GT3 to the continent--someplace between Spa and the Nürburgring....

On topic, nothing but good experiences with RSRNürburg--more than a half dozen of them!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If I wasnt still paying for my car, I would be ALL OVER this idea for next year, but you cant (temporarily) export without clear title ... I hate it when reality messes up my fun! ...

donations greatfully received!
Damn!
Can't believe I had not thought of that!! I guess I have to pay it off or go annoy the guys on the West Coast next summer...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I keep thinking about moving my 996 GT3 to the continent--someplace between Spa and the Nürburgring....

On topic, nothing but good experiences with RSRNürburg--more than a half dozen of them!
plenty of places around the ring to do this, and Spa is not that far away from there that you could not drive to/from ... lucky bleeder!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Larry, how about some suggestions? Should I register the car in the name of a friend who resides in Germany?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, how about some suggestions? Should I register the car in the name of a friend who resides in Germany?
You can temporarily import your car into the EU for up to six months (and I extended it to a year in the UK) and avoid import duty and GST/VAT under the
following circumstances (this is based on my experience doing this with my '04 back in '05 from the US to the UK):

- you must have permanently resided outside the EU for more than 2 years
- you must have owned the car for at least 6 months
- the car must be legally registered in its home country for the duration of the
importation
- you must hold clear title to the vehicle (US customs wont let you export otherwise)
- you may not sell the car in the EU for at least a year
- if you wish to permanently import the car, you will have to obtain individual state compliance, this usually means checking headlights, fog lamps (rear) etc and registering the car permanently in a particular EU state.

I am not sure what the EU residency requirements are for you to be able to import it into the EU, I dont recall there being any but there might be

This would allow you to operate the car in the EU.

Getting insurance can be difficult with the car not being registered in an EU state, I would advise you to contact GEICO who apparently offer auto insurance overseas.

I personally shipped my car over in a 40' container with my belongings which is expensive.

I have met some people from the East Coast at the Ring who transported their cars via RoRo which is significantly cheaper.

As to potential storage locations, I would recommend you contact Manthey as they offer a variety of levels of storage/maintainence with prices to match, but there are others in the locality also.

Hope this helps!

Larry
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Very great help, Larry. I've thought about bringing the car to London, but I don't really want to do track days here all that much. Maybe I should store the car near FRA or CGN and just fly there an pick it up.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

If I just take my car to Europe, do I need the title?
How is that different than driving it into South America or Canada?

I don't want to export it, just want to drive it on Florida plates as the only driver (US citizen) in Europe for less then 6 months and ship it back..
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Very great help, Larry. I've thought about bringing the car to London, but I don't really want to do track days here all that much. Maybe I should store the car near FRA or CGN and just fly there an pick it up.
shame as there are some stonking tracks in the UK ...

You could I think import the car temporarily into the UK and use/store it in Germany ... only reason I suggest doing that is that all the rules and officials implementing them are in English ...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

If I just take my car to Europe, do I need the title?
How is that different than driving it into South America or Canada?

I don't want to export it, just want to drive it on Florida plates as the only driver (US citizen) in Europe for less then 6 months and ship it back..
Ok I am not an expert on this, just basing this on my experience, but the rules with regard to the nature of the borders between US, CA, and Mexico differ from those between other sovereign nations.

From the perspective of U.S customs, taking a car out of the US "overseas" is export/import, so you have to document as such with them, and they will not let a vehicle be 'exported' without the lienholders agreement, hence either you hold the title or your financer is very understanding...

From the perspective of the EU, the car is being imported, either temporarily or permanently, so they have their owns rules to follow...

A couple of guys from Texas took thier GT-Rs to the ring school in Aug I will check with them to see if they have any further info ... watch this space!

Larry
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Makes sense. Thanks!

Quick Reply: My bad experience renting a track car at Nurburgring