Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First weekend driving (HPDE3) with a head/neck restraint.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First weekend driving (HPDE3) with a head/neck restraint.

I drove with the R3 and found it to be very easy to use and not too much of an adjustment. I could probably take another 1/2" or 3/4" out of the attachment straps to restrict forward motion; but for a first time out, I decided to keep them slightly looser. No doubt the restriction of left-to-right head motions was a problem in the paddock. I learned to unlatch on the cool down lap, and back into my paddock spot so I could drive out latched. I need to learn how to connect the latches blind.

One thing did occur to me (hypothetically). If you have an off, and you're at 90 degrees to the track, you really cannot look out your passenger or driver's window in order to find the right time to re-enter. You can see forward and whereever your mirrors go, but you can't see left or right. So do people just unlatch their systems to get sufficient vision, and then finish out the race? Just curious. I've never heard or read about this situation.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R3's now have the ability to have a sliding tether installed which certainly helped me. I ran this weekend with the sliding tether for the first time and I gained more side vision than I had before.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryW
R3's now have the ability to have a sliding tether installed which certainly helped me. I ran this weekend with the sliding tether for the first time and I gained more side vision than I had before.
I was wondering about that. I need to find out if that is an aftermarket item I can add to mine.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Greg:
You can retrofit your device with the sliding tethers.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Greg:
You can retrofit your device with the sliding tethers.
Mark:

Thanks. I sent just that inquiry to your store email "info@ogracing".

Sliders would be awesome.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
If you have an off, and you're at 90 degrees to the track, you really cannot look out your passenger or driver's window in order to find the right time to re-enter. You can see forward and whereever your mirrors go, but you can't see left or right. So do people just unlatch their systems to get sufficient vision, and then finish out the race? Just curious. I've never heard or read about this situation.
No, you just look to the flaggers - pull back onto the track - pray - hit someone - then get a 13/13... at least that's how it worked for me before I got the sliding tethers. They really make a world of difference.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sliding tethers is a must. Pushing your head back against the seat helps too. Some folks try and lean their head forward while trying to look sideways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First weekend driving (HPDE3) with a head/neck restraint.