Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monticello - Anyone have written analysis of course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Monticello - Anyone have written analysis of course?

I'm going to Monticello for the first time.

I've been studying the full course map and watching various videos. I also like to look at written analyses of tracks and then compare them to videos.

Does anyone have one of these turn by turn descriptions discussing the line etc etc?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

If the full track, see here for one: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Monti...mile_course.29
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Funny thing is I looked at the Trackpedia page but didn't notice that link.
THANKS!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.42:
(My car's a 944S2 with upgraded suspension running on r-compound tires)
I only have two days on this track, but here's what I have found works for me. Of course, YMMV:

Turn 1: Can be taken either double apex or a single late apex. I have found the corner to be too tight for a double apex turn. Note that after the late apex, the track will fall away from you towards the track out.

Turn 2: Stay really tight to track left approaching this corner. There is a patch of different colored asphalt that starts about 1/8th of the way into the turn. Place the driver's side tires on it and follow it into the apex.

Turn 3: A very late apex leading onto a significant straight. The start of the service road on the right is a good track out point.

Turn 4 & 5: (My least favorite turn) -- diving turn. Some folks will ride over a section on the left side of the track that has a drainage grate. IMHO - it is too bumpy and can upset the car quite a bit. I haven't figured out a smooth way through there. I take the first half of this section in 3rd, and shift to 2nd just before turn 5. But I know I am taking it too slow. Can't really give you much on this section.

Turn 6 - start track left in this kink and transition over to track right -- from there, cross the track diagonally to the braking zone of Turn 7.

Turn 7 - another late apex and it is a throwaway corner. (Think the left hander at Lime Rock). Late apex and STAY right for turn 8.

Between Turn 8 & 9 - approach the left hander between 8 & 9 late. This will setup this section best -- otherwise the section up to the start of 10 will be a lot of work.

Turn 10 - "Never-ending lefty" - start out wide right - but not too far wide. 'Bout 3 feet right of the center of the track. Be patient with this turn. It is an extremely late, late LATE apex! After the apex, stay track left -- cross the track diagonally for the 11-12 double apex section. (Note: some folks take 11-12 as a single apex turn - I have found that diving into Turn 11 to be a faster way around here.)

Turn 11-12 - double apex - after diagonally coming into T11 from the exit of T10, apex tight on T11, and come out about 1/2 way before coming into T12.

Turn 13 is a typical 90-degree turn. Apex can be a little after the geometric apex. This is start of the longest straight of the track.

Turn 14 "The Kink." Start track left, stay on it, and ease you way to track right at the kink.

Turn 15: This is an uphill turn followed by an awkward zig-zag series. Stay on the right side of the track as late as possible to get through the zig-zag better.

Turns 16-17 - Really a hard turn to find a nice flow. Riding over the low curbing here is the best way to get through this. If the car feels smooth through here, you are going too slow.

Turn 18 - this is really more of a kink - start track right and track out left to setup for T19.

Turn 19 - Stay track right over the plateau. Stay on steady throttle -- do not lift or brake at the crest of the hill or after. (Note the tire wall on the left side of the track, and the skid marks going that way). On the other side of the turn, cross the track diagonally into Turn 20.

Turn 20 - stay on the throttle as you cross the track diagonally and into the braking zone for T21.

Turn 21 - 2nd gear up-hill turn - late apex for best speed for the pit straight.

Hope this helps,
-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 04-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timely info! Thanks for sharing CJ and Z!

I am heading there in May with CVR and in October with NNJR. Will anybody else from here be there?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Timely info! Thanks for sharing CJ and Z!

I am heading there in May with CVR and in October with NNJR. Will anybody else from here be there?
++1

THANKS.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Quick note: the notes in the Trackpedia have different turn names. In their notes, Turn 1 = Turn 4 in my notes. Hopefully, this won't confuse you...
-Z
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I posted a video of about a lap and a half and gave some comments in the write up. Nuances like how I approached T11. Try a search on my name and monticello and you should find it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

After Saturday, I'm going to emphasize Z-man's comment about turn 20, stay on the throttle, and do not lift until the car has completely settled. Not doing this has potentially bad consequences. Flat spotted tires were the extent of it for me. ;-)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
After Saturday, I'm going to emphasize Z-man's comment about turn 20, stay on the throttle, and do not lift until the car has completely settled. Not doing this has potentially bad consequences. Flat spotted tires were the extent of it for me. ;-)
Jon - you were very, very lucky to get away with just flat spots...

Here's a shot of Turn 20 from later in the day. Not too hard to deduct where those skid marks lead to...

Note: I will not discuss details of that little off, since that's not appropriate. (And I don't know much of what happened). Suffice it to say, it is very easy to bend some sheet metal if you do T20 wrong.

-Z-man.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Z-man,
Were you there, Saturday? I think I mistook your car for a Turbo.

And those skid marks through your center mirror look a little too familiar.

Edit: Just noted the date on your video. Thanks for the memento. If you have anything in higher res, I'd appreciate a copy. It will serve as a reminder to continue getting the insurance, to invest in better safety gear, and to not lift in those situations.

-Jon

Last edited by Jon Moeller; 04-27-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Last year I posted a video of about a lap and a half and gave some comments in the write up. Nuances like how I approached T11. Try a search on my name and monticello and you should find it.
Just checked it out....thanks! It's in my video list on YT for Monticello now.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

CVR will be there on May 20 and 21, and I will conduct a track walk at 5:00 PM on the 19th.

Nice turn by turn analysis of the track by Z-man.

Re: T19

Looking up from T18, you will see two very high cones on track right at the plateau of T19, and you will also see the top of the big white tent. I instruct to tap the brakes before turn in for T20 to settle the car. Tony, former chief instructor from MMC, refers to T20 as "challenging" so be careful.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
CVR will be there on May 20 and 21, and I will conduct a track walk at 5:00 PM on the 19th.
Fantastic idea to conduct a track walk!!! I cannot wait! I am guessing that we will have somewhat early access to get in the paddock that day, Wednesday the 19th?

Will the track walk be done with cars loaded up with passengers driving from turn to turn, or a true track walk completely on foot? I would imagine with cars.

Anybody know if the parking situation is the same as last year or is there more parking for trailers? If I remember from last year it was pretty tight and crazy with everybody tring to park somewhere.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Anybody know if the parking situation is the same as last year or is there more parking for trailers? If I remember from last year it was pretty tight and crazy with everybody tring to park somewhere.
For trailers, the 'upper lot' (area near T1 in the map above) is the only place to park. No change from last year, except the main building/tent is now just a single story tent, and they started construction on the members' car storage building down by T5.

Side note: I spoke with one of the workers at Monticello last week, and he said the issue with big rigs isn't really parking space -- it is the fact that anything bigger than a 40-foot trailer are not allow to drive on Cantrell Road. You may want to check with the Monticello authorities before hiking up there. (TDM - you should be ok -- it is the stackers that may have a problem)

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Monticello - Anyone have written analysis of course?