Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Camera Setup Toast?

Guys,

My camera setup is toast...I think.

I currently have an Aiptek HD1080 with the Frankenstein charger and all was working great. I was doing some rewiring and wanted to get rid of the cigarette lighter adapter, so planned to directly wire the frankenstein charger into the switched power and ground. It worked a few times and now nothing. The camera won't charge from the Frankenstin charger (directly wired in or via the cigarette charger adaptor). I've played with the wires and the standard Aiptek car charger works fine to charge it, but as we all know you cannot operate the camera when it is charging.

Now to the questions:
1. Any thoughts on how to get my camera charging again or has an internal electronic component been fried?
2. Has anyone done a direct wire of the charger to a switched power without the cigarette lighter part of the charger? Is this where I fried the camera?
3. Should I pick up another Aiptek or is there a better option out there now?
4. I have a lipstick camera and external mic that I plug into the camera, so it is basically just a recorder

Thanks Rennlisters!

-Skip
Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All,

I did some more research and learned that if you power it directly to a 12V switched power it will affect the camera, so to answer my own question - I fried my camera. Time to look for a new one.

I hope others will learn from my mistake.

-Skip
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It's probably fried, but before you toss it out, bring it inside, and charge it with a USB wall charger. Several times I've had my camera fail to power up with the frankencharger, but after I've left it plugged in overnight to a wall charger it's been ok. Probably won't work in your case, but worth a try.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I believe the Cig lighter adapter puts out 5V and you hooked it directly to 12V, if I was to guess I would say that caused the issue. I would say its fried. Since I assume you have all the other components (remote, frankencharger, etc.) I would thing another Aiptek would be the best way to go. They make a converter to go from 12V to 5V, try Radio Shack...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camera Setup Toast?