Sponsored by:

Monaco GP, Anyone ever been?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I think you're on the same cruise we were on last year! Royal Caribbean's Navigator out of Barcelona? If so, you can PROBABLY do it. I wasn't brave enough, so we went into Nice and heard the start on the radio (via a Frenchwoman's translation for me from her knickknack shop), then the last 1/4 from Villefranche on TV at a bar where the dozen or so people were more interested in stepping outside for a smoke..........

Back to the logistics. If you ignore (or bully) your way off the ship onto the tender early, you can catch any number of trains toward Monte Carlo and get there well before the race starts. Some of our dinner table mates did just that, and they had no intention of going anywhere near the race. HOWEVER, they kind of mis-timed the return and they got the absolute last tender back to the ship. Not from crowds, if I recall, as they left well before the race ended.

If you want more tips/experiences of the itinerary, provided that's the ship, let me know.
Great advise. Yes we're cruising with RC but I believe the ship is Adventure (same class).

I think I have to at least give it a go to see some of the action. I don't expect I'll get to really see much of the F1 race, but if I get to see some supporting action and maybe the start of the race I'll be completely happy.

All, lots of great tips here. I really appreciate all of the input.

Andy
Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

Lunch (with Patron handover ceremony) tomorrow?
What are you doing , headers and new exhaust ? ...........
Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
What are you doing , headers and new exhaust ? ...........
That's all old stuff you see there (headers, race cats & rest of "plumbing" fabricated by Monaco track sweeper).
I'm making some holes on my rear bumper cover (& bumper) so took the them off. Also changing new rebuilt calibers in and some billet valve covers & new lifters so it's easier to work around without the bumper cover.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Great advise. Yes we're cruising with RC but I believe the ship is Adventure (same class).

I think I have to at least give it a go to see some of the action. I don't expect I'll get to really see much of the F1 race, but if I get to see some supporting action and maybe the start of the race I'll be completely happy.

All, lots of great tips here. I really appreciate all of the input.

Andy
Definitely go. Even if you don't see the race, there's plenty of stuff to see & hear, a little bit of this and that for everyone...
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not taken the train during the GP, but I have taken it from the main station in Nice to the station in Monaco, and it was very convenient, only a 15 -20 minute ride. The main train station, however, is a bit of a hike from the port. As I recall there was a train stop closer to the port. How is your wife doing by the way?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabische Auto
I have not taken the train during the GP, but I have taken it from the main station in Nice to the station in Monaco, and it was very convenient, only a 15 -20 minute ride. The main train station, however, is a bit of a hike from the port. As I recall there was a train stop closer to the port. How is your wife doing by the way?
But (again) there is a station not more than a couple minutes walk from the Villefranche-sur-mer dock where the tender drops you off. RCL and the other big ships don't dock in Nice.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabische Auto
How is your wife doing by the way?
She's doing very well, thanks for asking. Had both 3 month and 6 month blood work post-chemo both come back with great blood counts. Keeping our fingers crossed for continued good news.

We're enjoying life more than ever lately. The whole cancer experience has shown us you're never too young to get suprises like this and we needed to relax the work and business activities a bit to enjoy ourselves. I miss my old 996 Aero car though

Andy
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
She's doing very well, thanks for asking. Had both 3 month and 6 month blood work post-chemo both come back with great blood counts. Keeping our fingers crossed for continued good news.

We're enjoying life more than ever lately. The whole cancer experience has shown us you're never too young to get suprises like this and we needed to relax the work and business activities a bit to enjoy ourselves. I miss my old 996 Aero car though

Andy
That's great to hear, I hope you enjoy your trip too. If you don't make it to the GP, Nice is a really great place, too. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Andy!

Glad to hear that your wife is doing well. This sounds like a wonderful trip and an excellent opportunity to spend time together. Enjoy! and we want to see some pictures.

-Paul
Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Monaco for the Gran Prix in 1971. Jackie Stewart won if my memory is still intact. Got in for free. Just took a seat on little knoll at the keyhole. Ate cheese and a baguette, worked on a bottle of chianti. The sites. The crowds. The sounds of sports cars roaring down the streets. The glamour. It was a wonderful weekend. Much more than a race.

Quick Reply: Monaco GP, Anyone ever been?