Sponsored by:

Interesting Alternative to Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interesting Alternative to Mirrors

A buddy of mine is building a 944SuperCup. Trust me; it will be magnificent. We are putting a system in that will replace rear and side view mirrors. It will be a wide angle parking camera on the back with an LCD screen on the console. I think it's brilliant. What do you guys think? Will it pass tech? Why has no one thought of this before?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

What if there is a problem with the electronics and it shuts down in the middle of a race?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
What if there is a problem with the electronics and it shuts down in the middle of a race?
What if your rear-view mirror falls off? Stuff happens. Seems like a cool idea to me.

Marc
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that'll be pretty cool. The ALMS GT2 Corvette uses a system like this, as does the older Panoz GT2 car, and I believe also some of the newer prototypes.

Keep us posted on how this goes; it'll be interesting to find out if off-the-shelf electronics are sufficient for something like this, or if the noise/heat/vibration/etc of the racecar environment doesn't require some more hardened components (especially for the display.)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Some rule books call for mirrors...
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Some rule books call for mirrors...
True but there is lots of evidence to suggest that actually looking in the mirrors is not required.

I think the video system is a very intersting idea. I've thought about it myself. I'll be interested in hearing how it works.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need very good camera's that can handle a wide dynamic contrast range. you know alot of common track videos on a bright sunny day will show either blue sky and dark track, or show blinding white sky with visible track.

you'll also need high contrast ratio and high output LCD's placed so that sunlight glare and just general brightness of the day doesn't flood it.

also if you run any dusk or evening endurance races, you'll have to account for car's behind you having headlights on.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by gums
A buddy of mine is building a 944SuperCup. Trust me; it will be magnificent. We are putting a system in that will replace rear and side view mirrors. It will be a wide angle parking camera on the back with an LCD screen on the console. I think it's brilliant. What do you guys think? Will it pass tech? Why has no one thought of this before?
Makes sense for cars that have trouble seeing out of the back...not so much for a 944. I'd much rather have a mechanical system than an electrical system for something like a mirror if I had the choice. Glare and all sorts of other issues will come into play.

And yes, this has been done in numerous race cars that have limited rearward visibility out of the rear window.

944 SuperCup runs with NASA, right? I'd check the rules before going through the expense.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote Yes for side view mirrors (drag reduction), No for rear view mirror (what's the benefit outside of Cool Factor?).
Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
I vote Yes for side view mirrors (drag reduction), No for rear view mirror (what's the benefit outside of Cool Factor?).
I think that would be prudent, and I'd go along with that as well. However, we are also considering petitioning PCA that certain drivers install this system for FRONT view!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, bad idea.

Consider the "human factors" issues ("human factors" are those psycho-visio-physical input>reaction things that are really important to jet fighter cockpit designers, etc. etc.). Yes, the scan can be reversed, so that "right = left", but can your brain interpolate the inputs as fast as with mirrors that obviously correlate (mentally, at least) to "left / right" ?

It's also important to remember that, even with mirrors, you DO get stereo optical vision, where with a camera/monitor system, you are truly two-dimensional. Depth perception goes away. Is depth perception important to you as a driver ? It should be.

Technology can do wonderous things. Some of those wonderous things aren't appropriate in ALL situations.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Daytona prototypes and open wheel (F1) racers have no rear view mirrors.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Daytona prototypes and open wheel (F1) racers have no rear view mirrors.
Most single seaters (any prototype, sports racer, open wheel car, etc) have no rear view, but they do have side views. The OP mentions getting rid of all mirrors.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Adding unnecessary complexity etc.

I had great aero on the 924 by removing the exterior side mirrors and running a full-width wink panel mirror.

KISS.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
...It's also important to remember that, even with mirrors, you DO get stereo optical vision, where with a camera/monitor system, you are truly two-dimensional. Depth perception goes away. Is depth perception important to you as a driver ? It should be.
So how have we been doing laparoscopic ("key hole") surgery for years? Depth perception is needed for that and, while it takes a little practice, the ability to discern distances from a camera/monitor system is acquired by most surgeons.

Marc

Quick Reply: Interesting Alternative to Mirrors