Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a monetary investment.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

You could buy a ready to race Spec Boxster for almost exactly what your Cayman is worth...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for 60k or a reasonable offer you could purchase the first race prepped CaymanS ,9k miles on it, only driven on weekends, by middle aged guy. Garaged most of time, speed yellow, 5 sets of wheels.lots of stuff done to it. email me.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Are you talking about manthis. Weren't you guys suppose to shove a 3.8 in it??
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Seems like an interesting platform to race. There is no way I wouldn't be asking myself that question if I stared at my caymean s everyday in the garage... But since I don't have one, I am not too tempted.

Honestly you should ask joel furey about the build costs and cgomez about the running costs. You will get some pretty good data points I am sure.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Ernie J
Pro

MANTIS , No ,we never shoved a 3.8 engine in. 3.4L all the way.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We are currently completing the build of the first CaymanSpec race car, so I can answer your question. It depends.

How much labor, if any, do you plan to do yourself? Do you plan to blueprint the engine? Do you want to do all of the necessary reliability modifications up front or as the systems fail?

I am happy to chat with you about this, but really do not want to just post a number so send me a PM. Joel and Carlos are also good resources.

For a view of some build and early test photos you can join the CaymanSpec group on Facebook or visit the build thread in the CaymanSpec forum at www.caymanspec.com where you can also read the rules discussion and download the current rule set.

We raced the car as a POC Improved Class (slightly modified street car) last year and made the conversion to CaymanSpec over the winter.

Here are a couple of shots from the first race weekend:

Photo: Virtual Access

I will start a new thread on the launch of CaymanSpec.

Cheers,
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hahahaha
Blueprint the engine?
Man THAT'S a good one.
Don't waste your time--- chances are you will be replacing it soon.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Hahahaha
Blueprint the engine?
Man THAT'S a good one.
Grin
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
Hahahaha
Blueprint the engine?
Man THAT'S a good one.
Excuse me?

We were ask a question and are attempting to give an answer. Please take your flipant responses elsewhere.

We blueprinted my M97.21 over a year ago. The car has now run 18 sprint races and 20+ practice days without issue. It is making significantly more horsepower and runs like a top. Will this be short lived? Maybe.

There are modifictions that need to made to the crank and rods, in additon to the standard blueprint, the work to make this a reliable engine. Is it the GT1 block that you are all so wedded to, well of course not, but if someone wants to convert a car that was built after their kids were born this is what we have to deal with.

Cheers,
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys....... much appreciated.....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Excuse me?

We were ask a question and are attempting to give an answer. Please take your flipant responses elsewhere.

We blueprinted my M97.21 over a year ago. The car has now run 18 sprint races and 20+ practice days without issue. It is making significantly more horsepower and runs like a top. Will this be short lived? Maybe.

There are modifictions that need to made to the crank and rods, in additon to the standard blueprint, the work to make this a reliable engine. Is it the GT1 block that you are all so wedded to, well of course not, but if someone wants to convert a car that was built after their kids were born this is what we have to deal with.

Cheers,
Do you do the IMS bearing mod that LN Engineering promotes? Don't mind Doug, he's still upset about the TDI race..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't bother blue printing. The OEM engine is good and strong enough and the weak link is not the engine but the gearbox (so get a spare box from the get go).
In current market conditions in definitively NOT pays off to build your own Cayman. Get someone else's racecar or if you have the $ go for a Cup Car (6 or 7 if you stretch the budget).

The Napleton's cars just reflect the cost of the parts bolted on the car, but then you have to dial it in, setup, and sort the nuissances and takes time and $.

Running costs should be the same as running a 996 or 997 but budget for a gearbox per season if you run it hard.

I'm not selling mine, even if I get another racecar (too good of a racecar to let go), but I know of one (exactly like mine and better) that's being sold if interested; or if you feel so inclined to go through the "child-birth" like process of building your own racecar contact Spencer *** at SpeedSport and he will clone you my car... there's no secrets...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Do you do the IMS bearing mod that LN Engineering promotes? Don't mind Doug, he's still upset about the TDI race..
No. The IMS bearing fix that LN promotes is for the M96 engine. The design was changed for the M97 (at least by mid 06?) and is apparently no longer a problem.

Of the 7 or so M97 failures that I am aware of none was a result of the IMS failure and all appear to be a result of rod bearing failure. The theory on this is lack of oil (or too much air in the oil through poor dearation) at the #1 rod bearing. There are crank mods, etc that seem to address this.

OK, I will not mind Doug. I just never undersatnd the need to be a smart *** when someone is trying to get a serious answer.

Cheers,
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
Don't bother blue printing. The OEM engine is good and strong enough and the weak link is not the engine but the gearbox (so get a spare box from the get go).
In current market conditions in definitively NOT pays off to build your own Cayman. Get someone else's racecar or if you have the $ go for a Cup Car (6 or 7 if you stretch the budget).

The Napleton's cars just reflect the cost of the parts bolted on the car, but then you have to dial it in, setup, and sort the nuissances and takes time and $.

Running costs should be the same as running a 996 or 997 but budget for a gearbox per season if you run it hard.

I'm not selling mine, even if I get another racecar (too good of a racecar to let go), but I know of one (exactly like mine and better) that's being sold if interested; or if you feel so inclined to go through the "child-birth" like process of building your own racecar contact Spencer *** at SpeedSport and he will clone you my car... there's no secrets...
Interesting. I know of multiple engine failures (7+) and not one transmission failure here in SoCal. Tracks? Driving styles?

I agree that the stock engine is relatively strong and should deliver 100 or so track hours - mine had ~900 total hours and ~125 track hours when it failed last year (no different than a cup motor I guess). I am not sure it is reasonable to expect much more. That said, there are several things, including blueprinting, that should increase the longevity of the engine.

When we built the new engine we modified the crank (grooved the main journals, hardended, polished, balanced, drilled) to improve oiling. We also installed Carrillo rods, changed the deareation swirl pots, and decked the heads. 75+ track hours on this engine so far.

~200 track/race hours on the transmission and about 45,000 street miles before the conversion. Knock wood.

I also agree that you are better off buying a car than building, but only if you are confident in the reliability and build quality.

Cheers,
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Excuse me?

Cheers,
Dude, did you just call me a Filipino???

Last edited by flatsics; 03-05-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Quick Reply: How much of a monetary investment.......