Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deal http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...ht_1367wt_1166
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

i want it bad
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jakermc,
I just realized I didn't answer your initial questions.
The turning radius of the truck is large because of the long wheelbase. You also have to watch out for the swingout from the rear. I haven't had any problems in any paddock.

This is a very large vehicle and you have to drive with attention and forethought.

I believe in the US, you don't require any special license to drive this vehicle. In Ontario, I had to get an air brake certification, because the truck has air brakes. I ended up going to the local community college and getting my 'D' grade license and air brake certification. The 'D' license allows me to drive vehicles that weigh more than 24,000 lbs. It allows me to drive most trucks but not a semi trailer.
I would recommend that if you buy a truck like this, than take a course.

Even though I am not a commercial driver, the safety checks and the routines that are followed are invaluable. As teamdrugmoney, mentioned it is one more thing to take care of.

The Renegade drives very easily and the mercedes engine is very powerful.

I also have a GMC Sierra 2500HD and a trailex enclosed trailer, that I use for local events. Backing up the Renegade with the trailex attached is no different than having it attached to the pickup truck.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Snow Lion... I love the massive awning. That would be a perfect addition to my set-up. Sadly it is probalbly out of my price range.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by tasracer
I saw a unit like this at a kart race on Sunday and it is pretty tight fit (no slide outs of course), but for 1 person and the great gas mileage you get even with a trailer is a plus.

Regarding special license, a buddy of mine that has a 40' said that (at least in CA) the requirement for an additional license is waived for RVs eventhough there are air brakes and a massive amount of weight behind you.

Finally, what TeamDrugMoney said about "another thing to take care of" has been ringing through my head. I don't know if I want to do that. My buddy with the 40' A class diesel pusher also said that the maintanence is like taking care of a home and a vehicle at the same time.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I amazed how low HP and TQ it is (154 HP @ 3800 RPM, 243 FT./LB) compared to my Duramax (360HP / 650TQ), would think it would have a heck of a time pulling long grades with a 5000 LB enclosed trailer..
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
M758
Race Director

I don't think the spinter chassis is ideal at towing a car. I can carry a load, but given the weight of the RV fit out I would not expect it to tow very well even with a light open trailer.

An E350 van conversion with a V10 should be fine if you watch you weights. Sadly the 5.4 V8 from Ford is a little weak, but probably could be ok in level ground.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Hi Joe P,

I purchased my awning from local racing shop that stopped racing. It was in good condition and I took it to High Tech Awnings and they modified it to fit the RV. They were great to deal with. It wasn't that expensive, and they have an impressive facility and make outstanding race trailers.

I liked the awning so much that I bought another compete awning system that was used by Champion Racing. This awning was much bigger and had an extension for a hospitality tent at the back.
I was going to buy a stacker; bring a couple of cars, scooters, pit cart, etc. And realized that the more space you have, the more you fill it up!

I think it is better to travel lighter and simpler. relatively speaking...
"It is just one more thing to take care of" should be a MANTRA.

A friend who has been racing for years, told me that as you develop experience, you learn the 'tricks' to going racing. I told him that right now, it takes so much effort just to get prepared to go racing that the actual racing part is relaxation...

He held out his palm and said, 'Ahhh, try to ****** this pebble from my hand...'
Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 202 Posts

Snow Lion, thanks for your continued insight. Can you share more about the maintenance and prep required for a trip? Just how much extra work is there compared to pulling your enclosed trailer with the truck? I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger for a set-up like yours, not sure if your answer will talk me into it or out of it ....
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Yes it is fine balance between bring too much and not enough. One reason I got my enclosed trailer was to make it it easier to race by reducing set-up tear down. I have been tracking a trailered car for just about 10 years now and pack up is always a pain.

I like to take lots of spares "just incase" and have been reward with very few DNS for a race. I usally figure some way to take the start and be able to compete. Spare parts and tools are big factor in that.

On the other constant pack/unpacking is pain. Then enclosed trailer allows me to keep my parts and tools at easier reach and secured. I have well planned how to store all this gear so my pre and post even process is faster now than it was. Same for at the track set-up.

I went from this

To this.

It does not look that like it would be easier, but working out of the back of the pickup was hard as there was never enough space. So alot more packing/unpackin to get at stuff. The real gem in my set-up is the front of my trailer.

It is not fancy, but this area allows me to work on things and be able to lock up in seconds. Packing easy since other than the computer and helmet everything is mostly packed and I can do alot of packing/unpackin as needed at the event. When I get home I leave most stuff in the trailer including the car.

So I feel like I have a nice balance of being able to bring what a want to spares/tools along with paddock comfort stuff (like a full size bbq, space header for the trailer while also reducing the effort to pack for each event.

The next thing I am thinking about is large awning with less work on set-up /tear down as compared to my EZ ups. The problem is that I doubt I can get anything for under $400 and the tents work just fine.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think the Sprinter will tow more than 3500 pounds
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
realride
Rennlist Member

Default Rv

This is my set-up and will not do with out.
Towing is so easy (including 2 cars inside the stacker). Overall 65 ft no more !
Motorhome is 43ft.

benny
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Jakermc, the maintenance cost on the Renegade has not been high. I spent less than $800 on service last year from the Freightliner dealer. However, I spent $3000 repairing the 12.5K Onan generator and $2000 replacing one of the overhead A/C units. Both repairs were my fault. Live and learn.
I got lost using the GPS and it took me down some weird roads. I thought that I could pass under that bridge...
The insurance cost is also very reasonable for a RV.
There will be unexpected costs, since a RV is really like a house on wheels. There is the maintenance of a truck coupled with the maintenance of things like plumbing, electrical issues. Most problems are from infrequent use and the truck just sitting. My truck has 55,000 kms. The dealer says, these freightliner trucks are broken in at 300,000 km. I think he was exaggerating, but these trucks need to be driven, unfortunately I live in Canada. Where the toys hibernate for half the year.

The first time I went to Watkins Glen, I went by myself. I pushed the car out onto the lift gate, and lowered it on to the ground and voila. Pretty cool. All of the preparation was done at the shop, so all that I did was check tire pressure, fill the tank and go. I didn't have the big awning at the time, so just used the small roll out awning and parked near the RV. If it was going to rain heavily, I could simply put the car into the back of the RV and close the door. After the race, it took me 2 hours to pack everything up.

As Joe P, has stated, you develop a system. The cleaning stuff in this bin, the oil stuff in this bin. Pretty soon, you have it down to a science...

Me, I am just a grasshopper...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I just got my first coach, a 45 ft Silvercrown with a 26ft Stacker and it's been the best experience I have ever had at the track. I am using this setup for our ALMS GTC effort in conjunction with our other transporter we use for the WC series and there is nothing quite like staying at the track. The tow rating on this rig is 40K pounds and when you are towing across country, you can never have enough towing capacity or brakes.

I will try and post pics as well but here is a link to a similar unit: http://www.silvercrowncoach.com/s-series.php

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streak
I don't think the Sprinter will tow more than 3500 pounds

5000... so 1000 trailer and 3000 for car leaves a bit of extra

Quick Reply: Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...