Sponsored by:

PSS9 blue plastic cap and set screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS9 blue plastic cap and set screw

Does any else here have trouble removing the blue plastic cap intended to cover the adjustment dial on the underside of the shock? I had a heck of a time getting that b-stard off of there (adjusted them earlier today).

Also, on two of them, once I got the cap off, I noticed that the dial was in the cap (it had come off of the stem). As I look at the dial, there is only a small set screw in the side of the dial that holds the dial on the stem!

I thought the cap was there to keep the adjustment dial clean - but it appears it also holds the dial on as well!!

What kind of design is this? Has anyone else on here been frustrated by this? the adjustment stem doesn't even have a ridge or hole for the set screw to plant into - just tightness and friction hold it together...

I would appreciate a comment from anyone on here who has had PSS9's for a length of time, and adjusts them occasionally. (I do to switch from stiff for track, and full soft for road). Do you leave the cap on or off? Have you ever lost a dial? Do you guys just never adjust them?

Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave the blue cap off. It is a real pain in the @$$ to get off and not necessary. Haven't lost a dial yet but I know others that have. Its also counterintuitive that 1 is the stiffest setting and 9 is the softest. Why??
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

reset the dial with the set screw and leave the blue condom off. I adjust mine for track use and keep the settings to/from the track.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can adjust them with the cap on but you have to have the 'feel'....

PS: The PSS10's have bigger dials and are easily adjusted....
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I could never get that 'feel' with the blue condoms on. And leaving them on can lead to a different set of problems. If it is not seated well on the - ehem! - the stem, it can act as a - umm... a reservoir, for - uh.... fluids. Yep, it can act as a reservoir for fluids to accumulate and rust out the dial. (No, really! That's not just a play on words!).

I'm not sure how the rear springs work on a coupe, but when I had them on my cabriolet, the dials on the rear springs had to accessed from the top, through a gap in the partially closed soft top mechanism. Those didn't even come with the blue caps.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I could never get that 'feel' with the blue condoms on. And leaving them on can lead to a different set of problems. If it is not seated well on the - ehem! - the stem, it can act as a - umm... a reservoir, for - uh.... fluids. Yep, it can act as a reservoir for fluids to accumulate and rust out the dial. (No, really! That's not just a play on words!).

I'm not sure how the rear springs work on a coupe, but when I had them on my cabriolet, the dials on the rear springs had to accessed from the top, through a gap in the partially closed soft top mechanism. Those didn't even come with the blue caps.
IIRC they're on the side of the shock body at the bottom and easily acccessible. If oil is accumulating in the cap, I would assume the damper need rebuilding....

Quick Reply: PSS9 blue plastic cap and set screw