Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple/Cheap Video editing software for Aiptek or other HD Video?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple/Cheap Video editing software for Aiptek or other HD Video?

I am looking for some simple Video editing software for my Aiptek GVS Hd camera. I don't need any more than the following functions:

1. Trimming
2. Basic titles
3. PIP for 2nd camera or RaceChrono2Avi input
4. File conversion to Various formats
5. Ability to Burn HD DVDs in AVCHD and/or DIVX formts
6. Ability to Burn normal DVDs

I have tried the Arcsoft software that came with the Aiptek. It will do 1,2,4,6, but not PIP and the video output to DVDs seemed a little weak.

I have Downloaded Sony Vegas Platinum trial, which seems to do everything if I can ever figure it out. Can anyone tell me if the lesser versions will do all of the above?

I have also downloaded Pinnacle 14 and the same comments apply.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by johntorg; 12-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
chris_v
Instructor

heres some software that some of us 944 drivers use to edit all of our video. No affiliation.

www.racerender.com
Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your #3 is non-trivial and I can think of no simple or cheap package that will do it.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Actually, I managed to get PIP working with Quicktime pro ($19.99) It doesn't do much in terms of different output files and needs an external program to burn DVDs. I'm still working on that.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Progress Report. Here is a short clip of PIP video, Inserting a RaceChrono2AVI image into a.MOV file from my Aiptek, using Quicktime Pro. I tried uploading to Youtube with the .MOV file, but the insert didn't appear. I converted it to MP4 and it works. I looks as if I can move, resize and alter transparency of the insert with Quicktime Pro. Not bad for a $105 Camera, a $200 laptimer and $20 Software. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxANXkk85xs

I'll Try Vimeo next.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just gave it a go on RaceRender, pretty good software.......

I can't get it to work with AVI though, so only WMV or MOV have worked for me.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

A little more Progress. I managed to upload .mov files with PIP and created by Quicktime Pro. The secret was to "Export" them rather than use the "Save As" option.

I think I'm giving up on Vegas (too complicated) and Pinnacle 14 (Crashes a lot).

I have downloaded Corel Studio X2 and have created an AVCHD file which I will try to test on a standalone Blu-Ray player. It works on a PC pretty well.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I tried RaceRender and it looks good. I'm using RaceChrono2AVI, because it interfaces with RaceChrono output (so does RaceRender) and is free.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Wow, I didn't know Quicktime Pro could do PIP. I actually use QT Pro. Guess I haven't explored its functionality enough yet. How do you synch up the two videos for PIP?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Its pretty easy. You just play the movie to the spot where you want to insert the PIP and follow the help instructions. You can then move it around to get the exact location. When you finish, you have to export it rather than save it if you want to upload to Vimeo or Youtube.

Here are the instructions:

Presenting Multiple Movies in the Same Frame

With QuickTime Pro, you can place multiple video tracks in the same window to play movies side by side or to create a picture-within-a-picture effect.
To present multiple movies in the same frame:

1. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the first movie.
2. Choose Edit > Copy, then open the second movie.
3. Move the playhead to the point at which you want the first movie to begin playing (usually the beginning or end of the original movie), and choose Edit > "Add to Movie."
4. Choose Window > Show Movie Properties, select the new video track, and click Visual Settings.
5. Use the Current Size and Layer controls to set the new video to a desired size and layer (layers with lower numbers are farther forward, or more "on top").

For example, for a picture-within-a-picture effect, with the added movie inside the original movie, make the new movie smaller and assign it a lower layer number.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pinnacle is trash!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info on PIP with Quicktime Pro. I've used the software for years and had no idea it had that capability. I've been using a Chasecam SS1000 to do it via hardware.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Pinnacle is trash!!!!
I agree 100%, plus as soon as you buy it you find out there is a new version that supposedly fixes whatever problems you are having... and the cycle never ends!! Wish the Mac program worked in Windows... may just get a Mac laptop next time so I can run anything I want, best of both worlds...
Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Glad I could help. I'm spending this rainy afternoon trying out Corel. I'll post an update later. BTW I took 2 disks(DVD and AVCHD) to Best Buy to try them out (Edited w/pip on Quicktime pro and Burned/Converted on Corel) Amazingly both worked on a Samsung Blu-ray player ( model 1600 $149) The AVCHD was clearer, but the upconverted DVD wasn't too bad.

Now to see if Corel can do it all without undue complication or Stability issues. BTW its only $45 at amazon
Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
may just get a Mac laptop next time so I can run anything I want, best of both worlds...
Christmas is coming....... put it on your Santa list........

Quick Reply: Simple/Cheap Video editing software for Aiptek or other HD Video?