Toyota truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Forgot,

NHTSA Towing Guide http://primotrailersales.com/Towing_Tips.pdf

2008 Trailer Life towing guide http://www.trailerlife.com/images/di...wGuide0801.pdf
Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
John do you have 4:10 gears in your dually? I'm impressed buy the 19MPG non-towing mileage.. Best my Ford can do it about 16 highway, 13 towing....
I don't know what rear end it has. It is the 6 speed allison transmission though. When towing, I run it in the tow mode which I think is probably 5th gear. If I ran it not in tow mode, I'd probably do better towing but I don't want to harm the transmission. Plus I like the way the transmission downshifts under braking or going down hills while in tow mode.

I'll look at my book when the wife gets home. She drives it half the time.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a 2007 Tundra, and pull a 24 ft Pace enclosed with a GT3. Trailer loaded weighs about #9500. I use a weight distributing hitch and have about #900-950 tongue weight. I put on helper springs. I have never had a problem, even taking the back ( very steep hills) way into Watkins Glen. It has never even gotten warm. I've never had any sway. It pulls absolutely straight, even in the wind. The tranny cooler does its job. I have gotten between 9 and 11 mpg, but it is reg gas. It is extremely comfortable and quiet, much better ride than the bigger trucks mentioned. I think that next time I'll get a diesel, but that is only because, like most of the people on this string, bigger is better. But to me, this is easily good enough.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had 2 F350's which were total disasters. Both were expertly maintained and well cared for but gave me nothing but fits. My Dodge 3500 Cummins Mega-Cab is the best towing and most reliable truck we have ever owned. We tow race cars as well as horse trailers and it is not uncommon for the truck to be towing 12-13,000 pounds. Cummins engine never breaks a sweat.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 Toyota Seq, 5.7L, tow capacity 9600 lbs. Pull a 22 ft ATC with a RSA, three sets of spare wheels/tires, generator, compressor, tools, etc. Has 5.5 dual axels. Found a chart that gave safe trailer size for tow vehicle wheel base length - that's why the 22ft. Use a Reese straight line hitch. Tow through the Cascades, and over the passes into Cali. No problems at all. 3500 diesel might be better, but I have no complaints.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I have had 2 F350's which were total disasters. Both were expertly maintained and well cared for but gave me nothing but fits. My Dodge 3500 Cummins Mega-Cab is the best towing and most reliable truck we have ever owned. We tow race cars as well as horse trailers and it is not uncommon for the truck to be towing 12-13,000 pounds. Cummins engine never breaks a sweat.
Those of us who have alot of experience with diesels ( I currently own 5 from Ford, CAT, Case & Mack) will not argue that the Cummins is probably the best Pick Up diesel engine out there. It's the rest of the truck tht many have concerns about.

When I was looking for our next Heavy P/U that would see alot of towing I went with the Ford primarily because at that point it was the only one with the Tow Command feature which features an integrated brake controller that is tied to the ABS. It is the best thing since sliced bread. I understand that other makes now have similar options.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I don't know what rear end it has. It is the 6 speed allison transmission though. When towing, I run it in the tow mode which I think is probably 5th gear. If I ran it not in tow mode, I'd probably do better towing but I don't want to harm the transmission. Plus I like the way the transmission downshifts under braking or going down hills while in tow mode.

I'll look at my book when the wife gets home. She drives it half the time.
Most of the 3500 Chevy's will have the 4:10 rear end. I pull up to 18,000 pounds and even in tow mode it will still use 6th gear. I suspect yours goes into 6th as well even while towing. I'm getting 19 empty and 12 loaded. They don't really get "broke in" till about 60,000 miles.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

I really like the Toyota 5.7 liter platform. And it is built in Texas by Texans, so you KNOW it is good!

That said, while all you shamma lamma ding dongs are salivating over diesels, there is another choice:

Ford F250 or F350 with the 6.8 liter V-10 gas motor. It's a list price upcharge of like $600 versus the $6,500 for the diesel. And it really hauls.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

shamma lamma ding dongs ???

Is that the best you got??

You know what they say in Tejas...Go big or go home !
Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
shamma lamma ding dongs ???

Is that the best you got??

Dass all ah need, dawg!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Tundra will be perfect for your needs. The older ones are in no way comparable, they are mini-trucks. The 5.7L motor is stout and the 6spd trans very nice. It is certainly the best value in the 1/2 ton market, IMHO, and that is why I got one. Mine was under $30k new. If you are dropping $40k, a diesel will be a better value.

My only complaint with my truck is the small gas tank. 26 gallons. I do get 20mpg highway though. Not bad for nearly 400hp and a 4.3 rearend
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I really like the Toyota 5.7 liter platform. And it is built in Texas by Texans, so you KNOW it is good!
Yes, but by that logic, the Shamwow is made in Germany, and you know the Germans make good stuff...

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ford F250 or F350 with the 6.8 liter V-10 gas motor. It's a list price upcharge of like $600 versus the $6,500 for the diesel. And it really hauls.
Except you'll be stopping every 30 minutes to fill up, which tends to annoy others that you may be towing with who happen to have diesels.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Except you'll be stopping every 30 minutes to fill up, which tends to annoy others that you may be towing with who happen to have diesels.
VR has a small bladder, so this works well for him
Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, but by that logic, the Shamwow is made in Germany, and you know the Germans make good stuff...

The Shamwow RULES, irrespective of the drug-addicted *****-beater who shills it.

You are incorrect about the V10's fuel economy. The REALITY is that, with the new diesel emission equipment, diesel fuel economy on new vehicles SUCKS, and you've gotta ttake a leak into your urea tank every coupple of hundred miles as well. The V10 actually gets comparable fuel economy towing as a brand new Ford twin turbo diesel....and 1/10th the acquisition cost + no peeing.

Quick Reply: Toyota truck