Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   '03 Duramax (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/536126-03-duramax.html)

WHB Porsche 11-20-2009 01:28 PM

'03 Duramax

Hey all,

I posted this in OT, but thought you would have some valuable input. I'm considering a 2003 2500HD with the 6.6 DMax and a rare ZF-6 manual transmission. It's got 172k miles and I could probably buy it for about $8,500. I'm looking at a total budget of about $12,500, so that's a hefty repair buffer.

I'm thinking I can rebuild the tranny and do the clutch and flywheel for <$3k, replace some miscellaneous shocks/springs/bushings for $1k. So what I'm wondering is... how long can I expect the lump in the front to last for?

One issue I know is the injectors, but it seems Chevy has warrantied them to 200k miles, though I'm not sure if they've been replaced on this particular truck.

Thanks in advance,

f1rocks 11-20-2009 01:35 PM

You may ask on the Duramax forum to see what the higher mileage trucks are doing for injector life. Mine (3500 07 Classic) only has 50K but running very well. I prefer the Allison Auto over the manual but the price isn't too bad if it's been maintained.

I had a Ford E350 with over 260,000 that never had the injectors worked on or even the heads pulled when I sold it. It's still going today at around 300k.

SG_M3 11-20-2009 01:59 PM

the dealer can pull the records and tell you if the truck is still available for the injector service. I think its 6 yr or 200k miles. The LB7 seems to last, doesn't have over heating issues like the lly. Keep on top of fuel filter changes, and you're good. The 6spd is rare, and seems pretty bullet proof.

I have bilstein 5100 with air bags in the rear, it will tow pretty much anything and be stable doing it. Mine is an 03.

Nader Fotouhi 11-20-2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche (Post 7085268)
Hey all,

I posted this in OT, but thought you would have some valuable input. I'm considering a 2003 2500HD with the 6.6 DMax and a rare ZF-6 manual transmission. It's got 172k miles and I could probably buy it for about $8,500. I'm looking at a total budget of about $12,500, so that's a hefty repair buffer.

I'm thinking I can rebuild the tranny and do the clutch and flywheel for <$3k, replace some miscellaneous shocks/springs/bushings for $1k. So what I'm wondering is... how long can I expect the lump in the front to last for?

One issue I know is the injectors, but it seems Chevy has warrantied them to 200k miles, though I'm not sure if they've been replaced on this particular truck.

Thanks in advance,

You better also check to see what needs to be replaced underneath due to rust. I bought a 01 GMC dually with only 52K miles on it last March and have
62K on it now. I dropped it at the dealer today for oil change and brake fluid flush. I got a call that the dealer will not do the flush because the bleeding valves on calipers are frozen due to rust (The brake lines showed corrosion on the outside when I bought it ). I do not think that the injectors have been replaced in mine, but the fuel regulator went during my first trip to the track. The life of the engine depends on how it has been taken care of previously. Any records? Some people claim their Duramax is still going strong with 300K on the engines.

GL

lipamax 11-20-2009 05:18 PM

Go to dieselplace.com and will find the answer to all of your question(s).

WHB Porsche 11-20-2009 06:02 PM

Thanks, guys. I've been doing some snooping on dieselplace, seems like a good, informative bunch. I think the transmission should be okay, but I'm just doing some pre-purchase arithmetic about what expensive things I can afford to replace if need be.

I'm pretty happy to potentially get a manual truck, just gotta decide if I can live with 2wd...

the flyin' scotsman 11-20-2009 09:13 PM

Charlie............I own a '03 Chev 3/4 ton Duramax engine, Alison tranny 4x4, crew cab long box. I've owned it since new and now has ~210k kms on the speedo.

To date I have had zero issues with the engine or tranny...............all fluids are changed per the owners manual.

The truck had a minor issue with the windshield washer motor and then later with the transfer case. Batteries had to be replaced his year.

The truck performs effortlessly loaded or not and gets ~900kms per tank of fuel.

If it has an issue it loves tyres; then again its a big heavy truck.