Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Well ,

Considering the guy was at home sitting on the coach eating Finnish ice cream laced with vodka, get's a call, heads out to maranello , jumps in stools car and bam on his way to his first race victory

Salo was considered during that time to be the best of the finns , both he , hakkinen and lehto were highly rated . Hakkinen got the break , the others didn't .....Yes in my opinion both he and lehto were better than trulli ...
This is getting scary... I agree with Wayne a lot nowadays...

Seriously though, the way Salo came in from his couch and took that car to the victory (he let Irvine by but would've otherwise won), and also out qualified Irvine (also in Monza) shows how capable he was. Definitely better than Trulli and I like Trulli a lot.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it wasnt like he was a complete Newb, It was hissecond race in the ferrari. He had also driven 3 races for BAR that season. It was also the old Hockenheim, not the most of technical circuits.

Still a good drive though.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Back in 05 Ferrari signed an agreement with Bernie , guarenteeing to him that they would stay in F1 until 2012. Remember the 05 US GP ... Ohhh yeah , a special moment .

Here let me refresh stale memories :

The 2005 United States Grand Prix was one of the most controversial Formula One motor races in modern history. It was held on June 19, 2005 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was the ninth race of the 2005 Formula One Season. Out of 20 cars entered for the race, only the six cars from the teams using Bridgestone tyres (Ferrari, Minardi and Jordan) competed. The remaining fourteen entrants, all using Michelin tyres, retired after the parade lap due to safety concerns.

Dis was not about tires this was about War ... Bernie vs them and with guarantees from Ferrari Bernie drew his line in the sands ( ohh i won't mention a little scalawag who benefited from such terse behavior )
They said it was about the tires , those paying attn knew it was war and nothing to do with the tires . I'm sure they ( the manufactures ) were mystified when Bernie ran the GP without them ..
I think your off with your black helicopter theory on this account. If you recall, appx. 3 Michelin runners went right into the wall (A Toyota, perhaps Trulli, A BMW (Ralf) and someone else). These all happened on Friday and Saturday and this was after Indy resurfaced the track with what I recall being a "Diamond surface".

Michelin did not test at the circuit after the resurfacing with F1 tires, but Bridgestone had no such problems because they had gathered data from the Indy 500 run earlier thus bringing to the US a better suited compound.

The Michelin runners threatened to not race on Sunday, Bernie said you WILL race and they called his bluff and didn't. What was Bernie supposed to do, refund everyone's money? Not Bernie. Let them race with 6 cars.

Just a short time later, Goodyear was crucified when their tires for the NASCAR Cup series were blowing out left and right from the new track surface for the Brickyard 400.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I think your off with your black helicopter theory on this account. If you recall, appx. 3 Michelin runners went right into the wall (A Toyota, perhaps Trulli, A BMW (Ralf) and someone else). These all happened on Friday and Saturday and this was after Indy resurfaced the track with what I recall being a "Diamond surface".

Michelin did not test at the circuit after the resurfacing with F1 tires, but Bridgestone had no such problems because they had gathered data from the Indy 500 run earlier thus bringing to the US a better suited compound.

The Michelin runners threatened to not race on Sunday, Bernie said you WILL race and they called his bluff and didn't. What was Bernie supposed to do, refund everyone's money? Not Bernie. Let them race with 6 cars.

Just a short time later, Goodyear was crucified when their tires for the NASCAR Cup series were blowing out left and right from the new track surface for the Brickyard 400.
Bwaaay Still clueless ........

Michelin brought revised tires in so the teams could race , the manufactures tried a George and it back fired . If the intent was safety , a chicane would have suffice as usual you can't grasp the obvious outside of daycare ...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gricec
Well it wasnt like he was a complete Newb, It was hissecond race in the ferrari. He had also driven 3 races for BAR that season. It was also the old Hockenheim, not the most of technical circuits.

Still a good drive though.
Trulli is now placed beside Alesi on my Almost was mantle . Trulli wasted talent by both , especially Alesi .....

Ohh I had to move Button from there and placed him beside Stool , Faux champion no 2 ....
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

The Michelins brought in were not tested and would have been on the car for the first time in race conditions... not very safe.

It was the Bridgestone runners that didn't allow the chicane and they had a point. Why should the Michelin runners be given dispensation when they screwed up with the compound thus leveling the playing field? You tent to forget the severity of the tire wars.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

"Chicane " = Safety

You tend to forget the "War" and the fact that Bridgestone was allowed to by the FIA to build spec Tires for Ferrari .........................
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

As Michelin made for ALonso?

Chicane??? This is F1. If your tires can't make the turn, you have to lift. If you lift you slow down. If you slow down, you lose. This is big boy racing Wayne, not the bench racing you enjoy.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Toyota needs to move out of F1 and reinforce their presence in NASCAR. All they sell is dull and boring sedans.

I own a 2003 Celica, years ago there were exciting cars, Supra, Celica, MR2. Now they just build boring, floppy, dull cars. As long as they stay away from exciting cars, they don't have my business.

By the way, that overpriced and heavy Lexus LF-A will prove to be the worst business decision since the Pontiac Aztek and VW Phaeton.
I'm buying just such a car this weekend. damn damn damn
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Chicane??? This is F1. If your tires can't make the turn, you have to lift. If you lift you slow down. If you slow down, you lose. This is big boy racing Wayne, not the bench racing you enjoy.
LOL... Michelin made tires for everyone else , including mclaren and williams ...
Ferrari had custom bridgestones against the FIA rules ..
Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete,

As very well must know, all the tracks nowadays have chicanes for safety. Often curbs get moved, raised or lowered (between Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays) all in the name of safety.
Putting a temporary chicane in Indy would've been the normal, sensible and really the only solution that should've happened that weekend.
Had there been three manufacturers with Bridgestones when Ferrari was NOT one of them, there is no doubt they would've installed a temporary chicane.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
gricec
Pro

Trulli is now placed beside Alesi on my Almost was mantle . Trulli wasted talent by both , especially Alesi .....

Ohh I had to move Button from there and placed him beside Stool , Faux champion no 2 ....
Alesi definitely was a great waste. Ill agree with that.

As for Button - well Ill eat my hat if he ever wins again.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gricec
Alesi definitely was a great waste. Ill agree with that.

As for Button - well Ill eat my hat if he ever wins again.
Shhhh lot of Buttons around ...............................
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
This is getting scary... I agree with Wayne a lot nowadays...
I'd go get that checked out right away.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

There was a lot more to the US F1 tiregate FIAsco.

Some don't seem to recall that...

Bridgestone had a "Heads Up" on the Indy track resurfacing.

Bridgestone owns Firestone who discovered the problem with the new track surface in testing for the Indy 500.

Firestone went back and modified their tires after initial tests showed severe tire wear.

Michelin had no data on the change in track surface until they arrived for practice and qualifying.

As I recall, Bernie went to the teams asking for support in adding the Chicane...
Ferrari wouldn't agree.

Then the Michelin teams offered to run with the chicane added, and wouldn't be running for points.

Mad Max veto'ed all proposals... insuring it would be a Bridgestone... three team race.

The Michelin shod teams were told by Michelin it was unsafe... and so, after the parade lap, they pulled into the pits.

We all know that Michelin provided $$$ for those fans who went to Indy the following year...

Then pulled out of Formula One.

After the six car FIAsco... Boy George didn't renew the F1 contract when it came up... and we no longer have a Formula One event here in the USA.

Quick Reply: Toyota next to leave Formula One