Sponsored by:

Miata or Boxster as my next track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer all the questions:

I may race someday, but it won't be anytime soon. So DE is the only venue for now.

The local PCA regions are friendly to non-Porsches. And I help out with organization so I'm in.

Not to worry about me fitting in a Miata. I'm 5'3" tall. If anything, I'll have to put in a booster seat!

If I get a Miata, it's gonna have a full roll cage.

I am concerned about giving up the paddock mojo stuff. I have never had as much fun as when I was a Porsche driver at PCA DE. It was a dream come true. I was a race car driver! (OK, I felt that way).
I know I'm going to give up some of the feeling. But it's that or give up the track altogether.

This is happening because I hit a tirewall at MidOhio a few weekends ago. I'm paying for the repairs out of pocket (not through insurance). It reinforced what I already knew: I don't want to keep my 911 on the track. It's just too cool of a car for me to bang up out there. And I can't afford to anyways.

I was never gonna have a high power Porsche. Never gonna compete on the basis of HP. Never wanted to. I never wanted anything beyond a 993. I don't want a car that takes me for a ride. I want one that I drive. That was the appeal of my 87 911 for me. I think the Miata will be similar. So would a Boxster.

Thanks to everyone. I value your input and please keep it coming.

By the way, I rode in my instructor's Miata last DE. He was all over the bumpers of the GT3 and Cup Car in front of us. He had to slow it up significantly so as not to run over them in the corners. It took them 3 laps to finally stop being aholes and stepping on the gas in the straights. But he did pass them.

YeeHaw! If I can do that one day... I won't miss that 911 at all

If only the Boxsters were cheaper to keep.

Last edited by 911vet; 10-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to you Shannon for getting right back on the horse!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
By the way, I rode in my instructor's Miata last DE. He was all over the bumpers of the GT3 and Cup Car in front of us. He had to slow it up significantly so as not to run over them in the corners. It took them 3 laps to finally stop being aholes and stepping on the gas in the straights. But he did pass them.
A Miata passing GT3s and Cup Cars in the instructor's run group?

Really?..........and I thought you had to be fast to become an instructor......
Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
A Miata passing GT3s and Cup Cars in the instructor's run group?

Really?..........and I thought you had to be fast to become an instructor......
It wasn't in the instructor group. My apologies, didn't mean to imply that. This was in a student run group. But it just shows that the right suspension is a good match for HP.

No way is a Miata going to take a GT3 or Cup car given equal drivers, I realize.

Originally Posted by sig_a
Kudos to you Shannon for getting right back on the horse!
Thanks Sig. I was actually going to run in the next run group even after hitting the wall, but my tires were delaminating. As you say, I wanted to make sure I stayed on that horse after he threw me. The damage ended up being worse than I first thought, but overall not so bad. I look forward to seeing you next spring.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
No way is a Miata going to take a GT3 or Cup car given equal drivers, I realize.
True statement. But when it happens, and it will, you know it's not the car that was better, it was the nut behind the wheel !

BTW - I should have added. I say get the Miata, AND........ I currently own a 944NA racecar, a 1988 911 Coupe street car, a Spec Miata, a street Miata, and another Miata waiting to become another Spec Miata. I've also built Spec Miatas and a few fairly fast Porsche racers and street cars over the years. Spent seat time in cars varying from SRF to Cup Cars to NASCAR, raced PCA, SCCA,NASA, and plenty of DE's.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM
jsh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

___^^^^^^^^^^^_____
He knows what he's talking about
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
PG:

I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and fit fine (w/headroom). It's all in fitting/installing the seat. Find someone who knows these cars to set you up and you'll fit......
This is a VERY good point about the Miata....I'm 6-1 190lbs and I refer to getting in a miata like this:

"fold yourself up into a little triangle...fall in the miata and unfold yourself"
Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I say get the Miata, AND........ I currently own a 944NA racecar, a 1988 911 Coupe street car, a Spec Miata, a street Miata, and another Miata waiting to become another Spec Miata. I've also built Spec Miatas and a few fairly fast Porsche racers and street cars over the years. Spent seat time in cars varying from SRF to Cup Cars to NASCAR, raced PCA, SCCA,NASA, and plenty of DE's.
Dude, you've sold me. I'm in search of a track Miata. One day when I've got the money, I'll put a 911 back on the track. Unless I'm a Miata convert, Spec racer by then.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Boxster

Miata's are pretty sweet, but the Boxster is sublime.....
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

SKL you are an evil man! You know my weakness and you are tempting me.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the Miata. It's the best car to run for financial reasons. The consumables and parts are VERY cheap. I'd love to see you in a boxster, but that car can be very expensive.

Miatas are very fun!!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the tracks you will run on matter, too. Horses for courses.
If you go Miata, at Watkins Glen you'll spend the better part of your day trying to get out of the toe of the boot. Tracks with long straights (VIR) are no fun, either, you'll get four laps to a session.
A shifter kart, on the other hand, was not a bad idea at all!
And I don't know why 944's are not getting the nod, full race ready turn keys are flipping weekly for 6500-7500 on the 944Cup forum.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You can pick up a good running, cosmetically challenged 944 for a couple grand. Strip out the interior, put in roll bar, race seats, and harnesses for another $2k (or $1k for used stuff). Give the car a roller paint job for $50. You'll have at least $5k left to spend on any needed repairs over the coming years. Some buddies and I did this for 24 hours of lemons (except that the car was bought for only $250). It's got a full cage, new tires, rebuilt engine, fresh shocks. All in, well under $2k.

Or, you can buy a completely prepped 944 cup or spec car for $7-$9k these days. I see them for sale all the time.

I know miata's are good reliable track cars, but they just don't do anything for me. I drove my buddies spec miata and it just couldn't get out of it's own way.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, 944 parts are very cheap if you consider buying stock, used parts that are constantly for sale from guys parting them out. If you are the type of person that has to upgrade everything, 944 performance parts will be more expensive than miata performance parts, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Miata or Boxster as my next track car?