Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA GT Performance index calculation method

Hi Guys,

I need some help. I did search this forum, but I didn't find a 100% clear answer.

Whre does my car classifies in the PCA Club Racing GT class?

With me in the car and 3/4 full tank of gas, total weight is 3070lbs. Maybe 3110 with a full tank of gas.

From my calculation, it makes for a performance index of 619. I will be running Hoosiers R6. So It looks like GT-3 is my class. But I'm nowhere near the 200hp/liter mark as far as power goes. So I'll probably be kick in the butt...

My engine is stock except for the turbo and the MAF (a rebuild is coming).

Am I correct?

Thanks

Charles
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2.5L 944 Turbo at that weight would be GT-3. The rules for PCA GT classes don't care what power you really make, just the motor displacement.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also weight needs to be minium weight coming off the track. So unless you plan to come off the track at 3/4 tank you actual weight is less.

Yes a stock turbo will be slow in PCA GT. The reason is that the car is classed as if it has a 400 hp motor because it could. If you want actual power vs potential power vs weight then you need to go with NASA and GTS classing. For that they class based on actual whp not a thoretical max power you can get from a 2.5L turbo motor.

PCA has improved their GT classing howeve as back in the day it was just pure displacement (with a turbo adder). So a 2.5L 944 NA was in the same class with 2.5L early 911. Now at least chassis weight and a factor based on motor design is added in to GT.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the answers! It's now clear.

I'll go review the Nasa GTS class too.

Tx.

C.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA is more straightforward in my opinion...weight/hp ratios, then they factor in DOT or slicks...seems a bit more fair.

Unless I'm missing something.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Hi Guys,

I need some help. I did search this forum, but I didn't find a 100% clear answer.

Whre does my car classifies in the PCA Club Racing GT class?

With me in the car and 3/4 full tank of gas, total weight is 3070lbs. Maybe 3110 with a full tank of gas.

From my calculation, it makes for a performance index of 619. I will be running Hoosiers R6. So It looks like GT-3 is my class. But I'm nowhere near the 200hp/liter mark as far as power goes. So I'll probably be kick in the butt...

My engine is stock except for the turbo and the MAF (a rebuild is coming).

Am I correct?

Thanks

Charles
would you not be better removing the MAF and going back to stock and racing in E class (or F depending on year?) Or do you have other mods bumping you our of stock / prepared
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
would you not be better removing the MAF and going back to stock and racing in E class (or F depending on year?) Or do you have other mods bumping you our of stock / prepared
Yep, with only a MAF in GT3 with a 944T, you're fighting a battle against players with a full arsenal with only a BB gun....

T
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the problem is the car that is fully stripped, the lower portion of the dash is removed, doors are gutted, A-arms are not stock, the turbo is not stock. So I have to go GT3. The car was not built with going racing in mind at first. I was a track toy. But racing now calls me!

I'll be rebuilding the engine this winter, but I'm not going with a 3.0L as I guess, I will be smoked even more in GT2 as I would have to lower the weight of the car, which I can't, my budget does not allow that for the moment...

Any advice? Does an LS engine is allowed in GT?

Tx.

C.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

HA, just go out and have fun with your track toy. Run in GT and so what if your DFL, just enjoy racing who is in front of you. I just switched to GT4 myself and had a blast running that class. Actually placed 2nd in class and 5th overall. Car was much faster wtih the weight pulled. Keep at it as you can pull a lot more weight out than you think. Just do one thing at a time.

Just play around wtih the numbers and weights and figure where your current car fits best. When you re do the motor you might decide to build an NA motor and drop a class and run heavier etc... just have fun no matter what.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No LS Motors allowed, I sent in a rules change request but it didn't end up on the proposed list :O

I agree with Gasser, you can learn a lot and have fun in what you've already got regardless of whether it is competitive in class.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gasser
HA, just go out and have fun with your track toy. Run in GT and so what if your DFL, just enjoy racing who is in front of you. Just do one thing at a time.

just have fun no matter what.
You're right! I'll start this way and we'll see then. Anyway, I don't plan to run many races for my 1st year, probably 1 or 2 only, so I can't imagine finishing on the podium right away... I will develop racecraft and advise after... I will still be doing more DE's than racing for the next 2 years.

Thanks guys

C.

Quick Reply: PCA GT Performance index calculation method