Sponsored by:

Want to get into racing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again to everyone for the kind support and advice.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

That's not a lot of track time under your belt, but passion is passion.

Karts are fun but may not give you what you are looking for.

I echo what some others said about getting a cheap(er) momentum car and get instructed track time in it.

Not sure about spec miatas... Yes they are momentum cars, but the fields are big and racing appears to be quite rough (imho)... Maybe not the best starting point.

I went from doing track days in GT3 to racing an 85 carrera... Was a good transition for me. Also, I found PCA club racing to be a good place to start for sports car racing rookies given the intolerance toward contact and the emphasis on safety.

Then again,,, you are 19... Karts could open doors for you if you have talent.

My 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Brad Waite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie,

I went through a similar process a few years ago and understand the feeling when you slip over the edge and decide to become a club racer. I did my first DE in 03 and 4 more DEs in 04, all in the 911 C4 street car I had at the time. By the end of 2004, I decided to buy a 944S2 race car, for both safety and performance reasons.

I set a goal to get my PCA racing license by the fall of 05 and set out to do as many track days as possible before the first race. By the time I took my first green flag, I had 31 track days total. I don't think anything truly prepares you for your first start in WTW racing, but I would encouage you to get as many track days in as possible before you take the leap. Once you are running with the advanced students, get yourself invited to open lapping days where you will run with instructors. This is a great way to learn and will accelerate the process.

I agree with the others on starting with a lower HP track prepared car. I'm on my second 944S2( left the first one on the back straight wall at Mid-Ohio last year at the NASA Nationals). You can pick up a 944 Cup car for 8K or spend $50-60k developing an S2 or Turbo. The point is, you can start small and take this sport wherever you want to go with it. I'm racing GTS2 in NASA most of the time now. Both PCA and NASA are great groups to run with. Feel free to run anying by me you wish. Good luck with your decisions.

Brad
Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, Brad and Fred, for taking the time to respond.

Quick Reply: Want to get into racing!