Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Car hard compound tires or old tires be softened? / WTB Hoosier (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/526426-car-hard-compound-tires-or-old-tires-be-softened-wtb-hoosier.html)

007DT 09-27-2009 10:38 AM

Car hard compound tires or old tires be softened? / WTB Hoosier

(title should read.. Can hard compound tires or old tires be softened?) I have several Hoosier Koni Tires I got in the deal of my car. Some had stickers, most had a questionable number heat cycles. Of those, there seems to be a good bit of meat on the tires. However, I really do not care for the tires at all. Is there a product that can be applied to the tire to soften the rubber subsequently making it better?

Also any feedback on these tires from those more experienced on them would be great.

Finally I am 1 tire shy of a set of Hoosier R6 245-40-17. If anyone has a lightly used one please PM me.

Thanks

RickBetterley 09-27-2009 11:23 AM

There is such a thing, but I can't recall the name.
Has (have?) been discussed on Rennlist, supposedly some really nasty fumes.
Check the online racer stores and I'll bet you find it.
I have never used it but would be interested in hearing from anyone that has.

Kurt R 09-27-2009 11:30 AM

I used to use Formula V on old race tires for autocrossing. Looks like you can still get it.

RedlineMan 09-27-2009 11:32 AM

Hey;

TrackClaw is one of a few products. Never done it, but a lot of guys do this or that. Some of the local yokles just use... kerosene.

SundayDriver 09-27-2009 11:33 AM

I have used Formula V. It works for a while but does not soften the tires for an extended period. If you use it, apply liberally with a brush and wrap the tire in plastic wrap to let it work for a while.

The bottom line is that you can 'fix' surface hardening, but you can't really undo the effects of heat cycles.

Matt Romanowski 09-27-2009 12:59 PM

The Koni spec Hoosier is much harder than a R6. Most people don't really care for the spec tire.

LDadrenaline 09-27-2009 02:35 PM

you can usually find the softening stuff on gokarting websites. I know that's the only reason I had it. I used it on a set of 2 year old tires and it really didn't seem to help much to be honest.

zmann 09-27-2009 10:13 PM

Dave, the guy that runs the red Ferrari Challenge swears by Victory Lane Tire Treatment.

A930Rocket 09-27-2009 11:13 PM

I've used Formula V many times. Use a small 6" paint roller to paint the tires until they are saturated and wrap with Saran wrap. I think you want to do this for 3-4 days and be done a few days BEFORE you drive on them.

Weston 09-28-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by SundayDriver (Post 6937090)
I have used Formula V. It works for a while but does not soften the tires for an extended period. ...

The bottom line is that you can 'fix' surface hardening, but you can't really undo the effects of heat cycles.

This has been my experience as well. It can improve heat-cycled out tires for about one race day, but it goes away during the second day.

GRM tested it several years back and found that it improves the performance of older tires, but new tires are still clearly better (and it doesn't help those at all).

Geoffrey 09-28-2009 04:31 PM

I don't think there are any products on the market that will soften a Hoosier Grand Am tire...