Hasta la vista, Renault F1 !

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
ltc - What I was trying to imply was whether Piquet threatened Renault with going public with his story if they did not renew his contract. After all, he admitted that he agreed to crash because he thought it would enhance his position within the team. It is unknown whether he did threaten them or not, but I imagine it is likely. Since they did not renew his contract he went public. Revenge? Perhaps, but at great cost to himself.

As to Alonza knowing .. that's speculation. It would not surprise me if the team decides what the fuel strategy is and the driver takes what he gets. Perhaps the low fuel load was an attempt to get a better qualifying position? I believe that Q3 requires that the car be fueled for the race. The fact that he qualified way back was not a fact during qualifying when the fuel load for Q3 was decided upon.

Regards,
Bob,

I agree with Lewis that NP was obviously trying to blackmail the team in a manner similar to FA while he was at McLaren.

Furthermore, Alonso had already qualified 15th. In that position he was freee to start with whatever fuel load he wanted (only the front of the grid is restricted to use the same load that they qualify with, i.e. those that make it to Q3).

Simply put, it made no sense to start the race light with only 15 laps in the tank. Alonso and his race engineer, would have both obviously realized that and questioned the decision. On that basis, (in addition to some of the things that were said over the radio by Alonso) I would bet that he was aware of the plan all along.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I read through the leaked radio communications, the long version. Alonso asked if the pit lane is closed several times when he sees the other drivers pitting after the safety car is out. Those drivers had to stop for fuel and were penalized later in the race. Alonso starts the race from the back of the grid on a very light fuel load, then pits 4 laps earlier than he has to without questioning it, then after the safety car comes out he's talking to the engineers to make sure pit lane is closed to his competitors. I would be very surprised if he had no idea something fishy was going on...
wrong he pitted earlier due to being held up by Nakajima .......
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
As to Alonza knowing .. that's speculation. It would not surprise me if the team decides what the fuel strategy is and the driver takes what he gets. Perhaps the low fuel load was an attempt to get a better qualifying position? I believe that Q3 requires that the car be fueled for the race. The fact that he qualified way back was not a fact during qualifying when the fuel load for Q3 was decided upon.
Really? Based on what we know about LMS, you think she just goes with the flow? IIRC since he qualified 15th, he didn't participate in Q3 and could have added as much fuel as the team decided.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

No, he's going to dump her once she gets into the third trimester.
Flav looks like he's in his own third trimester.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yea, okay. It's a street course, everyone is held up, (roll of the eyes here)

Cory, can you post a link to the radio transmissions? If what you posted is true, the FIA has to look at that and conclude Alonso knew what the plan was all along. Too much coincidence IMHO.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Guys, I could be wrong, but my spidey sense tells me Fernando is going to get hit on this one.

His name has been under the radar on this investigation.

To the best of my knowledge, the FIA has not interviewed him and if they have, they haven't put anything out there for the press.

Ferrari hasn't announced his signing.

He hasn't been granted immunity like he was in the McLaren case.

His agent has been fired.

The radio transmissions could be the nail in his coffin.

If Alonso is suspended, can anyone extend a job to him? Perhaps a valet or corner working?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You need to read this again....

http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/docu...%20Of%20PK.pdf
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I really enjoy these little F1 'family get togethers'...brings back warm memories of when Alonso spent an extra 10 seconds sitting in the pits while Hamilton waited behind for service....of course it was completely by accident....I'll never forget the sight of Ron Dennis slamming his headset down after that little "non incident".
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

They're here:
http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/vi...transmissions/

Flavio Briatore: "'Cause no way we're overtaking Nakajima with these tyre."

Saying he was stuck behind Nakajima is utter BS. You better believe Alonso knew- I'm sure he was more than complicit and no doubt helped arrange this little shunt. If you want to believe he's above this you're blind or hopelessly naive.

Say what you will about Piquet (and there's not much good you can say about him) no driver should have to go threw that kind of hell. No one would have believed that he was asked to crash had he refused to do so- and damn few believed him afterward. If he was fast he could have walked but we all know he ain't- and he knew it too.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39027

Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
This is interesting...

Alonso was interviewed first, but merely confirmed that his reaction to wheelspin in turn 17 was conventional.

So Alonso is aware of the proceedings and (now) the outcome...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Guys, I could be wrong, but my spidey sense tells me Fernando is going to get hit on this one......

Ferrari hasn't announced his signing.....
I thought I heard somewhere that Ferrari would be making the Alonzo announcement at Monza which obviously didn't happen.

Did they know the sh%$ was about to hit the fan?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I thought I heard somewhere that Ferrari would be making the Alonzo announcement at Monza which obviously didn't happen.

Did they know the sh%$ was about to hit the fan?
Yep, in a fit of ecstacy while being fellated by Luca, Bernie blabbed.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nelson Piquet Jr. and Snr. should be called what they are: hypocrites. I think Nelson Jr. should have been grateful for the opportunity to race, and was only given so because of his last name. Now the Piquets look like spoiled children who cry and toss their toys from the pram when things are not going their way. He got a free ride and couldnt' make it, plain and simple. That is not reason enough to throw a fit and set the babysitter's house on fire.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

I read through the leaked radio communications, the long version. Alonso asked if the pit lane is closed several times when he sees the other drivers pitting after the safety car is out. Those drivers had to stop for fuel and were penalized later in the race. Alonso starts the race from the back of the grid on a very light fuel load, then pits 4 laps earlier than he has to without questioning it, then after the safety car comes out he's talking to the engineers to make sure pit lane is closed to his competitors. I would be very surprised if he had no idea something fishy was going on...

What looks like a turd & smells like a turd usually IS a turd.

Pete, I am sure our Jamaican buddy can find LOTS of things he'd like to pay LMS to do to...er...for him.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Hasta la vista, Renault F1 !