Sponsored by:

Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
You need to share your talents with a much larger group of people, dude. You're doing just fine!

Russell, i had fun riding with you in your cool new car!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Russell, i had fun riding with you in your cool new car!

Same here (as always!). In retrospect, the rain accelerated my transition from AWD to RWD - way more than a dry track and R6's would have. Major strides on the confidence meter; thanks for your encouragement!

And thanks also for the help on the 4-5-6 line in the rain. It worked so well that I almost forgot to give it up when the track finally dried on Sunday.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Same here (as always!). In retrospect, the rain accelerated my transition from AWD to RWD - way more than a dry track and R6's would have. Major strides on the confidence meter; thanks for your encouragement!

And thanks also for the help on the 4-5-6 line in the rain. It worked so well that I almost forgot to give it up when the track finally dried on Sunday.
I am glad thhat worked for you. I get a lot of strange looks from a lot of people when I teach that line, but it works like nobody's business. Pays to think outside the box. I taught it in the White classroom as well, some folks tried it & had the same reaction as you!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Driving in the rain on the track rocks.

But towing the car home in the rain sucked. There was one patch of weather that slowed I-45 down to about 35 mph for almost an hour. I also learned that hydroplaning 8 wheels is more than twice as exciting as 4.
LMFAO!!

I guess you had to unload in the dark / rain as well?

I am sure it was all worth it.

JP
Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

I am glad thhat worked for you. I get a lot of strange looks from a lot of people when I teach that line, but it works like nobody's business. Pays to think outside the box. I taught it in the White classroom as well, some folks tried it & had the same reaction as you!

I missed white classroom due to grid duties. Can you elaborate?

JP
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jperquin
I missed white classroom due to grid duties. Can you elaborate?

JP

Wet line thru 4 = stay on the outside of the track all the way around. Then stay there on the inside (driver's left) all the way thru 5 and into 6. You'll have to slow a bunch for 6 & begin rotating the car before the apex, so you're nearly straight at apex (where it is slipperiest), but then you're good to go for the whole 6-7 straight!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet line thru 4 = stay on the outside of the track all the way around. Then stay there on the inside (driver's left) all the way thru 5 and into 6. You'll have to slow a bunch for 6 & begin rotating the car before the apex, so you're nearly straight at apex (where it is slipperiest), but then you're good to go for the whole 6-7 straight!

Interesting, per my instructor suggestion, I ran the T4 wet line as you suggest and it indeed does work great, but I (we or maybe he chose not to ) did not think of going inside on 5-6. I'll give it a try next opp. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like a weather replay of the 'Two Step' race weekend.

Glad y'all finally got much needed rain.

T
Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Interesting.. First Sat am session this is exactly what I tried (based on OJ's suggestion, who stated that the track is much more "grainy", ie. grippy on the left) and it felt very reassuring (ie. faster?).
When I had Hugh in my right seat he advised against following the curb all the way into 5 and 6 and move over to the right between 4 and 5.
Conditions were similar but not the same between sessions so it is hard to say what really worked best. I guess I'll go by what felt best and follow your wet line Dave. (that didn't sound right)

JP
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Interesting.. First Sat am session this is exactly what I tried (based on OJ's suggestion, who stated that the track is much more "grainy", ie. grippy on the left) and it felt very reassuring (ie. faster?).
When I had Hugh in my right seat he advised against following the curb all the way into 5 and 6 and move over to the right between 4 and 5.
Conditions were similar but not the same between sessions so it is hard to say what really worked best. I guess I'll go by what felt best and follow your wet line Dave. (that didn't sound right)

JP

IMO both are valid lines. My point in class was to encourage folks to think outside the box and look for a variety of places to place the car in the wet: there, in 7, in 8/9, coming into 1, etc. Just like I encourage this in the dry.

Someone this past weekend summed it up wonderfully for me: wet or dry, in Green thru Yellow, it's all about The Line. In White (and even more so in Red) there is no line.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 AM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It _was_ a great weekend. As always, the wet shows who is smooth (and fast), and who is not.

I couldn't think of a better weekend for students. Wet on Saturday, dry on Sunday. I dare say that the average Green or Blue student was faster on Sunday afternoon this last weekend than they would have been if Saturday would have been dry.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone this past weekend summed it up wonderfully for me: wet or dry, in Green thru Yellow, it's all about The Line. In White (and even more so in Red) there is no line.

I'll have to remember that line

Originally Posted by weneversleep
As always, the wet shows who is smooth (and fast), and who is not.
Paraphrasing VR's line above...
I can be smooth and slow - wet or dry.

LMFAO!!

I guess you had to unload in the dark / rain as well?

I am sure it was all worth it.

JP
Fortunately I made it back before sundown, during a break in the rain.

Yes, it was worth every drop.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
It _was_ a great weekend. As always, the wet shows who is smooth (and fast), and who is not.

I couldn't think of a better weekend for students. Wet on Saturday, dry on Sunday. I dare say that the average Green or Blue student was faster on Sunday afternoon this last weekend than they would have been if Saturday would have been dry.

Well said.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Just keep rubbing it in that I had to miss this one.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Thanks guys. Just keep rubbing it in that I'm a dumbass for missing that one.
heh heh...

Quick Reply: Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13