Sponsored by:

Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hahahaha! Be nice, or I will make sure you get a ride in this car....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Wendelin Wiedeking testing PDK with Launch Control after he was fired.

...and yes, I'll be there in Sept
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts
Default More Seat Time!!!

I can hardly wait to get back to TWS. And, hey, why not make it 3 days of driving? TWS has the track open on Friday from 3pm to 7pm. There is typically only one run group, so you can clock four hours of seat time on Friday - more than you can do Saturday and Sunday combined!

Sign up at ClubRegistration.net - only $115, solo drivers only. On Friday at noon I will be at my desk doing paperwork - at 3:00 I will be entering Turn 1 at 135mph. I love this town...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the one day events by TWS Club. Just did one 2 weeks ago and had the best time at TWS ever. Comparing it to a PCA weekend, twice as much track time (or more if wanted) , much less traffic, safe in one group and 25% less not counting the saved hotel costs. Hard to beat and I will be back ...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
Wendelin Wiedeking testing PDK with Launch Control after he was fired.

...and yes, I'll be there in Sept

Hahaha! Excellent. I think you should go back to street tires, though.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

OK, so who was I supposed to ride with again besides Russell?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, so who was I supposed to ride with again besides Russell?

You'll want to ride w me twice... first in yellow, as I pay my dues from the last DE for having lost any resemblance of large attachments adjusting to the new car, and then again in white (as I fully intend to find said attachments by the end of Saturday)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in.
However, I start to worry about the increasing number of participants. We are now over 30 cars in white run group, and 65 in red! It's good to have a lot of instructors, but when the track gets too crowded, a lot of the red group drivers go out in white in stead. Also, the driving skills in white run group varies too much, and the slower ones are more busy looking ahead than looking in their rear view mirrors. As much as I appreciate the LSR PCA DE events, I wish we could have something more challenging, without going all the way to club racing. Mike, you have been a DE mentor for a long time, and I see that you are on the ITS program for this DE. Is there a way we could gather enough elite drivers and rent a track for a day or two? With 20-30 drivers this would be affordable, and a lot of fun. What do you guys think?
See ya'll on Saturday!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
I'm in.
However, I start to worry about the increasing number of participants. We are now over 30 cars in white run group,...
That gives each car about 1/10 mile of track.

When I did my first DE (i.e. green) I was worried that I'd be on the track with 30 others who had never been on the track before. It turned out not to be a problem.

Doesn't the PCA have a rule on how many cars/mi can be on the track?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

We've been running ~30 cars per run group for nearly the entire time I've been involved in the program. Any issues that I've seen in the white group have been associated with folks not paying attention to who is behind them and how they are closing, not with how many cars are on the track. As long as everyone is paying attention and giving prompt point-bys, there's no problem. My understanding is that the instructor corp has been watching this fairly closely recently.

As far as a private track day, I've looked into this in the past, but the cost is pretty high. Besides, I don't know any elite drivers. Only average ones, myself very much included.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in.
However, I start to worry about the increasing number of participants. We are now over 30 cars in white run group, and 65 in red! It's good to have a lot of instructors, but when the track gets too crowded, a lot of the red group drivers go out in white in stead. Also, the driving skills in white run group varies too much, and the slower ones are more busy looking ahead than looking in their rear view mirrors. As much as I appreciate the LSR PCA DE events, I wish we could have something more challenging, without going all the way to club racing. Mike, you have been a DE mentor for a long time, and I see that you are on the ITS program for this DE. Is there a way we could gather enough elite drivers and rent a track for a day or two? With 20-30 drivers this would be affordable, and a lot of fun. What do you guys think?
See ya'll on Saturday!
No problem with that many in the red run group, there is no problem with passing. Many of the instructors are riding either with each other, sharing a car, or like myself, don't even bring a car because we are always in someone else's car. So although there are 60+ instructors they are not all on track at the same time.
As for renting the track with a group, it's more than just renting the track, it's the liabilty, the insurance, the radios, corner workers, etc etc. Misty with TWS does a great job with her track days and they run on some fridays for solo guys and some weekends for the whole package. It really is a good deal for someone wanting more seat time. There are also a number of private days that are run at TWS and MSR Houston, I get more time at the track than I can use.

I'll be at Miller this weekend so you guys have fun and keep the shiny side up !
Let me know how things go MG , I'll be available by phone if you need anything.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viking nailed it. If you need more track time at TWS outside of PCA, just go to the private TWS events that TWS schedules. I've been to one in the past and there was lots of quality track time. But PCA events are still top of my list because they are so well run and have the best instructor corps out there. I only do non-PCA events if there is time and budget left over.

I also think it's good to have instructors come out in White periodically because they will deal with a situation by talking to an offending driver if they see someone isn't playing well with others in white.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

True, the cost for a single day can put your entry fee much higher than a PCA event. The track does it cheap because,...its their track. There is also the cost of an ambulance, and corner workers. It adds up.

Looking forward to this weekend. The downtime in Summer is two months too long.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish we could have something more challenging, without going all the way to club racing.
  • Turn off all driver aids
  • Use street tires
  • Downshift to no lower than 3rd gear
  • Drive a racing line instead of the optimum line.
  • Simulate a unexpected issue with the car (e.g. imagine that your clutch pedal just broke off (so remove it)... can you still drive smoothly with only half of the pedal surface area?
  • Imagine that you're in a P1 car at an ALMS event
  • Become an instructor, and teach us bastards how to use our mirrors.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

Naa, mirrors just slow you down. If they are in your mirrors it doesn't matter. No wait, DE talk not race talk. Nevermind.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Won't be there due to business trip. See you guys in October :-(
Hope to see you on October then Steve..

JP

Quick Reply: Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13