Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

July 30 - Fantastic Day at Lime Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default July 30 - Fantastic Day at Lime Rock!

What a fantastic set of sessions today in Black and I hear others felt the same. Had some drama - for some reason I was always the guy right behind somebody who spun. First was a 720 (ended perfectly straight and in the right direction) and next was a 540 (ended up perpendicular, blocking the track). Neither left the track, both were just fine and continued after getting checked by the Steward.

Weather was damp first session and beautiful by mid morning. Track got really sticky by 3rd session and 4th was amazingly fast.

My C2S really hit its stride today and I'm finally figuring it out - what revs this DFI engine likes, how the suspension works (Sport PASM w/ LSD), and that the R888 are pretty good in the rain and in the dry are "hot" after about 8 heat cycles worth of wear.

My daughter and son also had great days - both their instructors were very complimentary.

Some great running with a bunch of the guys here at RL - Gary, Sean, Bela, Dave, Nick, Victor, Don, and a few I'm probably forgetting right now (long day, cleaned the car).
Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice to hear it was a great event Ron......

I am still bummed I couldn't make it.......

Was the track stickier due to all the rubber laid down from the ALMS event?

The black group must have been running in the low 1:00:XX.....

Please tell me more.......
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hey Paolo,

The track was green from all the rain, so we had to lay our own rubber down and by the end of the day it was getting pretty sticky.

The stock Gen 2 Sport PASM suspension was really working well and I had a couple of guys from the group ask what it was thinking it was aftermarket and track oriented. Dan's alignment worked very well, but at -2.3 camber up front, still a fair amount of understeer. PFC 97s worked extremely well as usual.

I didn't have my TraqMate with me as I had a lot going on that day (both kids driving), but based on what some of the guys were suggesting, it sounds like we were in that 1 to 1:02 range depending on the session and lap. Plenty of clear track (especially the rain session when there were maybe 6 of us out and they all went in until I was the only one left and after 6 laps alone, I got lonely and pitted in). Everyone was courteous with quick point-bys including many very late ones such that it appeared like we were 2-wide in places like West Bend. The pond and river in No Name was interesting at the start of the day. First couple of laps and people were getting their right feet wet passing because the pond was so big. The river was just past the pond so it was interesting to watch (and feel) 2-wide going through the river and the cars would plane, shift right about 3-6 inches, then settle on pavement again.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I can say the 3rd session of the day I had the most fun i've EVER had to date at a DE thanks to Sean and Bela. It was also the first time I was laughing so hard (while driving) I had tears in my eyes. Kudos to CVR and HVR for not black flagging us! If ONLY I had a video.... Sean flipping people off, giving me 10 passing signals (at once) and me refusing to pass, pushing Bela into the marbles in West Bend (twice!), refusing to pass him.. what a great run.

As always, a pleasure to be on the track with you Ron.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I can say the 3rd session of the day I had the most fun i've EVER had to date at a DE thanks to Sean and Bela. It was also the first time I was laughing so hard (while driving) I had tears in my eyes. Kudos to CVR and HVR for not black flagging us! If ONLY I had a video.... Sean flipping people off, giving me 10 passing signals (at once) and me refusing to pass, pushing Bela into the marbles in West Bend (twice!), refusing to pass him.. what a great run.

As always, a pleasure to be on the track with you Ron.
dont sound much like DE to me, but certainly sounds fun!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
dont sound much like DE to me, but certainly sounds fun!
We were "educating" Bela, who has taken to a 911 like a duck to water. One of the other high points was us coming up on Vito in his 924, he wouldn't let us by in no-name so we made his life "interesting" with a 3 SC barrage from there until the downhill. It was all Bela's fault BTW, in case anyone is looking for retribution...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

thank god i know how to handle u punks..had a great time !
kudo's to CVR for holding a awesome event. nice to see everyone. next time i will bring more italian pastry and thank you for the promotion to black
see u soon and wish me luck next week for my nasa race !
vito
p.s. to dave basett - tnks for showing me the line .. lol !
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Suuuuuuure...... the only CVR event I don't show up and Vito brings the Italian Pastries..........

Glad to hear you boys had fun............

Vito congrats for Black with CVR...... you are a real cowboy now.......
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

always a cowboy, now its official !
thanks
vito
Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my fault.....
Thanks for the "education" it was a blast chasing you guys.
I get the feeling that you were not showing me all there is to know, I guess I just have to come racing and find out.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey Ron, got any pics from the event? Glad you had a blast! The Sport PASM and the new DFI engine is something huh? I am jealous of you lower control arms!.....I need to get some real bad for my C2S.

take care, Mike
Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Yeah, my fault.....
Thanks for the "education" it was a blast chasing you guys.
I get the feeling that you were not showing me all there is to know, I guess I just have to come racing and find out.
Dan said it didn't sound like a "Driver's Education", I think you learned a lot and quite quickly! Susan said to lay it all on you so i'm stickin with that...

1:02.x's in a DE, in our cars, ain't gathering any moss buddy! Your 1st race practice you will get out of your car with a grin so big your cheeks will hurt. Get the process rolling, you are 100% ready to rock and roll!

Oh, and it's time to change that avatar, especially with the great new HD graphic! You would think Charlie would have told his PAYING customers about that one....
Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tons of fun, awesome event as usual. Maybe I will get a red wristband some day like the hotshot twins.... Alway fun especially watching the SCs battle.
I simply try to get around all of them as efficiently as possible and not upset their "chemistry"
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

"Hotshot Twins" eh? Can't speak for "Paris" but this one is looking forward to the next time that yellow headlighted sum-be-atch is behind me!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

A couple of the guys in the paddock were talking about getting "swarmed" by some black hornets or something like that I think my finest hour of the DE was the rain session (NOT). I'm out there with maybe 5 or 6 others thinking "OK, this is probably where the R888 trumps the Hoosiers and R1s you racers are probably running". Sure enough, they were pretty capable. But as I start to have some fun, out goes the fist and another pits in. After 6 more laps all alone out there, I called it - just nobody to play with.

I thought Lime Rock Brook was a nice effect. Going through it at speed 2 wide and then taking a wet uphill off line was interesting - ended up in a controlled slide up and over the Uphill a couple of times.

A few of shots for you Mike
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: July 30 - Fantastic Day at Lime Rock!