Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversteer Fun or a bad handling car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

VR, I thought we are going to calm it down a little. No, i have not driven it, but have watched a lot of in car and know where you are going with that. yes, I know Sebring is a bump-fest! . Many corners like the ones shown are seen at most any track. our tracks have bumps too, and some worse than the turns shown. Now, I was only pointing out a possiblity with the equip. for a car that is close to what you and I have raced before. Ive been off line, on curbs, through 3 cars and not had the back end step out like that for that kind of turn.
for a car like we are talking about , on Hoosiers, I wouldnt expect that kind of step out for the steering input and timing of the turn, even if he did get on the gas a little too early. It was just some observations made from what I saw.

Ill be interested to see if suspension changes will alter the set up.

I have a little video that you might want to watch. same types of step outs at Laguna in the same car as mine. notice how undriveable this car is. It is 4-6 seconds slower a lap and near the same HP, torque and weight on DOTs.
the only real difference is set up. (and I know the differences of those set up values) seems like this is doing the same thing that this porsche in the video is doing, doesnt it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Ow5KVM4I

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, have you ever driven that track?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,710 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
VR, I thought we are going to calm it down a little.

mk
Say what? I asked a simple yes/no question.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You and I both know what you meant, right? Sometimes you can say a lot with less. You have a knack for that, Ill give you that. My retort was independent of having to drive the track. Even if it was driver or track that caused the issues, my view was just a suggestion. Im sure many of us, including the owner could find a way to drive around the issue. However, I dont like a tight car and a very loose car can be unnerving. Something in between is good, and that might just be a swaybar tweek and toe setting to fix.

Did you watch the video? Thoughts for Dennis at laguna.

mk

Say what? I asked a simple yes/no question.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You and I both know what you meant, right?

Did you watch the video? Thoughts for Dennis at laguna.

mk
WRONG.

Video showed me a guy who tends to brake a bit too late and get on the gas a bit too hard in some places, pretty consistently. Plus, IMO Corsas suck.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, settle down cowboy! Lets play nice.

Hey, I agree he is man-handling the car but he likes it that way, but you could put those tires on my car and I could run 4 second faster with one hand and never have the car do ANY of that. (he might be able to too) Trust me when I tell you, I have a few laps there at laguna in that platform to tell. He has done things I dont agree with set up wise, but he likes the feel of a loose car.

trust me on this. I had that exact same car power and set up, sans the corsas, you couldnt get my car to get loose like that unless you have 30 heat cycle hoosiers that were hard as rocks and 4 seconds slower than toyos. (ask me how I know )

anyway, from my perspective, the car was stepping out under power or even early power applied, and the snappiness of the break away, reminded me of the sebring video. Sure, could someone drive around it? sure. Is it the fastest set up for the car? I dont really think so.

rememberr the other WCGT 928 (not mine) video you checked out? also heavily sprung, even with 150 more hp, running lap times of my old engine'ed car. When it was fitted with softer springs different alignment, it stuck like glue and times fell dramatically.

Thanks for checking it out.

mk

WRONG.

Video showed me a guy who tends to brake a bit too late and get on the gas a bit too hard in some places, pretty consistently. Plus, IMO Corsas suck.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hey, settle down cowboy! Lets play nice.

Hey, I agree he is man-handling the car but he likes it that way, but you could put those tires on my car and I could run 4 second faster with one hand and never have the car do ANY of that. (he might be able to too) Trust me when I tell you, I have a few laps there at laguna in that platform to tell. He has done things I dont agree with set up wise, but he likes the feel of a loose car.

trust me on this. I had that exact same car power and set up, sans the corsas, you couldnt get my car to get loose like that unless you have 30 heat cycle hoosiers that were hard as rocks and 4 seconds slower than toyos. (ask me how I know )

anyway, from my perspective, the car was stepping out under power or even early power applied, and the snappiness of the break away, reminded me of the sebring video. Sure, could someone drive around it? sure. Is it the fastest set up for the car? I dont really think so.

rememberr the other WCGT 928 (not mine) video you checked out? also heavily sprung, even with 150 more hp, running lap times of my old engine'ed car. When it was fitted with softer springs different alignment, it stuck like glue and times fell dramatically.

Thanks for checking it out.

mk

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 10-15-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Forget it cowboy Dave, you are hopeless.

Let's see how the car feels when he put some alignment changes .

Dont you have some BMW guys to banter with, or did they ban you and you have nowhere else to go?

Im done here.

Now, get another thread going to talk about when we will have the charity face off race/challenge. I need to plan for my flights.

mk
Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Mark,
we are going to change the rear toe alignment by adding (I think) 1mm of toe in on each side. I am also going to try softening the rear bar when I get back to Sebring next. Another thing that was mentioned was getting back to throttle sooner. I will try that as well. That turn is very bumpy so that too might have something to do with the oversteer. The car will oversteer at other corners as well, its just that those three clips were most dramatic. Also it feels very controllable and its not sudden like you would call "snap oversteer". We will see if I can maintain/increase cornering speeds with the changes made and driving style adjustments.
Looks like you could use some coaching.......just kidding.

From driving Sebring a lot and my experience with cars similar to yours it appears like a couple of guys hit the nail on the head. My first impression from watching the video is the rear bar is too stiff. Watch the video and you see the rear step out under a very light throttle load. The motor is very down in the RPM range and there are some bumps right past the apex that cause the car to skate across them. The front absorbs them nicely with your soft front bar but they upset the rear. The other thing I noticed is you probably do turn in a little bit early for the turn. Not a lot but just enough that it does require more steering input past the apex. Try squaring off the corner a little bit more. Delay the turn in say another 5 ft from what you were doing in the video.

Keep all the guys with the Rolling Chicane Club straight down there next time. I hear their parties are getting out of hand.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a little video that you might want to watch. same types of step outs at Laguna in the same car as mine. notice how undriveable this car is. It is 4-6 seconds slower a lap and near the same HP, torque and weight on DOTs.
the only real difference is set up. (and I know the differences of those set up values) seems like this is doing the same thing that this porsche in the video is doing, doesnt it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Ow5KVM4I

mk
Video sounds good but from looking at the footage I don't see anything similar to what Brinkley is doing in his video.

The video you asked VR to look at is a normal driver's school run group at Laguna. The 928 follows a driver's school safe line and with the speeds/power he is running the car has oversteer on exit. Late turn in, 5 feet off apex because of it, and oversteer on exit.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The similarity is just how fast, and easily the rear steps out on a few turns. certainly not identical, but the feeling I get is that the car is just a little loose due to set up as well. (as was in the video, and I know this car, ive driven it. its very loose). (:53 into the video for example)

The speeds and power is the same as my car (in the video). (in 95% of my videos) You can see how nervous it is. It shouldnt be that nearvous. I think its due to the set up as I know how it differs from mine. The point i was trying to make was it could be setup, as well as the driver being able to do thing to alter his entrance, line and steering throttle input. Same exact things you are saying for brinkley, but you are only addressing rear bar. I'm saying rear bar and possibly rear toe , if it is out of wack.

Hey, did you notice the double clutching on down shifts ?

Mk

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Video sounds good but from looking at the footage I don't see anything similar to what Brinkley is doing in his video.

The video you asked VR to look at is a normal driver's school run group at Laguna. The 928 follows a driver's school safe line and with the speeds/power he is running the car has oversteer on exit. Late turn in, 5 feet off apex because of it, and oversteer on exit.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 10-15-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Bob,

See what I mean?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Bob,

See what I mean?

Quick Reply: Oversteer Fun or a bad handling car?