Sponsored by:

Oversteer Fun or a bad handling car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
JR, I have a question. You state that the front bars should be stiff while the rear bars should be soft. I understood the swaybar adjustments to be as follows, the softer the front the better turn in. The harder the rears the more free/loose the rear will be (overstreer). So knowing that the Boxster understeers I have set up the front to be full soft for max turn in grip. I have set the rear to be full stiff to impart a free back end to help rotate the car at turn in. The video might be proof that this dynamic is working. The car is loose in Turn 5, 10, Tower, 15b, & 16.

I'm running 500 # springs in rear. It might be time to soften the rear one position. Do I have my swaybar adjustment understanding correct?
Yes, but you're at the extreme end of adjustments for both bars and you're experiencing oversteer. You didn't say how your shocks were set, but you're on a bumpy track with a stiff rear bar so my suggestion (for that track Dave) would be to soften the rear and stiffen up the front 1 notch at a time and test it out. You want the tires on the ground not bouncing around loosing grip. I would setup the shocks similarly to allow the tires to stay planted.

I remember you tested different tires and rim sizes recently. What were you running in that video and how fresh were they? Your 17's were 225/275 which I think would contribute to the understeer, while your 18's were bigger maybe 245/305 or something similar. The larger setup should give you better turn-in capabilites and the opportunity to stiffen that front bar without creating mechanical understeer. Again stiffening the front bar gives you more control over the rear wheels.

Personal driving style/technique impacts how a car responds to different bar setups. I agree that a stiff rear bar will help a car rotate more freely though I'm not sure that's the most desirable way to accomplish rotation. There are complications which should be considered such as the smoothness of the track surface. I also believe in braking into the apex which will also accomplish rotation expecially with a good diff like Guard's running 50/80.

I should have clarified that I wasn't suggesting a full reversal of your setup with full stiff up front, etc. Obviously you're on the right track, just too extreme for that particular surface....
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Its not the throttle, it appears he's late unwinding the wheel....
I agree it's really impossible to know without driving the car, but with all that HP the bars should be setup stiff up front, soft rear with reasonably soft springs like maybe 500 front/600 rear to allow the car to transfer weight front to rear....
well my home track and for me he is early apexing the corner then trying to hold the wheel to stay on line for track out and not unwinding thus bring the rear around, my 2 cents, try later apex and get on the gas.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

IMO, the apexes did not look too early nor do I think the OP is not unwinding the steering enough. Listen to his throttle: he is only in the middle portion of getting on the throttle when the back end goes out. As VR and others have said, I think there's too much bar in the rear.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
As VR and others have said, I think there's too much bar in the rear.
So now I'm just "others"? Fine, just fine.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about more wing?

Only half-kidding, those look like lower speed corners.

Are you mostly stock motor and weight?
Boxsters do have different traits than 911s due to mid-motor of course....
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That's what we call the guys that wander around aimlessly at the track....
Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,710 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You catch on quick, homeslice.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hard to tell from just a video but I'd say either change your set up or turn in a little later and get on the gas smoothly...slower in faster out.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's what we call the guys that wander around aimlessly at the track....
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I think taking the turn in 2nd gear, then shortshifting to 3rd before 11 will help. Seems that motor is lugging a little bit. I for sure have the same problem in the same corner if I try to take it in 3rd, but of course my gearing is taller.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

I watched it a few times. It really seems like it might be a set up problem. I dont think those types of turns and the type of power you have, should create those types of oversteer exits. Hard without driving the car, but it doesnt look like your exits and application of gas, along with the speed you are traveling, should give you that much wiggle. It almost seems like you had street tires on the rear. toe out in the rear? too much rear bar as was said? Did you feel it start to give way during the corner, or was it only when you got on the gas? Having just getting off the hoosiers of the same size on a similar performing type car, it would take a lot for me to get my car loose. But, I have a tight car and we are going to loosen it up a bit soon. (rear toe out change). So, i bet rear bar or rear toe in. I dont think the shock settings are doing this. Does it do this at other tracks? too much rear spring?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Mark,
we are going to change the rear toe alignment by adding (I think) 1mm of toe in on each side. I am also going to try softening the rear bar when I get back to Sebring next. Another thing that was mentioned was getting back to throttle sooner. I will try that as well. That turn is very bumpy so that too might have something to do with the oversteer. The car will oversteer at other corners as well, its just that those three clips were most dramatic. Also it feels very controllable and its not sudden like you would call "snap oversteer". We will see if I can maintain/increase cornering speeds with the changes made and driving style adjustments.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Erik,
I know in the past I have downshifted into 2nd, however my second gear red lines at about 63 mph and I'm taking the corner at about 55, so with the stock gears it doesn't really like second unless I slow down to better match the speed with 2nd gear and that seems counter productive.

A young grasshopper once said, if you can take a corner in a higher gear and maintain speed through out do that instead of over slowing to get a lower gear.?.

Don't ask for a source because....well...I don't know
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

sounds like a good plan. Again, in watching it. a race car shouldnt be that nervous on he exit even with early application of the throttle, unless you have TransAm or Turbo power. . again, thats what ive seen with tires that were cooked. with good tires, and a balanced car, you should be able to toss it around and rarely, have that happen like it seemed to happen.

my car could be just the opposite of yours and when I toe my car out a little, it might be somewhere in between where you want to be and were you are now.

It will be interesting to see what you end up with . keep us posted. the bar and a little toe in in the rear should make a big difference.

mk
Originally Posted by Brinkley
Mark,
we are going to change the rear toe alignment by adding (I think) 1mm of toe in on each side. I am also going to try softening the rear bar when I get back to Sebring next. Another thing that was mentioned was getting back to throttle sooner. I will try that as well. That turn is very bumpy so that too might have something to do with the oversteer. The car will oversteer at other corners as well, its just that those three clips were most dramatic. Also it feels very controllable and its not sudden like you would call "snap oversteer". We will see if I can maintain/increase cornering speeds with the changes made and driving style adjustments.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,710 Likes on 881 Posts

Mark, have you ever driven that track?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Oversteer Fun or a bad handling car?