Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How are your patches sewn-on to your driving suit?
Patches are sewn on with nomex thread and are stitched BY HAND just through the OUTER layer
26.47%
Patches are sewn on with nomex and are stitched BY MACHINE through OUTER layer (suit disassembly)
0%
Patches are sewn on with cotton thread and are stitched BY HAND through all layers of the suit
23.53%
Patches are sewn on with cotton thread and are stitched BY MACHINE through ALL layers
29.41%
Patches are sewn on with cotton thread and are stitched BY HAND through THE OUTER layer of the suit
20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

The definitive thread: How are your patches sewn on to your driving suit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always hire a professional tailor...
Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Tom N
Instructor

[QUOTE=Bryan Watts;6699439]When I was racing in series that required patches, I used cotton thread hand sewn though the outer layer (not shown in your list of options). I fail to see how some thin cotton thread burning away is a "safety" problem. If you are in the middle of a fire, the cotton thread holding your patches on is the absolute LEAST of your worries.

No &^%$%$ kidding !!!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
You have a good idea of the true protection. Most GOOD 3 layer suits are rated to the SFI 3.2A/5 or about 10 seconds to a second deg burn. Ten seconds can be a long or a very short time depending on the situation you are in. Suits are al just non burning insulation, more protection more heat resistance.
3.2/5 is 10-19 seconds of protection and underwear is an extra 3-5 from what I've read/been told.

After a friend recently had a big fire in an Sports2000 I'm in the process of switching from single eye balaclavas to the double eye. He had very mild singes on his upper lip, nose and cheeks from the fire.
Originally Posted by M758
How about all the water in cool suit. Does it boil if on fire?
It is something I've always wondered about, along with the "Hats Off" helmet removal device now mandated in GrandAm, etc. We now have a large number of things that we can wear that aren't necessarily fire retardant but the suit we wear has to be. Double standard much?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

Exclamation An industrial manufacturer's perspective on flame resistant garments

In the making of industrial flame-retardant(FR) garments, patches are often applied. The basic recommendation is that patches be preferably made of FR material,threads and sew with FR thread. That's the best situation but also the most expensive. What you want to avoid is the patch burning on the suit and creating a hot spot. I guess, cotton thread is acceptable for patches as long as it doesn't affect the integrity of the suit.

As for undergarments, FR rated are the better choice. If not then avoid anything that would melt or burn. Imagine polyester melting on your skin.

Don't try and save money on your protective gear by not using it. FR garments will reduce burn injuries and even increase you survival rate vs burns. Remember that burn scarrying is permanent. Once scarred it's for life.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I fail to see how some thin cotton thread burning away is a "safety" problem. If you are in the middle of a fire, the cotton thread holding your patches on is the absolute LEAST of your worries.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm just going to have the patches sewn on with cotton threads through all of the layers.

Quick Reply: The definitive thread: How are your patches sewn on to your driving suit?