Why the excessive wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I like to brake a little early (with some trailbraking, lift to rotate and then on the gas after a split second of delay for the rotation) and go through the turn throttle on way before the apex because it's been drilled into my head and it's all about exit speed (single drive Rotax kart racing where you need to be going through a turn at a high enough speed that you don't drop RPMs out of the power band, but don't go too fast as to spin out).
Lift to get it to rotate? Go in hotter, stay on the brakes longer and it WILL rotate. You'll find plenty of time there too.

Sorry for the but I just had to respond to that.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtC
That would depend on the camber. With no camber, it'd just wear the tire evenly, more quickly, with positive camber, the outside, negative, the inside. The toe-in forces the left wheel to turn in a little to the right and the right one a little to the left so both are a little off from straight ahead. When rolling along, the tire is scrubbing against the road rather than just rolling over it. You want a little toe-in in the rear for feel and handling but too much will wear the tires quickly.
I thought the purpose for additional Toe in the rear of a 911 was due to the tires opening up under acceleration?

I think it it more a likely camber issue, toe if all things are equal should wear evenly across the entire tire. My two cents. Also toe in the rear is generally not equal between the two tires if it goes out. It is set even but if you get slip from the OE toe links for example one side may be further out than the other. I have some inside shoulder wear also but I am thinking I have more camber then needed. I also run less camber on the right side then the left as well as different air pressure on left then right.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete
Rassel talked about driving technique, but I'm wondering what kind of driving technique would cause this? Braking?
Originally Posted by 2BWise
It makes sense to me that it is more of how you're setting up the car for your driving style.
+1

Well put. That's what I meant.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
This could be both setup and how you drive the car.

Same problem with all types of tires, makes me think it is perhaps drive technique. (If your setup is not completly scr*wed?).

A good instructor should both be able to feel if something is wrong with your setup and also see if your driving input needs to be altered. I'm sure there are more than one here on RL who can help you.

For fine tuning and sorting things out yourself. A pyrometer and one of those small handy data acquisition boxes are powerful tools. If you're not used to problematic approaches with Data, get a helping hand here too. It's easy to pull wrong conclusions or mask errors with wrong "counter measures".

Hope it works out.
I was thinking the same thing. My car ain't GT3 so the suspension geometry etc. are different but I have -2.8 camber rear and my street tires wear out from inside much more than outside but the on track, the wear is even and when checking with the pyrometer, the temps out - middle - out are almost exactly the same.

Quick Reply: Why the excessive wear?