Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trust you instincts

Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trust you instincts

So I am at Sebring this weekend and my car is OK on Sat but nothing special, then last session I develope noticable vibration and immidiately pull into pits to look for cut tire or anything obvious. Nothing noted so I go to my trailer and inspect the wheels and noticed a set of weights came off (came thru tape) OK no problem so I swap out tires and ready for the next day.

Leaving my pits I notice clunk, clunk, and a few buddies helped me do a visual and did not see anything. It bothered me so one of my buddies support mechanic jacked up my car, took off the wheels and found a loose bolt (Finger tight) on the rear wheel spacer assembly, (not lug bolts) tightened and the car was back on rails.

Always trust your instincts and dont let anything slide. It has served me well in other endeavors and the same holds true for the track. I for sure would not want to have a wheel come off at speed. Thanks Marty
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
DanR
Drifting

good advice
Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

But you missed a golden opportunity to join the 3 wheel club...

I had something similar happen few years ago, but mine was a rotted out A arm support ( fuel tank support area). I put it on the trailer few sessions early on sunday... but spotted it ONLY when I went to use the tie downs..

something just wasn't right.. even though I couldn't find it at the time.

glad you ok!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Always trust your instincts and dont let anything slide. It has served me well in other endeavors and the same holds true for the track.
plus juan....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Great reminder. Every time I get a nagging feeling that something is not right and ignore it something bad happens.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

True enough.
In my 1984 911, coming out of carousel at Summit, I heard some clunking. Kind of went away (wishful thinking?), almost decided to try just 1 more lap.
Decided not to, pulled into pits. Car looked fine; decided to jack the car 'just in case' and found the driver's side strut broken.
NEVER try just 1 more lap.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

glad you got it figured out... would hate to see that car in the wall. That's why it is nice to be in the same car for a while, you learn all its little noises. That way when something seems out of place you can spot it right away even though someone else may say "the car just makes weird noises"
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
glad you got it figured out... would hate to see that car in the wall. That's why it is nice to be in the same car for a while, you learn all its little noises. That way when something seems out of place you can spot it right away even though someone else may say "the car just makes weird noises"
Bingo the primary reason I elected not to get the RSR.....and stay with the mighty demi-cup. Great to see you look forward to seeing your ride
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
So I am at Sebring this weekend and my car is OK on Sat but nothing special, then last session I develope noticable vibration and immidiately pull into pits to look for cut tire or anything obvious. Nothing noted so I go to my trailer and inspect the wheels and noticed a set of weights came off (came thru tape) OK no problem so I swap out tires and ready for the next day.

Leaving my pits I notice clunk, clunk, and a few buddies helped me do a visual and did not see anything. It bothered me so one of my buddies support mechanic jacked up my car, took off the wheels and found a loose bolt (Finger tight) on the rear wheel spacer assembly, (not lug bolts) tightened and the car was back on rails.

Always trust your instincts and dont let anything slide. It has served me well in other endeavors and the same holds true for the track. I for sure would not want to have a wheel come off at speed. Thanks Marty
so OCD isnt such a bad thing!! glad you are ok!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trust you instincts