Fuel issue: Repro Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Fuel issue: Repro Gas Tank?

I may need a new gas tank. Anyone have any experience with this repro from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...34%2D%38%39%29

I've got a call into PParts, no answer yet. This will go into a 1986 911 race car so first is it as safe as the original factory tank? Does it have the factory baffles?

Here's what's happening with the car: At Summit Point only in turns 9 and 10 (both fast right handers) the engine lost power and sputtered. A friend in the tower at t 10 said the engine would cut in and out from apex when I'm full on the gas to track out and once the car was straight it took off with no issues. I could certainly feel the power loss but I couldn't hear it the way he did. It did not happen anywhere else but in t9 and t10 it happened everytime.

Interestingly it did not happen during practice in the morning but it did during qualifying and the race. During qualifying I had 1/4 tank, during the race I had 1/2 a tank. Later that day I added a few gallons to 3/4 of a tank and had no issues. Just to be sure, the next day I ran with a full tank and went thru qualifying and the enduro with zero issues.

The suggestions I've gotten are broken baffle on one side letting fuel slip away from the pick up, bad sender, clogged sock.

Trying to be efficient and not rack up a staggering bill investigating a bunch of leads I thought replacing the tank would be the more efficient way to go and solve all the afore mentioned possibilities. After all at $95 an hour things add up quickly.

I am doing a track day to recreate the situation for the mechanic (he's at the track).
Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If I go out with less than 1/2 a tank I will be starving for fuel in right turns by the end of the session and I know others who have the same problem. I have heard that cleaning/replacing the sock helps but I haven't done it. I just keep it above 1/2 for anything less than a 30 minute session, to the rim for the enduro, and I'm fine. You can hear it happening in turn 7 on the last 2 laps of this video.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Here's what's happening with the car: At Summit Point only in turns 9 and 10 (both fast right handers) the engine lost power and sputtered.
Scott told me to tell you to grow some ***** and it's your puckering up and lifting that is causing all your "problems"!

STREAK!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel issue: Repro Gas Tank?