Sponsored by:

Spun the new R888 on the rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
my shop has mounted RA1, R888, R6, mpsc on oem, CCW, fikse, BBW wheels, all 18" and all on GT3's.
the tires do rotate, the max being 90 deg on the rim. however, i NEVER had vibration, if all the wts are accounted for. the only time i get vibration is if the weights fell off.. the wheel/tire were balanced together. they put high temp tape on the wts.

you might have them chk how true/balanced your wheels are?
Same experiences for me as Mooty, especially with the really sticky R6's. The tires feel a little square for a couple of laps the next morning, then things smooth out. Not worth the trouble to rebalance or to go looking for hairspray. I asked a race team about hairspray - got laughed at.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd;
Which shop mounted the tires? You cam PM me if you care to.

Alan
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
And in low HP cars that brake well... I spin the fronts in one direction, the rears in the other.
+1 I do the same thing with my measly 217 hp 986.

From past experience it helps if you tell the shop that mounts your times to use a minimum amount of lubrication when they mount the tires.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
Slick tires on race cars always move on the rim, but they pick up so much rubber inside the wheel over the course of a race that balance is usually shot anyway. I don't know of too many teams who go through the trouble of seriously countering tire spin.
Grand Am is having a lot of problems with their new spec tires (Pirelli) as they have a very stiff wall. Yes, apparently the answer there is hair spray as well.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daigo
Grand Am is having a lot of problems with their new spec tires (Pirelli) as they have a very stiff wall. Yes, apparently the answer there is hair spray as well.
I was referring to Koni, and we are still using the Hoosiers. It's a unavoidable problem on a race car. Ever see the beadlocks on a drag car?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Told my Tire guy about the hair spray when I picked up the tires today. We just rebalanced the tires. My tire guy is a little paranoid about mounting the tires with hair spray. He is worried about busting the bead. I was thinking I could just have him mount the tire on the rim as normal but before he inflates the tire, we could wipe off the lube, dry the bead, and the give her a shot of hair spray. I turned both rears like 90 degrees and the left front was just off slightly. (this was our conclusion because the tires were way out of balance and the wights were still on) I did mark the sidewalls at the valve stem, and will try it one more time. I am hoping that since they were freshly mounted that this was a contributing factor. Will also run a little more air pressure in the tire, I was running F34 R36 hot and did not like it, will go up a few lbs hot to see what its like.

If none of this works then it sounds like the best approach is to balance the rims and just take what you get with the tire.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Wow, all this crap for passing along the hairspray tip. I won't even begin to tell you what we do with panties!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Wow, all this crap for passing along the hairspray tip. I won't even begin to tell you what we do with panties!
What happens under your Nomex, should stay under your Nomex.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

IME, the lilac scent works the best. Sometimes feminine deodorant spray sticks well, but, of course, it depends on what part of the month that you use it.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I've seen it in use on a couple of race teams with excellent effect.

Sure beats having too much lube on the tire, which a lot of shops tend to do in order to not break the bead.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Try 37front 38 rear....or 38 front hot. Anything over that is slippery and anything below that is mushy to me.

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Told my Tire guy about the hair spray when I picked up the tires today. We just rebalanced the tires. My tire guy is a little paranoid about mounting the tires with hair spray. He is worried about busting the bead. I was thinking I could just have him mount the tire on the rim as normal but before he inflates the tire, we could wipe off the lube, dry the bead, and the give her a shot of hair spray. I turned both rears like 90 degrees and the left front was just off slightly. (this was our conclusion because the tires were way out of balance and the wights were still on) I did mark the sidewalls at the valve stem, and will try it one more time. I am hoping that since they were freshly mounted that this was a contributing factor. Will also run a little more air pressure in the tire, I was running F34 R36 hot and did not like it, will go up a few lbs hot to see what its like.

If none of this works then it sounds like the best approach is to balance the rims and just take what you get with the tire.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default Update on the wheel spin

I have been at the track this weekend and took the re balanced R888's back to the track. this time I marked them to see what was happening. Started spinning the rear rims again. The fronts were fine did not move the rear rims were spinning under acceleration based on the dirction of the tire rotation. I move the left rear more than the right rear. and I could be as much as an inch or two during one run. What I am doing is rotating the rear tires swapping the rear tires around. then I spun then back to balance. So I don't have a balance issue this weekend but have to swap the tires once a day (3 day event). I am going to have them remounted without soap and try the hair spray, but if anyone gets into this problem you can get by for the weekend just by swapping sides, (if its not raining).

So at least in my case the tire rotation was coming from acceleration not braking.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I have been at the track this weekend and took the re balanced R888's back to the track. this time I marked them to see what was happening. Started spinning the rear rims again. The fronts were fine did not move the rear rims were spinning under acceleration based on the dirction of the tire rotation. I move the left rear more than the right rear.
<snip>
So at least in my case the tire rotation was coming from acceleration not braking.
Guess that you just aren't braking hard enough.

It would be interesting (but probably pretty difficult) to find out exactly when they are turning. Out of a low speed corner under a lot of torque or down the straight when centrifugal force has the whole tire expanding slightly.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

I have been using hairsray only for years now. It does 4 things:
1) act as mounting lube
2) drys clean so makes your air pressure more stable w/ nitrogen
3) seals bead imperfections preventing small bead leaks
4) prevents spinning of tire on wheel

If your tire guy will not use a non-tire product for liability reasons ask him to mount your tire with bead sealer. This is like liquid rubber and is slick upon mounting with it. It is just messy and takes longer to dry. But it will do all of the above and is a tire certified product. It is cool stuff I use sometimes with beads that do not seal well. when you break these beads if is at least 25% harder to do than usual so it really sticks.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

The other thing related hairspray "air loss." Hoosier which a lot of us use had crappy quality control. I have had new tires with pieces of bead missing in casting. I hate this hoosier casting flash which I believe is the source of slow air leaks. I corded a tire at the track and had to have the semi-truck guy mount me up some new hoosier r6's. He of course wet mounted like everyone does. My new tires leaked air so about a month later I just dismounted the tires and remounted my way with hairspray and presto no air leaks. It would help if all you guys running hoosiers having similar problems would complain to hoosier and maybe they will clean up their act.

Here is the flash on a new tire they say will have no effect but somehow it leaks unless I use beadsealer or hairspray.

Here is a good bead that they can do. why can't hoosier do this all the time on every tire?

Quick Reply: Spun the new R888 on the rim