Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK so Sebring Corner Workers (edited) no longer puts out fires....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who has done a lot of flagging, I can tell you the priorities. My safety is first, oncoming drivers are second, and third is the driver of the disabled car. It sucks to hear this when you are the guy that has a car in the tire wall or on fire, but this is the way we keep people safe. If a car were on fire at my station, it would burn to the ground before I risked myself and the other drivers on track to try to put out a fire. Cars can be replaced but people can't. Why the fire fighters would not help is a whole other subject that I can't comment on since this is not my field.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My issue is with what actually happened at Sebring....car caught on fire and fire truck with trained firemen in fire suits pull up and......yes this is true....hand the driver a fire extinguisher because the firemen do not want to get sued for any damage to the car.

Seems like when we all pull into the track that a clause could be added to the waiver we sign so that the track firemen could do their job with out getting sued...correct?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

insane! How are you supposed to put out a fire when you'e strapped in and dazed and confused after a hit?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

UMMMM, I was 4 pit spots behind the Burning Lotus and what I saw, (eye witness's namely me can be unreliable), was a corner/pit out worker hand the driver an extinguisher which he promptly used to extinguish the fire. By the time the Sebring fire trucks showed the fire was no longer burning.

Peter
Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
As someone who has done a lot of flagging, I can tell you the priorities. My safety is first, oncoming drivers are second, and third is the driver of the disabled car. It sucks to hear this when you are the guy that has a car in the tire wall or on fire, but this is the way we keep people safe. If a car were on fire at my station, it would burn to the ground before I risked myself and the other drivers on track to try to put out a fire. Cars can be replaced but people can't. Why the fire fighters would not help is a whole other subject that I can't comment on since this is not my field.
I haven't done any flagging for many years, but those are the same priorities I learned in SCCA flagging/corner worker school many moons ago.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

a corner/pit out worker hand the driver an extinguisher which he promptly used to extinguish the fire. By the time the Sebring fire trucks showed the fire was no longer burning.
So this thread is all about nothing then...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Seems so.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Way to net it out. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
UMMMM, I was 4 pit spots behind the Burning Lotus and what I saw, (eye witness's namely me can be unreliable), was a corner/pit out worker hand the driver an extinguisher which he promptly used to extinguish the fire. By the time the Sebring fire trucks showed the fire was no longer burning.

Peter
Shoot Peter. I didn't know you were at this event.. I would have liked to introduce myself.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I thought this had been the case for years. Made for interesting reading though. I know it sucks if it's your car on fire, but it's a DE so you're insured for your property damage. Although in this particular incident if the driver did put leaded fuel in the car causing the fire to be self-inflicted it'll be interesting to see how he fares getting his car repaired/replaced.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I also flagged for many years... (but not in last 10)

It was standard procedures to put out a buring car, in the corner workers school (Fla region anyway). (along w/ cutting a roof, and removing a driver w/ neck injury... )

and I've put out my share of fires, but also handed bottles to drivers, when it was too hot.

plus I've see a lot of workers bathe a car is dry chem, when less could have been used. (oil fires).

One thing that I've alwasy been surpised is... there's only ONE worker at most stations. (AFAIK, SCCA has alwasys requred 2 workers per corner, one handles flags looking down track, and the other is watching his back, looking up track).

money is the only reason I can think of we dont have 2 workers... (scca workers are not typically paid).
With 2 workers, one can still handle flags while the other sees to the driver and car.

Fire truck crew are normallly paid, and wear full bunker gear. & as said, they do still put out fires.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
..........................but it's a DE so you're insured for your property damage. .......................................
I would be very careful about making such a broad assumption and statement.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
It seems pretty simple. Corner workers don't have the training/gear to put out fires. they will do it if you are in danger, but if you are fine then they wait for the actual fire crew.
Sensible, no?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Shoot Peter. I didn't know you were at this event.. I would have liked to introduce myself.
Peter

I wasn't driving. I was helping set up my E46M3 that Catesby Jones is borrowing for the OLOA.

Peter

Quick Reply: OK so Sebring Corner Workers (edited) no longer puts out fires....