Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap fire extinguisher mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very creative, to be honest the bottle is going to do very little in the event of a fire anyway so I say go for it if you are comfortable with the minimum level of safety required! Not for me but as said I appreciate the creativity of the idea!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed...very creative!

In NNJR I believe that an extinguisher is required above the yellow run-group.

I have a simple Stable-energies bracket (thanks to another lister !) which are relatively inexpensive...in the $40 to $50 range....that's my preference.

But your concept is great !
Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

...uhh...it's clever but I think there are a few issues...

You need a quick release strap and a metal bracket to have it pass any kind of tech...the double seatbelt receiver won't cut it, but would probably be an ok mount...you could just mount the standard mount to the strap you have and be ok. You have to be able to reach it easily don't know how easy it is to get to, but in the event of an accident, or a rollover the weight of it could throw it to the back of the seat and out of your reach...anyway clever idea, it might need a few "refinements"...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My region's tech form reads: Fire extinguisher- securely mounted metal-to-metal within reach of driver. I am 6'3" so the back seat hump is way closer than passenger side floor. My B/K set up was not within my reach unless I undid my harnesses? There are no specifics about number of latches required?

BTW, here is another tech item: Seat Belts- Metal-to-metal seat belts securely mounted.

So the real question is: My seat belts that hold me in use webbing and connect metal-to-metal are in compliance yet my within reach quick release device using the same method is not legal?

Please read this before you respond: If you remove spacers in seat mounting points and use correct washers this thing DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT MOVE.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's a sample of ours:

"15.1 Fire Extinguisher
All cars without a fire system should have at least a fire extinguisher securely mounted inside within driver’s reach while normally seated, belts fastened and steering wheel in place. The bracket should be metal and of the quick release type. The mounting hardware should be nuts and bolt and not just sheet metal screws. Fire bottles made of plastic or aerosol-type cans are prohibited."

IMHO if you are going to put in a peice of safety equipment then it should work for you when the chips are down, if it's just to meet the bare minimums (including some of the underseat FE brackets that you can't even get to in an emergency) then in my mind don't bother, the last thing I would want is a peice of equipment that lets you down when you need it the most. As far as the anchorage, if you spin the expensive end into a wall that extingusher will pendulum to the back of the car fast than you could say wholly $hit...I'm not saying its not a clever idea, but it's got a few issues to work out...
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
chrisoutzen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is ours (NER):
Fire Extinguisher
NER requires a 2.5-lb. charge (minimum) class BC or ABC fire extinguisher at Driver Education events. Extinguishers with metal nozzles preferred. They must be held by a metal bracket (no plastic straps or brackets, no sheet metal or self tapping screws allowed); must be secured by at least two bolts and nuts to a metal mounting point (chassis, seat rail, roll cage, etc.); and must be reachable from the driver's seat.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you must use the seat belt points do this.

Bolt to the seat belt points directly. IE take out the seat belt latches and bolt a mount to them. Then put a quick release on that to release the FE from the mount. Simple.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisoutzen
Here is ours (NER):
Fire Extinguisher
NER requires a 2.5-lb. charge (minimum) class BC or ABC fire extinguisher at Driver Education events. Extinguishers with metal nozzles preferred. They must be held by a metal bracket (no plastic straps or brackets, no sheet metal or self tapping screws allowed); must be secured by at least two bolts and nuts to a metal mounting point (chassis, seat rail, roll cage, etc.); and must be reachable from the driver's seat.

Looks like my old B/K $500 set up was not legal because I sure as hell could not reach it from where I was driving even though I could probably replace the rear speakers while driving with my arms?
I think I remember when F/Es were mounted on the driver's seat rail? even with harnesses that would require some yoga!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EXTINGUISHER BRACKET

I manufacture the ideal extinguisher bracket for Porsche 996, 997, and now 991.

Fits into the rear seat belt buckles, and is easy to install and remove instantly.
No holes, no destructive fasteners, "metal to metal contact".

Ideal for PCA track use.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cheap fire extinguisher mount