Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport Cups

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

MPSC are terrible on the street. When cold they are flat spotted for the first 5 miles or so. Also when cool they skitter when pulling out of your garage, they are hard like hockey pucks. As somebody else said, you will have gravel stuck in your tires every day and then deep pits when you pull the gravel out.

Please just buy a separate set of track wheels and use the Toyo or Yokohama track tires that everybody else uses and buy something suitable for the road to drive daily. The old Potenza S-02 are a good tire for a street Porsche. BTW, R compound tires may just make you feel like a hero on the track when your are just starting out and that false confidence will come back to bite you hard when make a mistake and surpass the high cornering grip that the R tires provide. This is a common mistake, I made it myself and totaled and expensive car at Watkins Glen.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You are correct. They make you feel like a hero on the track, but they do the exact opposite on the street. On a cold day in a panic stop you have NO BRAKES! You will slide right into that truck.

I find the Toyo T1-R is a great street tire. It's basically a copy of the old Bridgestone S-02/3. And it's a bit less expensive.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I used MPSCs on my 993 for both the street & track for well over a year. As Bull mentioned, I believe you will go through your heat cycles before the actual wear of the tire happens.

Another thing to consider is that these tires are not that much fun to drive on cold days. I almost lost it in an intersection because the tires weren't warm!!

Other than that, I was surprised how long they lasted.

Btw - they are fantastic on the track!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that the R888 seems to be the best R compound to drive on the street. The fact that it is a bit less exp than a michelin is a bonus

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport Cups