Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension (Moton Clubsport vs Moton Motorsport)

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension (Moton Clubsport vs Moton Motorsport)

What is the advantage of the 2-way motor sport suspension over the Moton club sport if any?

I'm not considering the 2 -way, but if they are that much better than the CS then I'll go 3-way. I have no clue what the difference is.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

IIRC the Motorsport shocks are more durable and have a finer gradation in the settings (15 vs 7). Having had a car with Moton 3 ways, and being able to adjust them to dial in the car to the track, I wouldn't want anything else. The 3 way shock gives you high speed compression and rebouind settings, and low speed compression. The "speed" refers to the movement of the shock rod.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the CS setup and I'm very pleased. I have more adjustability than I really need. I guess if your an extremely advanced racer having the limitless adjustment capability might be appealing.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

The clubsports are 2-way adjustable. The motorsports are 3+ way adjustable. As Larry indicated, the motorsports have twice the gradation, which is enormously more when considering 3 instead of 2 ways adjustability. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Those first two responses summarize the conflict in my mind.

I love the idea of the adjustability, but I will be racing by 2010 and not in the same car, though I will occasionally track it still. Chewing on if I'd really get the use out of a 3-way. If it's REALLY worth it, then I'm willing, but I always like to do more with less.

BTW I'm moving up from entry level coilovers (JIC) and I actually really liked them, they are just horrible when you want to use any curbs. I have two curbs in my mind already that expose them heavily.

If the difference in improvement is greater from JIC to Clubsport than Clubsport to Motorsport, then I go Clubsport, and vice versa.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

From JIC to Clubsport you will love the difference, then going from Clubsport to Motorsport you will love the difference even more, provided you have the proper time to properly set up the 15way 3 adjusts.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

How often do you have to set it up? I will be frequenting 4-5 tracks ( Barber, RA, CMP and VIR) Surely one size doesn't fit all. I need something that's low maintenance, I'm not the arrive and drive type, I sometimes decide the day before if I'm going (based on weather).
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
How often do you have to set it up? I will be frequenting 4-5 tracks ( Barber, RA, CMP and VIR) Surely one size doesn't fit all. I need something that's low maintenance, I'm not the arrive and drive type, I sometimes decide the day before if I'm going (based on weather).
THAT is the purpose of adjustable shocks. I changed mine for just about every track. Sometimes it was subtle ( a click or two on maybe one way) or sometimes it was pretty drastic. All depends on the roughness and elevation changes of the track. I also kept a log book so that once I developed settings for each track, I could "pre-set" the car for the next time.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone got any motorsport moton they dont want - PM me?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
THAT is the purpose of adjustable shocks. I changed mine for just about every track. Sometimes it was subtle ( a click or two on maybe one way) or sometimes it was pretty drastic. All depends on the roughness and elevation changes of the track. I also kept a log book so that once I developed settings for each track, I could "pre-set" the car for the next time.
+1

Dez, email me at the email address I gave you. I went thru this 2 years ago.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Clubsport dampers have a slightly different construction than the comparable 2 way motorsports version. Some parts are steel rather than aluminum so the unsprung weight is more. The dampers function the same as the motorsports version and parts are interchangable. They also have the same range of adjustablity, just not the level of refinement (15 clicks vs 7 as mentioned above). I think that at the club level, the clubsport dampers are a good choice for someone just getting into adjustable suspension and learning how it works. They are about 2/3rd the price of the motorsport 2 way and about 1/2 the price of the motorsport 3 way. More importantly than the difference between the two level of dampers is the spring package (tender & main) choice for your driving skill and your application.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Thanks for the help guys, I'm leaning towards the Clubsports right now. If they don't do the trick then I'll move on up to the 3 way, but no way will I go for the 2-way motorsports. I think if I'm going to spend that kind of money, may as well get the 3 ways and have the high and low speed bump adjustments.

I also agree that finding the right spring rates is going to be important. My JIC had some weak ones (480 and 640 or something like that) and my car is almost 3500 lbs with me (225) in it, so you can guess how much pitch and roll I was getting, even on full stiff. I want a spring that can be driven on the street (not needing to be comfy), but will not compromise on the track. I'm thinking ~ 700 front ~1000 rear.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Thanks for the help guys, I'm leaning towards the Clubsports right now. If they don't do the trick then I'll move on up to the 3 way, but no way will I go for the 2-way motorsports. I think if I'm going to spend that kind of money, may as well get the 3 ways and have the high and low speed bump adjustments.

I also agree that finding the right spring rates is going to be important. My JIC had some weak ones (480 and 640 or something like that) and my car is almost 3500 lbs with me (225) in it, so you can guess how much pitch and roll I was getting, even on full stiff. I want a spring that can be driven on the street (not needing to be comfy), but will not compromise on the track. I'm thinking ~ 700 front ~1000 rear.
As my latest email to you indicated, I agree with this approach. Also, realize that, on full soft, Motons will give you a surprisingly cushy ride on the street, even with super duty springs. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have the Moton Clubsports and think they are just fine for my level of driving, as well as, more importantly my set-up "expertise". It's hard enough to figure out how to set-up double adjustables (had to hire Chris Cervelli to get me fully dialed-in), despite the fact that I am someone who takes notes down detailed notes at every track day. I think triples would be like adding a fourth dimension to the Rubik's cube and would have been complete overkill for me. Besides, the price was much friendlier than the triple adjustable motorsports.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
wanna911
Race Car

With that said, I understand bump adjustments for the most part, but what about rebound, when do you want higher rebound vs lower? And which one does what exactly?

I will be doing a lot of the adjusting so scenarios would be good to know. For example a bumpy high speed track like Sebring, or a baby butt smooth one like Barber, or one with some big curbs. I know there will be specifics, but I'm talking general rules of thumb of where to start.

Of course if it's going to turn out like hp vs torque then nevermind. LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension (Moton Clubsport vs Moton Motorsport)