Sponsored by:

Summit Point Racetrack

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
BSR is usually doing training of operatives from one three letter Gov't Agency or another when we are there. When on the SP track, you can often see them in big, old Impalas over on the Jefferson Circuit. when on the Shenandoah Course, it is a bit distracting to be in a turn as a group opens up on the nearby outdoor firing range.

The gun range is nothing. I did a Friday/Saturday event. The were launching off fireworks on the ground to simulate IEDs I suppose. I found this out when going through Turn 10. I hated it when I could here the PA calling the next run group when going through 10, faux IEDs now top that list.

Other fun things are when they do the SCCA training and light a smoke tire fire...last time they did it, it was behind the T10 bleachers. Thick smoke blew through the corner and down the front straight. Hey, why practice? They could have helped out in real carnage.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
The gun range is nothing. I did a Friday/Saturday event. The were launching off fireworks on the ground to simulate IEDs I suppose. I found this out when going through Turn 10. I hated it when I could here the PA calling the next run group when going through 10, faux IEDs now top that list.

Other fun things are when they do the SCCA training and light a smoke tire fire...last time they did it, it was behind the T10 bleachers. Thick smoke blew through the corner and down the front straight. Hey, why practice? They could have helped out in real carnage.
Been there for both of those activities also. I see it as a true test of wheather or not you are focused and concentrating on your driving or not.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bull
Been there for both of those activities also. I see it as a true test of wheather or not you are focused and concentrating on your driving or not.

Yeah, that was the Shen event last spring. I think you were instructing my brother in that black E-class Benz.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Yup, IED stuff for DSS guys & contractors.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm afraid you might be confusing issues. I thinks it is really just to keep the "illegals" out, or at least off of the racing surface.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I heard third-hand that the BSR guys (for whom I occasionally instruct) were going to put up some wildlife fencing with a DHS grant, but am not sure if this actually is true.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
NJcroc
Racer

I also really enjoyed the tire fire in turn 10 last year, I guess the simulation got a bit out of control and wouldnt go out for a while. You could drive around and simulate days of thunder

Just drive through it cole
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
I'm afraid you might be confusing issues. I thinks it is really just to keep the "illegals" out, or at least off of the racing surface.
LOL !
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, that was the Shen event last spring. I think you were instructing my brother in that black E-class Benz.
Yep, that was the event. Your brother drove that Benz very well!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The 12 hour race this year will be 9 AM to 9 PM, so no night driving. It's a cost saving effort. You'll be able to see the wildlife, and perhaps avoid.

Chris

What's your source for this? I crewed for thew winning ITS team and was talking to the "team owner" today who hadn't heard of it. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

There have been a few e-mails to SSM drivers about the 12 Hour race, but you can also read about it here: http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/u...ic/7/1437.html
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
There have been a few e-mails to SSM drivers about the 12 Hour race, but you can also read about it here: http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/u...ic/7/1437.html

Thanks for the link. Night racing was fun. I got to play with the camera when the car was out:

Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Hey, I can top that one. We were at Shenandoah a couple of years back and they blew up a car across the way. The hood fell in the middle of the back straight!!

Fortunately, the put out a yellow, then black flag.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

I've got video somewhere of the T10 tire/fire smoke. IIRC it was raining ice pellets at the same time.

I'll try to find it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think Geoffrey is just upset because of his adversity to his carbon fiber (and lexan) smelling like deer ****... As for exaggerations, I personally witnessed two deer being whacked (Geoffrey and Dwayne) and one woodchuck in T5 that should have his name in lights on Broadway for his skill in crossing and re-crossing that one corner..
No stone throwing Gary. Don't you have crazy monkeys gettin all shot up where you live?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Turn 10 completely obscured by tire smoke from a training exercise on the track next door.

http://www.vimeo.com/3262715

Not to mention the front straight being covered in ice pellets.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Racetrack