Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 in DE 48hours Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm sure all the advice is good and will help. But if you hae never spun, then you are no where near your limit and have a lot more speed available just by using the gas pedal.
The advice and traqmate helps. No doubt the car has many seconds in it and I can go faster, even insured the car in case a ball it up, so it is not that I am careful with the car, it is just being chicken and have a bit too much self preservation.

And I do never give up, always try to correct till the end, see the last few secs of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgbgGuFfsA and I do sometimes prefer to drive off the track to the point of the least resistence instead of trying to fix something that I can't :-)

Maybe this had something to do with it (My other car) They use it at NASA at the beginners student class room about taking care of your brakes! www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPyiE51EZgI Scroll to 1:35 the brakes were still very strong, next corner nothing...

The GT3 also has sometimes for no appearant reason less brakes, like in turn 4, not even the hard braking points, weird..... Yes, I know another excuse hehe..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

I am a believer that a spin is a mistake, not a test of the limits.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR, I certainly would never suggest to go out and find the limit by spinning. But to your point, a spin is a mistake and if you are never making a mistake then you might as well be on the highway.

If you are learning and growing, then you make mistakes, whether it is driving or anything else in life, so a spin or two can be an indication you are progressing. I emphesise the word 'can', and did not use the word 'does'.

My original observation was just that it is interesting that an instructor, with a a GT3, at a track like that has never spun, but wants to go faster.

As far as the brake faliure video, I have had those too, and they can give you pause for some time. But it was a mechanical faluire that could happen at any speed. Heck at 25mph it could have totaled the car if you hit something.

Brakes are a good reason to switch from a ford to a pcar though!

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
VR, I certainly would never suggest to go out and find the limit by spinning. Just watch me, I spin alot, do as I say not as I do

Fixed that for ya!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
VR, I certainly would never suggest to go out and find the limit by spinning. But to your point, a spin is a mistake and if you are never making a mistake then you might as well be on the highway.

If you are learning and growing, then you make mistakes, whether it is driving or anything else in life, so a spin or two can be an indication you are progressing. I emphesise the word 'can', and did not use the word 'does'.

My original observation was just that it is interesting that an instructor, with a a GT3, at a track like that has never spun, but wants to go faster.

As far as the brake faliure video, I have had those too, and they can give you pause for some time. But it was a mechanical faluire that could happen at any speed. Heck at 25mph it could have totaled the car if you hit something.

Good luck!

's all good, bro. Many folks can get closer & closer to the limit, and train themselves to sense ever-more-minute slip angles, w/o ever stepping over the line. No worries!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I want to go faster carefully, I guess, the easiest way is to listen to the more talented to see where I go wrong to find a few seconds by correcting the line etc.

There are many reasons to go from a '01 Mustang GT to a 997 GT3, but I don't have that much time today.

Being an DE instructor does not mean you have talent, or can drive fast
I know several very good instructors that get passed left and right, but are great at teaching how to be safe while having fun on an open track and can teach the beginners and less advanced the "school line"
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The orange mist in my eyes is good for at least 1 sec.

Now that's funny!!

Quick Reply: GT3 in DE 48hours Traqmate