Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque or HP on the road course????? Which is better?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techno99
VR,

Simple question: if you had a car with a flat torque curve from 2000-5000 RPM, would you chose a gear closer to 2000 RPM or 5000 RPM for maximum accelaration?
That is a whole new thread.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Depends.
OK. I'll be more specific, you're going 60 MPH and you want to accelerate to 70MPH as fast as possible. If your car had a flat torque curve from 2000 RPM to 5000 RPM would you pick a gear near 2000 RPM or 5000 RPM?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Answer the previous posters question.

we are not agreeing to disagree.

If off a turn, both identical cars with identical drivers, tires, and identical engine position have 300rwhp, one has 400ft-lbs of engine torque and the other has 250ftlbs of torque Let me say it again, off this particular turn, both cars are at the same HP level. they might accelerate down the straight to a max 400rwhp.

who has more torque off the turn VR?????

Answer, they both would have exactly the same rear wheel torque as measured through the gear box and at the CV joints.

If you doubt this in ANY way, show me some math that proves this wrong.
Trust me, you wont be able to.
Want me to go through the math with you ???????

engine torque A x gear ratio for same speed = rear wheel torque at CV joints
engien torque B x gear ratio for same speed= rear wheel torque at CV joints

Its REAL simple math at this point. for the same HP , if the torque is lower, the rpms will be higher by the same percentage. if the rpms are higher by the same percentage, the gear ratio will be greater by the same percentage multipliying the torque in the end to be equal! equal equal equal.

why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Mk

The assumption here is that gearing is appropriate for each powertrain.

Mark, the exact opposite is true here, especially on tracks like MSR Cresson. So again, we're going to have to agree to disagree. And I assure you, the vehicle producing more torque when I get on the gas in a corner WILL get out of the corner faster, all other things being equal. If you wish to keep contradicting that, go ahead.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Answer the previous posters question.

we are not agreeing to disagree.

If off a turn, both identical cars with identical drivers, tires, and identical engine position have 300rwhp, one has 400ft-lbs of engine torque and the other has 250ftlbs of torque Let me say it again, off this particular turn, both cars are at the same HP level. they might accelerate down the straight to a max 400rwhp.

who has more torque off the turn VR?????

Answer, they both would have exactly the same rear wheel torque as measured through the gear box and at the CV joints.

If you doubt this in ANY way, show me some math that proves this wrong.
Trust me, you wont be able to.
Want me to go through the math with you ???????

engine torque A x gear ratio for same speed = rear wheel torque at CV joints
engien torque B x gear ratio for same speed= rear wheel torque at CV joints

Its REAL simple math at this point. for the same HP , if the torque is lower, the rpms will be higher by the same percentage. if the rpms are higher by the same percentage, the gear ratio will be greater by the same percentage multipliying the torque in the end to be equal! equal equal equal.

why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Mk

The assumption here is that gearing is appropriate for each powertrain.

Mark, the exact opposite is true here, especially on tracks like MSR Cresson. So again, we're going to have to agree to disagree. And I assure you, the vehicle producing more torque when I get on the gas in a corner WILL get out of the corner faster, all other things being equal. If you wish to keep contradicting that, go ahead.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,399 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by techno99
OK. I'll be more specific, you're going 60 MPH and you want to accelerate to 70MPH as fast as possible. If your car had a flat torque curve from 2000 RPM to 5000 RPM would you pick a gear near 2000 RPM or 5000 RPM?
Depends on a lot of things: redline? HP peak? what RPM that I was already at? and on and on

Mark, you are (a) repeating yourself, and (b) taking this a bit personally. relax.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
If thats the case, well, see diesel Audi example.
there you go!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Answer the question!

Im not taking things personally, you are making incorrect statements with no basis and posting them as truths. if you answer this question of the previous post, i think he might enlighten you as I have not been able to do.

Remember one thing

acceleration= power/(mass x velocity) This is Law. not something I made up!

mk

Depends on a lot of things: redline? HP peak? what RPM that I was already at? and on and on

Mark, you are (a) repeating yourself, and (b) taking this a bit personally. relax.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Talk torque, buy horse power !
Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Opps Looks like I got in the middle of something. Mediation anyone ?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Answer the question!

Im not taking things personally, you are making incorrect statements with no basis and posting them as truths.

mk
LOL that's an ironic laugh. FYI, I answered it, Mark. Calm down.
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

You missed the point, respectfully. Two cars with 400 hp, same weight same handling, give me the one with the higher torque any day for road course use. Which is exactly what the OP asked.
I think you missed the point, higher torque does not mean it's faster. Here's an overly simplistic sample. 2 identical cars, both with 400hp engines. Both have a perfectly linear hp 'curve'(actually its not a curve) with the max hp being made at its redline. One redlines at 4500rpm and makes 500 ft lbs of torque, the other redlines at 9000rpm and makes 250 ft lbs of torque. Now Dave, which one is faster?

As a side note-I see no point in comparing an S2000 vs an e36(or anything to anything else for that matter). They're totally different cars with too many variables to say X is faster because of its motor.
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thats the case for all examples we are discussing. all gear boxes would have redlines at the same speed and appropriate gearing to do this. we can get tricky later when we start looking at close ratio gear boxes and the reasons for them.

carrry on!

mk

Originally Posted by onefastviking
If thats the case, well, see diesel Audi example.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I think you missed the point, higher torque does not mean it's faster. Here's an overly simplistic sample. 2 identical cars, both with 400hp engines. Both have a perfectly linear hp 'curve'(actually its not a curve) with the max hp being made at its redline. One redlines at 4500rpm and makes 500 ft lbs of torque, the other redlines at 9000rpm and makes 250 ft lbs of torque. Now Dave, which one is faster?

As a side note-I see no point in comparing an S2000 vs an e36(or anything to anything else for that matter). They're totally different cars with too many variables to say X is faster because of its motor.
Greg, you sure are sounding shrill. relax.

I never said it was faster. I said it gets out of corners better, which is what you want on a road course, especially a technical one.

As for your example, who knows? Define "faster", Greg.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Actually it doesn't, you need no more information than he's given. If you don't understand this then you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Greg, you sure are sounding shrill. relax.

I never said it was faster. I said it gets out of corners better, which is what you want on a road course, especially a technical one.

As for your example, who knows? Define "faster", Greg.
Ok, replace 'which one is faster' with 'which one gets out of the corners better'? 500ft lb car or 250 ft lb car?

PS-I don't mean to sound shrill, I was just making it clear for you to answer it, not mark, etc...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque or HP on the road course????? Which is better?