Which chin spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Which chin spoiler?

I am looking at possibly buying a new chin spoiler for my 86 911 E stock car (see avatar).

Here are my questions:

Which one is the best for balancing the front vs. the rear tail? I see some at GT Racing and am not sure which one works the best. Don't want too much on the from but would really appreciate being able to turn in at the bustop at WG They look to be more rounded thereby not providing as much DF as the factory one with the lip on the bottom.

Another requirement is ducts for brake cooling.

Second question: It appears that the rules for PCA stock classes allow bumpers and spoilers to change unless I'm reading that wrong.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I am looking at possibly buying a new chin spoiler for my 86 911 E stock car (see avatar).

Here are my questions:

Which one is the best for balancing the front vs. the rear tail? I see some at GT Racing and am not sure which one works the best. Don't want too much on the from but would really appreciate being able to turn in at the bustop at WG They look to be more rounded thereby not providing as much DF as the factory one with the lip on the bottom.

Another requirement is ducts for brake cooling.

Second question: It appears that the rules for PCA stock classes allow bumpers and spoilers to change unless I'm reading that wrong.
Get your self fg iroc front and rear bumpers and call it a day. With and 86 911 and hoosiers, you should not worry about not being able to turn in at the bus stop.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Get your self fg iroc front and rear bumpers and call it a day. With and 86 911 and hoosiers, you should not worry about not being able to turn in at the bus stop.

Good luck.
You have no idea how fast I am

The iroc says it goes to '73. Can I still use it?

Edit: I found the right IROC, thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

s
Fair enough.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:30 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will be fast if you cant turn into the bus stop and go straight through it.......... just not sure that is allowed
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the '74 RS Bumper from Getty Design. See my avatar. This one is better than the IROC IMO because of the built in splitter.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 AM
savowood
Advanced

He's not that fast. The only reason he's asking here is if he were to ask on his "home" BBS, they'd rip him a new one. We keep telling him to learn to drive instead of trying to buy lap times.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savowood
He's not that fast. The only reason he's asking here is if he were to ask on his "home" BBS, they'd rip him a new one. We keep telling him to learn to drive instead of trying to buy lap times.
Oh Snap!

This from the guy who wedged a 3.4 into his Boxster!?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Get the '74 RS Bumper from Getty Design. See my avatar. This one is better than the IROC IMO because of the built in splitter.
Thanks. The GT product requires an additional $200 for the splitter.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
savowood
Advanced

Oh Snap!

This from the guy who wedged a 3.4 into his Boxster!?
Nice!

At least I was already pulling a 1:31 in a stock base Boxster at SPR. Now I'm down to 1:26 and dropping. I've resisted the HoHos until I can master the motor's extra power. Once that happens...

Come back to karting and learn how to go fast in that. That will develop your smoothness and control. Then you can worry about vehicle mods. All kidding aside, you're fairly fast, but you need to work on technique. I've seen things in the videos you've posted where I thought if I had you in the car for a day, I could pull a second off your times. Come to FATT, ride with me in the instructor session, and I'll coach you in the student sessions. You should be able to be in group 2I given you have a racing license. If not, I'll vouch for your ability. But, I'd really like to get you going a lot faster than you already are.

-Michael
Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Nice!

At least I was already pulling a 1:31 in a stock base Boxster at SPR. Now I'm down to 1:26 and dropping. I've resisted the HoHos until I can master the motor's extra power. Once that happens...

Come back to karting and learn how to go fast in that. That will develop your smoothness and control. Then you can worry about vehicle mods. All kidding aside, you're fairly fast, but you need to work on technique. I've seen things in the videos you've posted where I thought if I had you in the car for a day, I could pull a second off your times. Come to FATT, ride with me in the instructor session, and I'll coach you in the student sessions. You should be able to be in group 2I given you have a racing license. If not, I'll vouch for your ability. But, I'd really like to get you going a lot faster than you already are.

-Michael
I may take you up on that when I get my act together.

The first thing I need to do is stop driving the Hoos like the Toyos. I'm creeping upto the hoos capabilities slowly. Pretty much everywhere I can brake later and turn in faster but I'm not taking advantage of that yet. Little bit by little bit.

Don't forget to factor the new pavement in your 5 seconds decrease in laptime
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice!

At least I was already pulling a 1:31 in a stock base Boxster at SPR. Now I'm down to 1:26 and dropping.

-Michael
Streak,

Weren't you doing 131's in your non "S" chickster before you bought a real Porsche ? And I'm not sure I'd be taking advice from someone who doesn't race...

You need to be careful with weight in PCA. As I recall you're pretty close the way the car is now. ( then again anything to make your different than mine would be a plus )
Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 AM
savowood
Advanced

Originally Posted by good hands
Streak,

Weren't you doing 131's in your non "S" chickster before you bought a real Porsche ? And I'm not sure I'd be taking advice from someone who doesn't race...
Full court press from S****...but I can handle it.

To be fair, I probably have more miles racing on a race course than the two of you combined, including your DE time. I started racing when I was 7 (I'll be 41 in less than a month), and raced in at least half a dozen countries on three continents.

Not many people are able to get a non-S down to 1:31 without R-compounds. I did it with PS2s. I scared the crap out of the guy riding with me, and another instructor, Gerry (the dentist with the SM and the M3), was chasing me and was surprised he couldn't keep up with me.

As I recall, you did well with your day at FATT. Chris said he was able to fix a few things in your technique, and you were getting faster, although the traffic made it difficult to get you consistent. There were a few people in the group reluctant to let you pass. Apparently they knew your reputation.

-Michael
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
savowood
Advanced

Don't forget to factor the new pavement in your 5 seconds decrease in laptime
I was one of the few who went slower with the new pavement. I went from 1:29 (on Toyos) back to 1:30. I could really make the most of the concrete patches before. Working with the changed slip angle after they took out the concrete and repaved made it frustrating.

Then came the upgrades, and I had a lot to work with. Between more power, suspension, and track changes, I finally started figuring things out and got 5 seconds back. Too many rainy days on SPR also contributed to the delay.

Basically, I got my groove back by going back to the basics and worked my technique. We'll get yours in shape and you should be able to get your little red monster around faster than I can get the Boxsera around.

-Michael
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a bumper/splitter with a removable splitter if you can. Purchase splitters in bulk racer packs. Don't bolt them tight to the bumper, You want the spliter to come off when it hits something. Not if, when. If you never scrape the splitter it is too high.

Quick Reply: Which chin spoiler?