Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   If anyone was wondering where Ray Hall of Autronic went... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/479112-if-anyone-was-wondering-where-ray-hall-of-autronic-went.html)

BC 01-27-2009 02:50 PM

If anyone was wondering where Ray Hall of Autronic went...

He is now the face behind the VIPEC ECUs. Which is a reboxed Link G4 extreme it looks like.

He is now back to supporting ECUs, just not autronic it seems.

I don't have full info, so anyone can chime in and correct me:

http://www.vi-pec.com/forum/viewforu...509c9145e8c134

BC 01-27-2009 05:53 PM

Nope. No one was wondering.

Geoffrey 01-27-2009 06:05 PM

My understanding is that Ray Hall had enough of Autronics selling direct to his dealer's competitors in the markets he served. Since he as the distributor, he also provided the support, and that presented problems for Ray. In addition, the Autronic products are all old technology, limited in function, slow to release new software functions, later software that is buggy, and that caused him a lot of time spent on technical support.

Jason Judd 01-28-2009 11:00 AM

"In addition, the Autronic products are all old technology, limited in function, slow to release new software functions, later software that is buggy..."

Hmm,

I haven't had any problems with mine...except for a $200 sensor that went bad after 2 years. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

A.Wayne 01-28-2009 11:33 AM

Yes ...................

Geoffrey 01-28-2009 11:53 AM

Jason, it isn't that hard to run an engine, you can even find the instructions and hardware pieces on the Internet...that doesn't mean that it is a) good, b) reliable, or c) competitive. I think there was a time when engines used carburators and distributors...

As I told your shop at the time they asked me, I would never, ever, ever use an Autronic component in any engine I cared about.

DWalker 01-28-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Geoffrey (Post 6223942)
My understanding is that Ray Hall had enough of Autronics selling direct to his dealer's competitors in the markets he served. Since he as the distributor, he also provided the support, and that presented problems for Ray. In addition, the Autronic products are all old technology, limited in function, slow to release new software functions, later software that is buggy, and that caused him a lot of time spent on technical support.

Autronic has a loooong track record of doing exactly that- they set up a "US Rep" and assure them that they will be the go-to guys for anyone interested in purchasing or becoming a dealer, much like MOTEC USA does. However, unlike MOTEC USA, who do not have to compete with the home office for US sales, Autronic will sell to pretty much anyone with a checkbook. This has once again caused thier dealer network collapse and make the units and support hard to come by. This is pretty much exactly what happened the last time, when Jason Seibels in Texas was thier "US Rep".

Originally Posted by Geoffrey (Post 6226423)
As I told your shop at the time they asked me, I would never, ever, ever use an Autronic component in any engine I cared about.

+1 again- A LOT of people have been sold on the idea that Autronic is pro level, largely due to Ben Straders ringing endorsement in his EFI University classes. This has caused these newly educated tuners to hold the Autronic in the highest regard. The problem with this is that it simply isnt pro or competition level equipment at all. Ask around and you will quickly find that it is simply unreliable at best. The SM2 especially would just stop working, usually due to an EEPROM failure that few could fix in the feild. The SM4 supposedly fixed the problem, but there have been issues there as well. If you cant rely on the ECU to always start and do its job, then there is no point in putting into a car you want to run on a regular basis.

**** now I know what some are thinking- I only use the car for occasional street or track use and so if the ecu fails then I have time to send it in and have it repaired. Why yes, thats true. Unless of course you happen to have towed from say, Reno to Denver for an event, run a single practice session, then the car decides to not start and the ECU to not connect to your laptop. Then, its a problem. A big problem only solved by turning around, driving home, and shipping it out Monday morning, and hoping it comes back soon.

BC 01-28-2009 05:05 PM

Don Walker. Long time no talk.

Still looking at ECU's you can see. I have learned alot since you and I spoke back in 2002-2003.

The VIPEC is a rebadged Link G4 extreme, but Ray Hall seems to be shaping the updated software of the VIPEC, and seems to be branching away.

Unless, that is, all of the improvements of the VIPEC can be transfered to the Link G4 extreme.

I know a gentleman who is very very happy with the SM4, but he is "running out of wires"

BC 01-28-2009 05:09 PM

What autronic seems to do very well is the injector controls. But that may have alot to do with the thought and attention originally put into the dead times and battery compensation tables.

However, even some of the newer systems are still not offering Load and RPM based trims for the individual injectors. The autronic does this. But now the Link G4/VIPEC does as well, IIRC.

Geoffrey 01-28-2009 05:13 PM

Just buy a MoTeC and don't look back. Every ECU manufacturer compares themselves to MoTeC...That must tell you something.

Actually Autronic does a poor job at injector control. You cannot manually input the injector battery compensation which is necessary to ensure the compensations are calculated correctly. Also, the charge air temp calculation creates problems with the engine running consistent air fuel ratios. Autronic is just old technology with poorly written software.

BC 01-29-2009 12:58 PM

Hi Geoffrey, thanks for responding.

Dead times and battery compensation - sometimes there are set values in a drop down, and sometimes you can look them up and manually enter. You are saying Autronic does neither?

With the abilities of the Link G4/Vipec and the fact that I have a local support network, as well as online, the 2k for these units is much more value for than the 5-7k I would seem to have to spend on a motec to get 8x8 sequential (8cyl) plus boost control, traction control, launch, dual fan control, fuel pump, etc. Quicktune (only fuel obviously), and closed loop control of 02.