Sponsored by:

OT: Road America Lodging

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Road America Lodging

I'll be going to Road America for a Skippy class in June, and wanted to get some recommendations on hotels/lodging. I'd really like to stay somewhere nice. I'd also be grateful for any restaurant and bar recommendations that you may have. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

Try the Osthoff. It is a resort on the lake and has nice amenities including a spa, 2 pools, beach. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. When I bring the family they have lots to do while I am at the track. The Victorian Village has upgraded to almost match the Osthoff rooms but does not have the amenities, however they have an outdoor tiki-bar. Book early as summer weekends fill early especially when RA has vintage racing or other major events. Siebkens has sbuilt new rooms but I have not stayed there yet. They look to be nice though.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

If you want really nice, try the American Club inn Kohler- one of the best in Wisconsin... not cheap, but where else can you check in right behind Roger Penske???? Great restaurants there as well!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The American Club is nice but more of a golf place. I'd second Osthoff's. It's a very nice hotel on a beautiful lake 5 minutes from the track and 1 block from Siebkens, the most famous bar in racing. In general the regular hotel rooms are nicer than the condos and make sure to ask for a lake view.

For dinner the Lake Street Cafe is pretty good and is just down the street from the hotel and Siebkens. There is another resteraunt next to Lake Street that gets mixed reviews but we had a great meal there last summer.

Have fun. The way track towns go, Elkhart Lake is among the best.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
dhuberty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Lake Street Cafe as Jim mentioned above. Very good food.

You may want to look into staying at the Siebkens condos which are very nice and brand new, but they are on the expensive side. We stayed there during the PCA Labor Day race last year.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd stay in Elkhart for a Skippy weekend.

It's nice to see the town when it's not overrun with racefans. You can walk in and get a seat at Lake St. without any problem. The depot has good breakfast pastries in the morning, the coffee leaves a bit to be desired.

I always stayed at teh old Siebkens because I could get a room close to the bar so they baby monitor would reach and the wife and I could have dinner, after he went to bed, in the bar.

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 01-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I'll be going to Road America for a Skippy class in June
Hey Phil, you have been taking lots of Skippy classes.......when are you going to make the jump?........
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

I always stayed at teh old Siebkens because I could get a room close to the bar so they baby monitor would reach and the wife and I could have dinner after he went to bed in the bar.
You put the baby to bed in the bar and then had dinner with your wife in the room???????
Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
You put the baby to bed in the bar and then had dinner with your wife in the room???????
Yeah, the back room of the bar gets nice and quiet around his bedtime and the smell of stale beer puts him out better than warm milk.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Osthoff is the nicest in Elkhart Lake. Between our PCA regions 2 weekends and ALMS we spend a considerable amout of time there each year.

In terms of food in downtown Elkhart Lake, Lake Street Cafe and The Paddock Club are good. If you want a simple but fantastic burger head to The Brown Bear.

If you have a car and you like beef and prime rib ask for directions to Schwartz's Supper club. It is absolutely the best you will ever have and is out in the middle of no where about 10-15 min outside downtown Elkhart Lake. It is something not to miss. Living in Chicago we have a lot of great steak houses but none of them compare to Schwartz's. I would drive the 2.5 hrs just to eat there.

http://www.schwarzsupperclub.com/

Siebken's is the bar to be at if your a car guy.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Bruce's supper club just north of Elkhart Lake ( I think on County J) is also a great place for dinner- the lake perch is great... actually any of the supper clubs usually out in the middle of nowhere are great- Wisconsin is full of them!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

BTW, I don't play golf but really enjoy the setting of the American Club. Not as close as Osthoff but an easy drive down 23. If your wife is going with you, you can leave her at the Kohler design center though that may end up being rather expensive!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:39 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Osthoff hands down!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:20 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice, guys - I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the Osthoff - the reviews here seem quite positive, as do the ones on Tripadvisor. Also looking forward to trying all of the restaurant recommendations.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Hey Phil, you have been taking lots of Skippy classes.......when are you going to make the jump?........
I was thinking of doing Skippy's race series ... and then my shop convinced me I wanted to go racing in the 944 Cup series instead. So now I'm looking for a nice, clean 944 Cup. I'll let you know when I actually go racing ...

Quick Reply: OT: Road America Lodging