Sponsored by:

Sim Racers? Virtual 24 Hours of Daytona Charity Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sim Racers? Virtual 24 Hours of Daytona Charity Race

Several of my racer friends locally and online encouraged me to check out sim racing as an off-season activity that would actually help once I get out on track this year. Great, just what I need, another time- and money-suck!

Got a Logitech Momo wheel, rFactor and GTR and zoom I'm off into the black hole of virtual motorsports! My husband pokes his head in here to be sure a 14 yr old boy hasn't taken over my office and finds me in my jammies, hands on the wheel, feet on the pedals, eyes trained on the screen, intently working my way around Barber, Road Atlanta, Daytona and Spa... I have been having a blast.

Look what my local SCCA buddies are up to - and yes, I'll be there! (no, not driving, not even sim driving)...the official press release:

A group from the Alabama Sports Car Club of America has set up a partnership with Racing4Research and the Children's Tumor Foundation. We will be running a Virtual 24 Hours of Daytona in our Daytona Prototype while the No. 85 Racing4Research Farnbacher Loles 911 GT3 Cup car assaults the 3.56 mile road course. This will prove to be quite a challenge for us and even more of a challenge for the teams at the Speedway.

We set this partnership up in order to give something back to an amazing cause and the sport that we truly love. Please have a look at our Racing4Research page, to see how they have combined Endurance Racing and this amazing Foundation into something much bigger than the sum of its parts.

There will be live coverage of the Virtual 24 running from 2:30pm central time Saturday the 24th of January all the way up to the checkered flag on Sunday the 25th with a post race wrap up concluding around 3:00 pm central time. We will also be giving you live updates throughout the race on our Facebook page - Keeping you up to date with how we are running compared to the actual race and our thoughts regarding our effort and what is happening at Daytona. There will be a live web cam running throughout the event as well, so you can see when we completely mess things up or occasionally get it right. (The live feed link has not been finalized at this time, please check back over the coming week for details)

If we have inspired you to donate even half a cent per lap or a one time amount to this cause (we should be running in the neighborhood of 800ish laps, that would only be $4.00! Of course I'm sure they would be happy to have a bit more than that : ) click our Racing4Resarch link above and your contributions will go directly to the source.

Quick Reply: Sim Racers? Virtual 24 Hours of Daytona Charity Race