Sponsored by:

Very quick question.....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Very quick question.....

are amateur podium finishing racers (PCA, NASA, SCCA) born with special talent

or earned their way with the help of pro. coaches, continuous practice and determination?......

or maybe all of the above?

What do you say?..........
Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,706 Posts

7 possibly as high as 9 pages.

Kidding. We love ya Pabloito.

Answer: Both. Some have natural talent, but hit a plateau and need the professional/coach to move beyond that. Their ability to adapt and keep on growing especially with self analysis of what they are doing as far as data acquisition is very important.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that in almost all cases it is earned with the reasons you described. But one other significant factor is a brutal honesty with themselves about what they did wrong. The most common thing you hear around SCCA podium finishers, when they lose or crash is that the "ran out of talent". No one to blame but yourself.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
7 possibly as high as 9 pages.

Kidding. We love ya Pabloito.
Pabloito........???????

Paolo to be exact....
thank you Pete......but you never answered the question.....
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pablo,

Let's go back in history. You clearly believe you have natural talent. The first time you came on this board you were bragging how you passed everyone with your Cayman in the yellow group. Am I right or wrong? You thought it was easy and didn't know what all the fuse was about. You wanted to move up to red, black or whatever the highest run group was you could find out there.

Everyone tried to calm you down and as gentle as possible say that it's not like that as you move up and you need to go through all the steps to learn.

You then started to ask about other cars aside from your Cayman, etc.

What is your real question. What you posted is not what you really want to ask. Be specific about your situation.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 I'm still trying to find the very quick question.

Wouldn't it be easier to try and disprove "all of the above" (especially since that's the most probable answer from an anecdotal perspective)?
1) Name any pro or amateur competitor in any sport that became a consistent winner with zero coaching, practice or determination.

2) Now name any pro or amateur competitor in any sport that became a consistent winner with zero talent.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm a podium finisher but as far as i'm concerned there is the winner, then the 1st loser, 2nd loser, and on down (i'm a very consistent loser). I think the winners, in most cases, have talent AND work at it.. whether that is practice, coaches, or whatever.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Pablo,

Let's go back in history. You clearly believe you have natural talent. The first time you came on this board you were bragging how you passed everyone with your Cayman in the yellow group. Am I right or wrong? You thought it was easy and didn't know what all the fuse was about. You wanted to move up to red, black or whatever the highest run group was you could find out there.

Everyone tried to calm you down and as gentle as possible say that it's not like that as you move up and you need to go through all the steps to learn.

You then started to ask about other cars aside from your Cayman, etc.

What is your real question. What you posted is not what you really want to ask. Be specific about your situation.
Pete, first of all, dude you have a great memory...... compliments for that....

The reason I probably passed everyone in the yellow group with my Cayman was probably because everyone else had a much worse/lower hp car to ride in and even greener than I was.....it wasn't certainly for my "superior talents"
(I was only gifted with those in the field of dentistry )

Yes.... I am competitive, and if I do something I want to do it well.....
soooooo..... since I was contemplating CR next season, I wanted to know if to do well (podium finishing) I have to be born with talent or I can somehow purchase it thru coaching......
that is all.... no hidden agenda Pete........

P.S. it is Paolo......Italian, not Spanish.....
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
are amateur podium finishing racers (PCA, NASA, SCCA) born with special talent

or earned their way with the help of pro. coaches, continuous practice and determination?......

or maybe all of the above?

What do you say?..........
Yes. Next question?

Oooo....I have one: when the hell are you gonna go racing?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
+1 I'm still trying to find the very quick question.

Wouldn't it be easier to try and disprove "all of the above" (especially since that's the most probable answer from an anecdotal perspective)?
1) Name any pro or amateur competitor in any sport that became a consistent winner with zero coaching, practice or determination.

2) Now name any pro or amateur competitor in any sport that became a consistent winner with zero talent.
Russel work with me, would you?.......
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm a podium finisher but as far as i'm concerned there is the winner, then the 1st loser, 2nd loser, and on down (i'm a very consistent loser). I think the winners, in most cases, have talent AND work at it.. whether that is practice, coaches, or whatever.
I should hang around you more often.......

Last edited by BostonDMD; 01-14-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes. Next question?

Oooo....I have one: when the hell are you gonna go racing?
Since I have zero talent I need a GREAT coach to make up for it...... do you know anyone?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Since I have zero talent I need a GREAT coach to make up for it...... do you know anyone?
I know a couple.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you graduated from dental school, were you the best dentist in your field in the 1st year or 2? You had to work at it, build experience, see different things you didn't learn in school, right?

When you go racing Pablo, you probably won't be on the podium in your first year. You'll gain the experience and more importantly you'll see from your competitors who consistently make the podium what it takes to get there. Ask as many question as you can. Use your observation skills to take in as much as possible.

Your in a sport that not only takes determination and talent, but time, and money.

You will probably see your progress in your first year from a back marker to a mid-pack runner. After your first year, you'll more likely see what it takes to get from the rear or midfield to the front.

If you have the time and money, just do it. Clearly you have the desire. What are you waiting for, life is too short, do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very quick question.....