Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys who run water in your radiator..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something I've wondered with this rule where some tracks prevent using anti-freeze and folks using only water.

When I raced dirt bikes, we some times had problems when using only water in radiator. The aluminum or magnesium housing around the water pump ended up with "holes" from water cavitation and eventually the water started to seep through the aluminum housing. I've fixed couple of them and seeing those holes (they're like "bubbles" taken out of aluminum).

Is the aluminum different or does this happen with race cars?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chipster beat me to it - trouble light under the rad & the block, leave it on until temps come back to normal. In an enclosed garage, all I needed was a few degrees of safety.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An actual heat lamp would work better than a 100 w bulb, but I would use antifreeze to be safe. Bulbs burn out, power goes off.

Ken
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Ken;
I'm fortunate that my garage, although unheated, stays ~40 degrees unless the outside temp goes down to the single digits, which only lasts a day or two around here.
Happy New Year, btw.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alan,

Happy New Year to you as well. I'm starting to understand why all of the retirees I know move south.

One other thought that I had was using one of the designated "block heaters" that you can find at NAPA on the car until the weather cooperates. It would probably be fine for the block, although your radiator might suffer. Of course the radiator would be easy to drain.

Stay warm and I hope to see you at MidOhio in May if not before....I agreed to co-chair the DE event.

Ken
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to open the draincock on any car that knowingly runs antifreeze in a race. I thought all clubs disallow it.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I'd like to open the draincock on any car that knowingly runs antifreeze in a race. I thought all clubs disallow it.

Tell us how you really feel Mike...

What do you do with your wet Cup in Ct?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by bsr_257
VR dreams he had that much hair on his head...
He still can't reach that bald patch on his shoulder with the Rogaine cream
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

It has water in it, stored indoors at F-Loles. If we truck it down to Sebring we will have to do something about that as the trucks get cold...

Ask the other cup drivers with $45K of damage at Mosport how THEY feel about antifreeze.. I hit it too in T2 (worst place for a slippery track!) but somehow I kept the car on the track.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM
NJcroc
Racer

I put antifreeze in before thanksgiving and take it out again in march, pretty cheap insurance
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tracks could care less, I suspect. Sanctioning bodies make race rules. NASA requires water [water wetter allowed] and AF is verboten. PCA CR does not have a 'no coolant' rule, which seems to be an issue that shoudl be more important to all PCA racers than the constant debates about carpets and the like we see every year. Not sure what SCCA rules are on this.

As Mike says, coolant spills can potentially do massive damage to the OTHER guys cars.

Here's a great clip that's an object lesson on coolant spills, and NOT getting out of your car on a hot track, and its at Spa to boot!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Here's a great clip that's an object lesson on coolant spills, and NOT getting out of your car on a hot track, and its at Spa to boot!
the BMW driver did not seem to be on a cool down lap! Looked like a big impact as well. Wonder if the guy will get out of the car the next time
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

As for cold weather, I never thought about the cold, my garage is attached to the house so I just opened the internal door to make sure the warm air passes through. You can imagine my wife is thrilled with the draft. (probably the least economical way but whant it was 2F last night it helps keep the car warm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you guys who run water in your radiator..