Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari favortism?............Nah............

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the way I read the article is that Ferrari is simply a better negotiator than the other teams and got a bigger piece of the pie for it.
It now sounds like Ferrari is leading the charge in trying to get the other teams more money as well. And you know what? They are right. 100% MF-ing right! The business of F1 would not exist without the teams and it is a huge business. The teams should share more in that success and have a greater say in the decisions made that directly affect them. Ecclestone is losing it in a big way, and while he has done great things for F1 in the past, its the future of the sport we need to be worrying about. While its true that losing a track or two here and there shouldnt be a big deal in and of itself, when you are losing traditional long-time venues that attract millions of fans, and you are pissing off the teams who attract those millons of fans, well you might want to step back and take a look at wtf is going on around you.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh? A secret deal under the table to get them way more money than anyone else and pay for at least 1/4 of the next season is accredited to Ferrari's negotiating? I've heard it all now.

The point of having championship rewards is for people to be able to strive for a goal and get rewards at the end, it should not be subject to negotiation. You wouldnt take a ribbon for winning a PCA race when the next guy gets a free set of tires would you?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
DWalker
Racer

Well all I know is that if I signed a contract stating that I will put two cars on the grid every single race which ensures millons of loyal fans will be tuning in which cost me millions to do you better bet your *** I am going to negotiate as hard as possible for the best deal I can- and yeah, other teams may get a raw deal but thats PROFESSIONAL RACING- they get paid to be there.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Yes, Ferrari got a great deal - at the time none of the teams wanted to renew the Concorde agreement, and the manufacturers were working on setting up the GPWC as a replacement for F1... Ferrari were the first to sign on to an extension of the Concorde agreement, and if I were running FerrariF1 - you can bet I would have asked for a higher share of F1 revenue. I am sure Redbull and Williams also have better deals than the others (since they were early signers soon after Ferrari)

Too bad for BMW, Mercedes and the rest of the 5 who signed much later... they tried to bluff Bernie and lost...
Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ferrari has always had a better deal than the rest ......this was the bonus.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ferrari and F1 go hand in hand. They have for 50 years. It is nothing new to consider that Ferrari can hold out to get the best deal they can with Bernie. Well the real problem is not with Ferrari, but with Bernie.

Bernie gets all the money from F1 and then he decides how to give it to the teams. The agreements do not just give $$ for team championship points. There are many other deals in the process simply because some teams "make the sport".

Look endurance racing is the same. Having Porsche in endurance racing makes it in many ways. This why there has aways been a struggle between Porsche and series organizers. The delema has been for years how do you craft the rules so that Porsche will come and legitimize the series with out dominating to the point is a Porsche parade. Same goes for F1 except that Bernie controls the money and Max the rules. Since the cars are designed for F1 fron the ground up it is harder in the rules to create special allowances for a certain team. So one way to help out is money. So you have a two headed monster with an even more complex money trail. In some sense sould Ferrari not get more money from F1. Consider what percent of F1 fans consider themselves Ferrari fans. My guess it would close to all to the team fans combined. These people buy lots of merchandise and tickets.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
DWalker
Racer

RIIIIGHHHHHT-

Well, with the ability of anyone in F1 to examine F1's books (as claimed by Ecclestone himself in the posted article) how exactly is this a "secret" deal? What makes it clandestine if every single team can simply look at the books and say well Huh? Ferrari gets 80M more than we do.. Ohhhh thats right, they played thier cards right back when the contract was being negotiated. Ecclestone is just trying to cast Ferrari in a bad light to save his own ***. If the teams get behind this and actually get transparency ( I mean honestly no one but Nernie and a few Swiss bankers know the true extent of F1's incomes) and actually get a part of the series revenues some of those teams wont have to worry about a spec motor package or keeping costs down.

Ferrari has not always gotten the better deal from F1, but they have gotten better at understanding the game.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWalker
RIIIIGHHHHHT-

Ferrari has not always gotten the better deal from F1, but they have gotten better at understanding the game.

LMAO,,, Would love to hear when Ferrari didn't get the best deal going
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, like this is news...

All the members of FOTA were given this information so they all knew and accepted it. And for a reason, go look at the F1 race and 75% of the fans wear red clothing.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
DWalker
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LMAO,,, Would love to hear when Ferrari didn't get the best deal going

I know it might be hard, but think back to the Renault/Benneton era and the what? 12 years Ferrari went without a win? Often without even a podium? Yeah, as soon as MS showed up with his team from Benneton Ferrari was instantly back in the race, but thats not favoritism, thats simply good strategy on Ferraris part.
Face it, the boys from Maranello have been at this a long long time and have it pretty much figured out. Its not thier fault if the rest of the teams are playing catch-up.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toyota team president
“He (Bernie) may be trying to (split FOTA) but all the information that was given is very transparent and openly shared among the members of FOTA, so it was a bit of a non-event because everybody is aware of the historic status
Rest here
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44836
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Yeah, MS & the gang from Benneton changed Ferrari back into a contender.

The two Stooges, Bernie & Mad Max constantly changed the rules, keeping Ferrari in front for the past few years.

For most of the last decade, Formula One's been a sham favoring Ferrari, in order to attract the mass TV audience.

Most of the people who watch... fit the average "man in the street" profile, which means the only Brand they can identify is Ferrari.

Toyota just announced that they lost 1.8 Billion Dollars this year, and Toyota expects 2009 to be even worse. It won't be long before we see another team or two exiting the F-1 Circus.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
DWalker
Racer

The two Stooges, Bernie & Mad Max constantly changed the rules, keeping Ferrari in front for the past few years.

For most of the last decade, Formula One's been a sham favoring Ferrari, in order to attract the mass TV audience.
I would really like that explained to me with some facts to back it up. last I looked the rules appled to everyone and ferrari has been stung just as much as everyone else. They certianly werent in favor of the tire changes, engine rules, aerodynamic limitations etc. that have been passed over the years, which usually was specifically meant to hurt Ferrari more than most. The simple fact is theyresearch, develop, and test 325 or more days a year. They have a car in the wind tunnel and another on a shaker rig while the actual race car is on the track. Changes are made in near-real time in both aerodynamics, engine output, and suspension settings. They have people working very closely with F1 itself to make sure that they have input on rule changes and they have teams of the most talented engineers on the planet whose only job is to make the car go faster, no matter what the rules are or how often they change, and they dont seem to care much about the budget. They are where they are because they work damned hard at it.
I have continously heard all the bitching about Ferrari being the favored son and maybe thats true, but I havent read about Ferrari stealing technology from other teams, I dont see them penalized for fuel tank infractions, and in fact I cant recall the last time a Ferrari failed tech for anything, but there are recent examples of others doing these very same things.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hhmmm.... I guess you don't remember just a few of the many instances such as the...

FIAsco at the U S Formula One Grand Prix... over the Michelin tires?

Oh, and the ovens Ferrari tried to pass off as... Tire Warmers.

Nor the favoritism MS aka as Chop Schuey benefited from for all those many years.

Hey Walker, For some Ferrari fans, I guess being naive.... is prefered to reality!!!

Try this site.... Bernie sez Ferrari's been Bought & Paid FOR !!!

HTTP:/www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5372488.ece

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-23-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I know it might be hard, but think back to the Renault/Benneton era and the what? 12 years Ferrari went without a win? Often without even a podium? Yeah, as soon as MS showed up with his team from Benneton Ferrari was instantly back in the race, but thats not favoritism, thats simply good strategy on Ferraris part.
Face it, the boys from Maranello have been at this a long long time and have it pretty much figured out. Its not thier fault if the rest of the teams are playing catch-up.
lol... YOU MUST BE NEW TO THE SPORT ! Renault .benneton era , the renault benneton era was 1 yr .. yes 1 championship and yes Ferrarai has always had the advantage in F1 ...ask Williams or Mclaren how many of their technology have been banned because Ferrari couldn't figure it out..

Special Bridgestone tires when bridgestone was the only supplier... Please the list goes on and on Ferrari manipulation of the sport with the great Michael Screwmacher is just the topping ! they have enjoyed such for years and Little LH , will now make it a lot harder for ferrari to manipulate as they have done in the past ....Yes the public won't let it and Bernie sudden talkative traits is from the strength of Hamilton, he finally has a bargaining chip ....

Enjoy ! .. LMAO , renualt /benneton era ..

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Yeah, MS & the gang from Benneton changed Ferrari back into a contender.

Most of the people who watch... fit the average "man in the street" profile, which means the only Brand they can identify is Ferrari.

Toyota just announced that they lost 1.8 Billion Dollars this year, and Toyota expects 2009 to be even worse. It won't be long before we see another team or two exiting the F-1 Circus.
Shhh! to admit this would be to admit MS is a fraud , something history will not forget as time and others roll on .....

I would really like that explained to me with some facts to back it up. last I looked the rules appled to everyone and ferrari has been stung just as much as everyone else. They certianly werent in favor of the tire changes, engine rules, aerodynamic limitations etc. that have been passed over the years, which usually was specifically meant to hurt Ferrari more than most. The simple fact is theyresearch, develop, and test 325 or more days a year. They have a car in the wind tunnel and another on a shaker rig while the actual race car is on the track. Changes are made in near-real time in both aerodynamics, engine output, and suspension settings. They have people working very closely with F1 itself to make sure that they have input on rule changes and they have teams of the most talented engineers on the planet whose only job is to make the car go faster, no matter what the rules are or how often they change, and they dont seem to care much about the budget. They are where they are because they work damned hard at it.
I have continously heard all the bitching about Ferrari being the favored son and maybe thats true, but I havent read about Ferrari stealing technology from other teams, I dont see them penalized for fuel tank infractions, and in fact I cant recall the last time a Ferrari failed tech for anything, but there are recent examples of others doing these very same things.
Try the 07 australian GP mate ....... New to the game Huh ,,,,,, Ray, ITC, we might have a new amigo in the making.... Welcome mate

Quick Reply: Ferrari favortism?............Nah............