Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
I'm looking forward to 3-5 years down the road from now when lawsuits and politics have calmed down (somewhat) and we are left with very safe devices that we can all benefit from..
3-5 years is optimistic. I've seen patent applications pending for 5 years, let alone patent litigation.
I'm going to guess, and it's just a guess, that H&D are simply "intimidating" the smaller H&N restraint company here......I'm guessing their patent claims will not be upheld....but just a guess.

...and we are left with very safe devices that we can all benefit from..
I would imagine the folks at H&D would disagree. They would prefer to have JUST the HANS device, as they have gotten the FIA to already do (AFAIK, there is still NO OTHER FIA H&N restraint spec approved...just the HANS).
Remember, it's now a business.

One of the things I see on the defender that might be an issue, and Circuit mentioned it before, was if your head dips down your helmet can hit the device. Just like when the belts had to be changed to have the sliding device moved down to clear...same thing.
The folks at Leatt actually made that part of the design, to stop forward head motion/extention/stress.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I agree, Hans has a tough case. But I dont' think the Hans patent requires a one-piece design.

IMHO the Hans patent requires (1) the tether to be horizontal, and (2) the rear upright collar has to come up to about eye level. Neither seems to be true with the Defnder.
It's been years since I read it. Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected, sir.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

And more recently on the legal front, i.e. the past 24 hours:
Leatt Corporation, a Nevada corporation (PINKSHEETS: LEAT)("Company" or Leatt Corporation"), announced today that a South African High Court granted Leatt Corporation's request for a restraining order against Karl Ebel and Grant Nelson, former employees of Leatt Corporation, which order temporarily restrains them from disclosure of proprietary information about and commercial exploitation of the Leatt Brace ® Moto-R prototype 2.

The injunction was granted on December 5, 2008 and will remain in force until resolution of Leatt Corporation's pending legal proceeding against Mr. Ebel, Mr. Williams and Mr. Nelson in the South African court. Leatt Corporation alleges that the former employees are selling a neck brace (through a California company) that is based on and violates Leatt Corporation's intellectual property rights; that neck brace is sold under the name "DefNder." Leatt Corporation intends to vigorously pursue its claims in this matter....
From here.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Well that explains why I haven't heard from Karl Ebel in a while.

I had been emailing him back and forth when they were developing the Leatt Moto Kart (my son was one of the first to wear one and had the misforunte of testing it at Moroso with subsequent return for analysis and a free replacement unit).

Time to let the lawyers off lead, this is going to be interesting.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
And more recently on the legal front, i.e. the past 24 hours:
... Leatt Corporation alleges that the former employees are selling a neck brace (through a California company) that is based on and violates Leatt Corporation's intellectual property rights; that neck brace is sold under the name "DefNder." ....
From here.
WTF?? I see no similarities whatsoever between the Leatt Brace and the DefNder. Am I missing something?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

WTF?? I see no similarities whatsoever between the Leatt Brace and the DefNder. Am I missing something?
It could simply be a violation of non compete/non disclosure agreements signed as a condition of his employment.
Happens when someone leaves a job and goes directly to a competitor.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Given that Leatt was doing virtually nothing in the auto racing segment of the motorsports market, like filling orders, it's not surprising they were motivated to leave and concentrate on autos.

I've met both of these guys and believe Grant Nelson is a good engineer (Karl is the marketing side of the equation, IIRC). Developing a product that performs better at lower cost does not sit well with certain parties.

I agree with Lewis that H&D are huffing and puffing. That can be a dangerous game to play, especially if the HANS test data and videos get aired in open court.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, Karl was director of marketing....last time I got an email from him.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

...Developing a product that performs better at lower cost does not sit well with certain parties..
In the karting world, Leatt was first to market with the Leatt Moto GPX/Kart, $395.
Shortly thereafter, Valhalla Racing developed their Safety 360 device, $180
Shortly thereafter, Leatt introduced a 'new' version of their brace for $195.

Both are approved by the sanctioning bodies and coexisting on the grid.

So, it can happen.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

presume it 'could' also be a design from Leatt which they borrowed. who knows?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

2. It does not release as easily as the HANS. With the belt guides being more "positive" there is more resistance.
This would be a concern to me in an accident where you need to get out quick (think fire). How is it on emergancy exits?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
In the karting world, Leatt was first to market with the Leatt Moto GPX/Kart, $395.
Shortly thereafter, Valhalla Racing developed their Safety 360 device, $180
Shortly thereafter, Leatt introduced a 'new' version of their brace for $195.

Both are approved by the sanctioning bodies and coexisting on the grid.

So, it can happen.
Smart sanctioning bodies.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

...I agree with Lewis that H&D are huffing and puffing. That can be a dangerous game to play, especially if the HANS test data and videos get aired in open court.
Yes, I'd be shocked if the judge doesn't shoot this down before trial, given the Hans patent's wording.

And I doubt Hans would want their profit margins made public, which would happen at trial -- guaranteed.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Smart sanctioning bodies.
In a twist of fate, this year they allowed Senior (16 years old +) competitors to NOT wear a foam neck collar (or brace), following the European lead.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

HANS files suit for patent infringement against DefNder:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...75&FS=BUSINESS

I'm not surprised...

Quick Reply: defNder, new H&N