Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Where do you get the extenders?
Mike,

I bought them from another Rennlister, but they are available from JIC.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I'd like to see that article. The whole purpose of 2 & 3 way adjustable shocks is to adjust them to have the correct dampening. I do not understand how one could be that far superior to another.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I was asking the OP about lap times & tracks so we can make a better recommendation. IMO, unless he is cording the outside of R tires because he can't get enough negative camber OR he is within a couple of seconds of the top drivers, then upgrading the suspension will do very little. At a track like VIR, we are talking in the sub 2:10 range at a minimum for a street GT3 at DEs.
I agree. Just putting on remote reservoirs like Motons or JRZ's is no guarantee that your lap times will drop. I have seen many racers put on triple and double adjustable shocks and garner very little improvement in lap times. These shocks will help you only if you are really wringing out the car to begin with. I spent a year figuring the shocks and springs out. Only when I really pushed my driving did my lap times significantly drop.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me see if I can get something more concrete, I'm seeing Stanton next week and he's part of the Yoko cup. All i have is word of mouth, and I shouldn't have posted without having evidence. I apologize.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I carry the KW's along with others, but on my own car I will be running either Moton or JRZ's. Still- the KW's (and I am talking about the Variant 3's here) are simply awesome street/track dampers that many users will not be able to fully utilize. On every vehicle- Mitsu Evo, Subaru STI, BMW E-46, Porsche 996, etc. that I have driven with them on I have been impressed with them, especially for the money.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom, it really depends on what else you have done and plan to do to the suspension if you are considering moving to an adj damper. It also helps to know what tires you are going to run.

If you are going to be at the Carolinas 3-day event next weekend, let's chat.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Let me see if I can get something more concrete, I'm seeing Stanton next week and he's part of the Yoko cup. All i have is word of mouth, and I shouldn't have posted without having evidence. I apologize.
You are comparing to a pro driver. He may be able to extract more from a 2/3 way shock, but very few amateur racers can.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DEll I will see you there !To all others thanks for your ideas it sounds like the KW variant 3 is a good cheap option and that the JIC-CRoss is also a good Idea .My main question was if there was something les expensive than the Motons but with similar performance .Thanks again HOM
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking forward to it Tom

You'll get to see the new race car!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

great Dell!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you also need to factor in the cost and ease of maintenance on the various adjustable dampers. They will need to be refreshened, and I think this is where Moton and JRZ have an advantage over other shocks like KW and JIC. Further, the JRZ and Moton are easily modified for droop and the internal shim stack and other valving parts and can be rebuilt by a number of distributors here in the US who stock the replacement parts.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 11-12-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I agree. Just putting on remote reservoirs like Motons or JRZ's is no guarantee that your lap times will drop. I have seen many racers put on triple and double adjustable shocks and garner very little improvement in lap times. These shocks will help you only if you are really wringing out the car to begin with. I spent a year figuring the shocks and springs out. Only when I really pushed my driving did my lap times significantly drop.
And to add to this, unless the car is really being driven and pushed to the limits will you actually be able to make the best adjustments to the shocks.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another point about shocks that may not be known to some. There is no perfect setting. Everything is a compromise between being compliant enough to allow the suspension to follow the road, and being stiff enough to control the body motions. In general, on smooth tracks you will want to stiffen the shocks to have better control of the body roll, and on bumpy tracks you will want to soften the shocks to allow the suspension to better follow the road (at te expense of body control). That is why fixed shocks can be right some places, and wrong at others. Adjustable shocks allow you to tune your suspension more to suit the track that you are at, and therefore can provide greater performance.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Here is another point about shocks that may not be known to some. There is no perfect setting. Everything is a compromise between being compliant enough to allow the suspension to follow the road, and being stiff enough to control the body motions. In general, on smooth tracks you will want to stiffen the shocks to have better control of the body roll, and on bumpy tracks you will want to soften the shocks to allow the suspension to better follow the road (at te expense of body control). That is why fixed shocks can be right some places, and wrong at others. Adjustable shocks allow you to tune your suspension more to suit the track that you are at, and therefore can provide greater performance.
+1, but I am really anxious to hear how some of the other folks respond to your statement. I have always wondered (but never asked)... How do you quantify a shock as being "better" than another...

Assuming all shocks has an adequate range of adjustment... What makes one better than another?
Service?
Overheating?
Step size (9 vs 18 vs infinite)
Ability to maintain the setting (do some drift?)

As far as tuning a car to a track.. isn't that done mainly with the springs/swaybars then the shocks reset to the new spring?

Very interested to hear others thoughts.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see it mentioned but JRZ makes non-reservoir coilovers with the same damping adjustment range, JRZ RS. No need to mess with nitrogen pressures and a little less expensive. Seemed like a good choice for a DE only car, have them on my car now, huge difference than the OEM shocks/springs. Just FYI..

Quick Reply: JIC-Cross vs Motons