Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Helmet eject system

This is the first I heard of a device to help EMT's remove your helmet with minimal risk (after immobilzing neck/spine).

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/r...-helmet-system

Anyone else heard of this? Any mention at Club Racing level?
Snell/SFI/FIA approval?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two Enzo
Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Do the EMT's at your track(s) have the appropriate "inflator bulb". It is useless without one.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

device used to be called "hats off" and emt can use their BP cuff bulb. Also many ER's already have this system that slided up the helmet and inflates to remove the helmet. They deal with cycle crashes routinely and this kind of device is used routinely. I am not sure of the value of carrying one around in your helmet.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

The average EMS provider is trained on how to safely remove helmets. This device adds another layer of complexity to a very simply problem.

My ER does not use any special devices to remove helmets. This can be done very safely without them.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
95m3racer
Pro

I think the main concern was having the helmet "hang up" on the head. If the helmet is fitted properly, it will be snug, and will cause some friction while removing it. This device seems to basically allow the neck/head to stay in a fix position, without any upward force being introduced. It does make a "simple" problem more complex, but this technique has been around for a while, using air filled bladders to remove many different types of objects off a person while restricting movement.

It'll be interesting to see what, if any, regulations are setup for a device like this.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

just dont accidentally hook it up to your cool suit or drink bottle pump.

Seriously now, I have not seen this used at all with the open wheel crowd. Not yet, at least.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Our hospital actively support Laguna Seca. This system is not regularly used by the pro and club racers in the area. We will cut off a helmet if there is any risk of an unstable cervical fracture. The video imbedded in the HMS web site didn't show the unit working. I would be interested to see something concrete and why this is better than the standard cevical spine protocols that we use daily.

OBTW, we see many more football injuries where careful removal of their helmet is paramount. I consider these players, who are generally highschool aged, at a higher risk for neck injury than a race car driver with a HANS.

Again, I would like to see some data to support this helmet extraction system.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Our hospital actively support Laguna Seca. This system is not regularly used by the pro and club racers in the area. We will cut off a helmet if there is any risk of an unstable cervical fracture. The video imbedded in the HMS web site didn't show the unit working. I would be interested to see something concrete and why this is better than the standard cevical spine protocols that we use daily.

OBTW, we see many more football injuries where careful removal of their helmet is paramount. I consider these players, who are generally highschool aged, at a higher risk for neck injury than a race car driver with a HANS.

Again, I would like to see some data to support this helmet extraction system.
Data? In the racing safety industry? Let's not get scientific...

(I've seen it around, but, as already mentioned, I've heard the EMTs have some magic they regularly perform, so it is not used much.)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

This system has been demonstrated and recommended at Open Road Racing.....think high speed (200+mph) road rally in the Nevada desert. Our rescue crews highly recommend this system and know how to use it. There isn't an emergency room near enough to cut the helmet off safely, so the common wisdom is that this system would give the first responders another means to perhaps quickly and safely remove the helmet in the field (or desert). Blow a tire near 200mph (has happened several times) and the outcome isn't pretty....another safety item is a welcome addition if used properly.

Rich....199mph in the Nevada desert....
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still wondering about the implications of using such a device assuming it has no (FIA/SFI/Snell/pick your own) apparent certifications.
Something even as simple as a balaclava is SFI/FIA rated.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's see it tested and verified first. If it works as claimed, it would be better to have such as system built into each helmet, ensuring that it is properly installed.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Let's see it tested and verified first. If it works as claimed, it would be better to have such as system built into each helmet, ensuring that it is properly installed.

How should it be tested? Serious question.

I saw it demonstrated by the safety/resucue squad. Sure enough, it pushes the helmet off. Does it exert any force on the neck? Well, I guess that could be tested and quantified. But to me, it appears that I would rather have this item push the helmet off me, than to have the helmet pulled off in some manner (assuming cutting it off was not an option).

Rich
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

It only takes two people to safely take off a helmet, one to stabilize the cervical spine and the other to remove the helmet. EMS people do this all the time.

Quick Reply: Helmet eject system