Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie looking for track wheel/tire size advice

Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
markpao
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I reading this correctly- your track car is a convertible? I don't think it's a wise idea to convert this type of vehicle into a tack car. OK to try it out a couple of times but if you are going to be serious about it, get something with a roof.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markpao
Am I reading this correctly- your track car is a convertible? I don't think it's a wise idea to convert this type of vehicle into a tack car. OK to try it out a couple of times but if you are going to be serious about it, get something with a roof.
I'm not planning to make it a track car. It's what I've got so it's what I use.
I just wanted to make it as good on the track as was practical. But it seems there are a lot of people telling me to give it up. Maybe that's what I do. It will be years before I can buy a coupe to use on the track.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are at a cross roads... Invest the new dollars into a cab or hold the money and "swap" for a coupe? Me, I'd make a decision between "weekend fair weather cruiser" and "do everything including track" coupe. I wouldn't be investing more dollars into a cab.

Another thing to consider is that with just street tires and no mods other than pads and fluid, you can continue to refine your skill set. You don't need track tires to learn and improve. When I get a new-to-me car I stay on a new set of street tires until they are used up. Get to know the car, have a little more feedback and margin of error. So I leave 1 second on the table at Lime Rock - who cares? Once the set is used up, switch for R-comps and then enjoy learning the car's limits all over again. If you need a set of tires anyway, then replace with a set of shaved RA1s. They are a great "next step" from street tires and they are DOT approved, have good rain characteristics, last long, etc.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I'm not planning to make it a track car. It's what I've got so it's what I use.
I just wanted to make it as good on the track as was practical. But it seems there are a lot of people telling me to give it up. Maybe that's what I do. It will be years before I can buy a coupe to use on the track.
Shannon - here's the problem. Tossing on R tires will give you better grip, no doubt about it, but without the correct alignment, stiffer suspension, sways, etc. to keep the contact patch on the racing surface you are just tossing on an expensive band-aid IMO. I would do a bolt-in roll bar combined with seats and harnesses 1st thing. All of these things can be removed if you want to move to a coupe fully modified for the track down the road. Suspension mods can be reversed also, but at considerable expense. Just have fun with what you have for now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newbie looking for track wheel/tire size advice