Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Couple of PCA racing questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/460954-couple-of-pca-racing-questions.html)

Wormhole 10-17-2008 04:07 PM

Couple of PCA racing questions

After reading the rules there are a few items I am uncertain about. Can you guys help me out.

1.Does the window net need to be SFI approved?
2.Is a center net needed?
3.Is a fire retardant balaclava needed?
4.Nomex underwear is not needed with a 3-piece suit, correct?
5.Do FIA seats expire? A seat brace is not needed for a FIA compliant seat, correct?
6.Does the rookie X need to be in any certain color or size? This goes on the back only, correct?
7.For GT classes the GT does not need to be part of the decal, ex. GT2S can show as 2S, correct?
8.Where does one get a blood type decal?
9.Class and Number needs to be on the hood as well?

Thanks

pat056 10-17-2008 04:59 PM

OK. I'll get some of these:
1) I think so. Ask your racer dealer, he'll know. Get the one that's approved my the most clubs. You may want to race other venues.
2) Don't need center net w/PCA. They're less than $100 so to be safe and race other venues, I'd get one (NASA requires)
3) Balaclava only required with facial hair. However, for a few bucks, it will keep your helmet from getting all sweaty and can be washed easier than you helmet.
4) Correct. 3-piece suit = no underwear
5) If you have a brace, it extends the replacement time on your seat. However, you must nave a high density foam between your seat and the brace. I think a seat can be used pretty much indefinitely w/the brace and foam.
6) 'X' needs to be 4" and made of 1" strip. I think it's just required on rear, but I'd put on front too.
7) Correct. Don't need to show 'GT', just 2s
8) I just used a lettering machine to punch out my blood type.
9) Class # on hood, sides, and rear. Must be visible to T&S or you will be BF'd and lose track time. Example, don't but light blue #'s on a light blue car.
Be sure to check your rules as these requirements are subject to change.

LVDell 10-17-2008 05:00 PM

These are things covered in both the rules (quick dowload) as well as having the "talk" with Susan.

Further, I would add that you need to be responsible for you and you only. What I mean by that is while some might be able to answer these questions, you might also get WRONG answers. The ultimate authority is PCA themselves. I started a thread a few days ago to make sure I was contacting the proper person at PCA to make sure I have documentation "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

I got a reply VERY FAST from Donna and she answered them VERY detailed.

Sean F 10-17-2008 05:13 PM

what's the update with that Dell?

Mark in Baltimore 10-17-2008 05:13 PM

If you're a long-haired hippie and your hair goes past the helmet, you must wear a balaclava, as well.

Baklava is optional but recommended if you're running in G class. ;)

Sean F 10-17-2008 05:15 PM

and if you drive too slowly we force you to wear women's underpants

shiners780 10-17-2008 05:17 PM

"3-piece suit"? Man, you PCA racers are uber formal!

:)

LVDell 10-17-2008 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sean F (Post 5911531)
what's the update with that Dell?

oops! I'll post in that thread right now.

Jarez Mifkin 10-17-2008 06:55 PM

The suit must be a one piece, not three. And it can be two or three layers, just as long as it meets SFI3.2A/5 or FIA8856-2000.

Three piece suit... I'm going to make a nomex neck tie!

good hands 10-17-2008 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore (Post 5911533)
If you're a long-haired hippie and your hair goes past the helmet, you must wear a balaclava, as well.

;)

What about those wackos with pony tails ? :)

Mark in Baltimore 10-17-2008 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by good hands (Post 5911847)

That's commie pinko wacko, donchaknow. :)

MLIN 10-17-2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by good hands (Post 5911847)

then you need to cut a hole in the back of your helmet (and balaclava) obviously. And wear three piece suit with pink nomex neck tie.

Wormhole 10-17-2008 08:45 PM

Man this thread has really gone south.
One question I'm still not clear on. Do FIA approved seats expire?

Mark in Baltimore 10-17-2008 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wormhole (Post 5912072)
Man this thread has really gone south.
One question I'm still not clear on. Do FIA approved seats expire?

As far as PCA is concerned, yes, they do expire after five years of date of manufacture. PCA entertained the idea of stretching it out to six years but AFAIK it did not pass.

Geoffrey 10-18-2008 09:16 AM

PCA does not have an exipration date for the seat. An FIA seat that is within 6 years of the manufacture date DOES NOT require a seat back brace. You can continue to use the seat after 6 years IF you install a properly designed seat back brace.